What makes Empyrion Different from other Sci-Fi Survival games?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jawatraders, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Jawatraders

Jawatraders Lieutenant

I'm sure most people have seen quite a few Sci-Fi themed survival games floating around the internet. But what makes them all different from each other? We've already seen a few examples of features appearing in one game that suddenly appear in another. (Although that could just be due to the genre itself)

So out of all the Sci-Fi survival games out there, what makes Empyrion stand out?

2. Bigfeet

Bigfeet Captain

Ummmm ... its universe has not been populated with Jawa's yet ... ? :D

GoldDragon likes this.
  3. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Captain

1. Fully voxel based.
    2. Great building aspects that keep getting better and better.
    3. Amazing small dev team that never stops trying to improve the game.
    4. It's not JUST a building game like some of the others in the genre. It has full survival and exploration aspects as well (and they are constantly being improved as well.)
    5. Amazing value. Some (many) of us have thousands of hours in this game. To get that many hours of enjoyment from such a small purchase price is an extraordinary value, especially if purchased on sale.

My list could go on and on. I highly recommend getting the game and giving it a try. The in-game documentation is years behind the features however, so I recommend watching some good (recent) basic tutorial videos to help you decide and learn how to play.

4. cpontin

cpontin Ensign

Being able to build quickly and easily and then actually make good use of your work is very rewarding.

Having tried a few of the others, I find EGS the most satisfying (and addictive).

Sephrajin likes this.
  5. spacegal

spacegal Lieutenant

I must be honest with all of you: I'm a fan of No man's sky and I cannot avoid some comparison with that gem.

The first 2016 version of nms was really bad this just to state that Empyrion has definitely received more love from its developers because Empyrion v1.0.x was already beautiful in the very same year 2016. So one up for Empyrion devs and support: top notch really.

Then nms after the failure of the 2016 received the deserved love and it evolved in some magnificent piece of software, recently it earned some award and in my opinion as of now it's the best game in its genre. When a modern fan of nms looks at Empyrion he'll see a very well done game more centered on sandbox than on exploring and Empyrion is perfect like it is because in nms crafting and resource management is nothing special: it's there because you need it to explore better nothing more.

Empyrion resources and build system is arguably the best ever done - only 7 days to die has something comparable but the devs there chose to prevent from giving depth to the game world so... - light years more advanced than the crafting in nms.

In Empyrion it may happen that the idea of exploring the stellar system never comes to you because there are so many things to do that you can spend your entire gametime in a single planet. In nms you may spend several hours on a planet then you'll feel a strong desire to explore everything.

From an action point of view I think both Empyrion and nms have done their work: the battles in both game are perfect for the type of game. Nms is more frenetic, nothing like elite dangerous but perfect to offer you a challenge. In Empyrion the battles are slower because the pace of the game is slower than nms and definitely were designed to give you an idea of the power of your vessel built in days of work :)

So Empyrion and Nms are two faces of a same coin to me: Empyrion is the craft -resource gathering side, Nms is the action - exploration side.

They're both wonderful game no one is better than the other because they focus on different aspect of a space game: we players are lucky to have them both :)

jadefalcon and Sephrajin like this.
  6. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Captain

It’s not only still being developed but actually making good progress?

7. spacegal

spacegal Lieutenant

Sorry man I didn't catch your message and I don't know how to answer... is it something ironic maybe or something else?

Thank you for any explanation :)

8. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Captain

There have been a number of space survival games that have come into Early Release and either languished or perished there. Empyrion has not been one of those. It’s quite lively and actively being developed and continues to grow and improve.

Siege Inc. likes this.
  9. spacegal

spacegal Lieutenant

Ok... and I think to have never said the contrary... just curious: have you read my Empyrion review on Steam? :)

I guess not :)

Bye!

10. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Captain

Nope. I pay almost no attention to Steam forums, or Steam that much in general. I also don’t put much stock in other peoples’ opinions, especially on the Internet. I prefer to make my own decisions and form my own opinions, without the influence of others. I may, and often do, share or completely disagree with those opinions, but at least I know in the end I was able to give a fair and just chance to whatever it might be - be it a game, a movie, a book, or what have you.

As for Steam itself... I just find it awkward and cumbersome, though I’ve never been a big fan of Valve, or some of their practices. But that’s me.

11. spacegal

spacegal Lieutenant

I'm sorry my friend: of course you're looking for war and I'm not.

I don't know if here I could help, but for sure I'll try to contribute to the community: good luck for your battle looking!

12. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Captain

We must be completely misunderstanding each other. I’m not looking to fight or argue. Just sharing my point of view. Civil discussions help communities too.

spacegal likes this.
  13. spacegal

spacegal Lieutenant

I'm always open to civil discussions - and I guarantee you that i'm also skilled in solving not so civil ones while being in office :)

So I'll try to recap: the thread subject is what makes empyrion different from other sci-fi survival games. In my previous post I took advantage of my experience in no man's sky and I tried to compare the two games.

