Where do I start? General Game Design question.

Discussion in 'Scenarios' started by Hector G, May 19, 2019.

1. Hector G

Hector G Commander

I am not looking how to make a scenario but rather where to begin at all!

I have a game idea in my head I would love to get out of my head somehow but too old to learn everything I would need to do so.

That said I am really impressed with the things I have seen in some multiplayer servers like HWS and think maybe one day I can use EGS Scenario creation as a means to do so.

What would be best programming language or general skills to pick up? Obviously gonna be more of a hobby Empyrion will probably be in it's 10 year anniversary by the time I ever get done. Hopefully will be out of Early Access by then! ;) I'm kidding i love u Eleon :oops:

2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

You don't really need any programming knowledge to make scenarios though it helps to be familiar with using syntax, etc. it's mostly editing text files (yaml), or designing blueprints inside the game.

Some multiplayer servers use API mods to do things beyond what a scenario can do.

3. Hector G

Hector G Commander

Thanks for the info No idea what .yaml was but seem to be good amount of tutorial does look interesting!

4. Dragen3

Dragen3 Lieutenant

Start by writing down the idea and figuring out what all is required to make it work.

It would be helpful to consider and decide if your idea works better as a mod or add in to an existing game (such as a Scenerio for Empyrion) or if it pretty much has to be its own game.

If it works as an addition to another game. Take your idea and start talking to people that are already making stuff to add to whatever kind of game best fits your idea.

If it needs to be its own game. Your main options for seeing it happen are Raise Money to Hire the people with the skills required to make your game, or learn to make the game yourself.

Your not too old to start learning code yourself or how to work with Game Engines that do a lot of stuff for you.

The main 2 Codes Languages i have seen used for Making Games are C++ (C Plus Plus) and C# (C Sharp, not C Hashtag), although Javascript can also be used to make fairly simple