The I hope not so hidden message included in my message :) was to describe to EGS lovers what EGS has done better than NMS and in the meantime to NMS fans to try EGS because it has some aspect not so advanced in NMS.

If you disagree with my point it's of course fine and if you could add up something useful for the thread I'm here to talk and thank you.

Regards.

14. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Captain

I am also a fan of NMS, was a preorder holder, and still enjoy NMS. I enjoyed it from day one, but mainly because I understood what they were doing - something the rest of the internet didn't seem to do.

To reiterate my point - Emyprion has a very lively, healthy development, shows regular and continual updates and feedback - something a number of other games trying to enter this particular arena have not, and many of them have gone incomplete or development has fallen off for them entirely.

Siege Inc. likes this.
  15. khulkhuum

khulkhuum Ensign

Looking at various games that promised a lot and were abandoned after some time, makes me think it is not an easy industry (making games).

Looking at various ways people create games, with varying degrees of urgency for updates, communication with the players and fans, as well as different goals developers strive for (topics in general, not specific like implementing feature X or Y), makes me think it is not an easy industry.

Looking at various titles that come out bugged, new updates straying from the nominal performance it should have, as well as decisions concerning features being regretted shortly after an update goes out, because players so much dislike them, makes me think it is not an easy industry.

There is always some field where you can improve how you work, what you strive, how you manage the goals (especially when you have so much on your TO DO list), even in view of hundreds of people having different opinions on what you do, makes me think it is not an easy industry.

Yet, EGS thrives like the few titles I cherish, even though for the big changes you need to sometimes wait a long time. Despite all of the above, there are people who aim for something better and they will achieve it, even more so with the support of their loyal fans.

So yeah... Building space ships, exploration, fighting (even though it is not hyper action packed) and the sense of accomplishment expands alongside fun and emotional moments. Huge potential for being among the best games there are will surely not be squandered.

16. spacegal

spacegal Lieutenant

I totally agree with you: in another thread I also proposed that Eleon teach something to other companies and also to give them an award because they're top and with a game that in my opinion is not easy to be managed.

17. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Other games might do certain aspects better (NMS has a bigger universe to explore, Space Engineers does engineering better, etc), but Empyrion is the only one I've seen that really offers it all.

zztong and Hector G like this.
  18. cpontin

cpontin Ensign

Ultimately making games is a business and businesses must make money. When something is released when it’s clearly not ready it’s often to generate revenue and this is most often seen when a stake holder or publisher wants to get a product to market and see a return in their investment.

The ones that keep quiet on what they are working on, get on with making their game and make us wait until it’s ready (my preference) are often not under that external pressure.

19. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

There don't seem to be a lot of choices when it comes to sci fi survival games yet. There are several in development but most aren't finished and development seems to have stalled on at least a couple of them. Of them all Empyrion or Astroneer seem like your best bet for Early Access titles. No Man's Sky if you want something that's "done".

One of the things I consider when deciding whether or not to buy a game; how actively it's being developed. Is it still receiving regular updates, do they fix bugs, are things improving, etc or is it languishing in development hell. A lot of the other games on my watch list just aren't ready for prime time yet. Neither is Empyrion for that matter.

As a general rule I don't usually do Early Access titles. So many fail to deliver. I took a chance on Empyrion because the developers seemed active and friendly and I'd say I've more than gotten my money's worth. Is it the best game you're ever going to play? No. A lot of the things Empyrion does other games do better....but other games maybe don't do everything that Empyrion does. Despite Empyrion's shortcomings I play it largely because of the robust building system which is the best I've seen and because the developers continue to improve the game albeit slowly.

I could wish that Empyrion had all the bells and whistles that some other games have or that it was further along in development but it has a lot of potential. Eleon continues to plug away at the game putting out a steady stream of updates. They communicate, they take feedback, they fix bugs. They might not be a big team but they're doing the right things and putting in a lot of work and they seem to have their heads on straight.

If you like survival games and you're willing to widen your scope a little then 7 Days to Die if you like zombies. Conan Exiles if you're a fan and don't mind a little jank. The Long Dark looks interesting too. I've been tempted to play ARK but I don't want to be a dino farmer and taming dinos seems like a core part of the game. Pets end up being another mouth to feed. Yeah I know, Conan Exiles has pets too. I turned off all the care and feeding options. But yeah ARK looks like a huge, well developed game with lots of bells and whistles. Subnautica is excellent. Very immersive. Just a joy to play. I can't recommend that game enough.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019 at 10:09 PM
    ravien_ff and spacegal like this.
  20. spacegal

spacegal Lieutenant

I don't want to do the last mission in Subnautica :( after that the game will finish, the plot ends. I'm not ready to close with it I think I'll wait some more days :)

Damn that game is sooooo good and EGS is definitely following the road to success I wish to be one day in the same situation with EGS: liking it too much to finish it.

ravien_ff likes this.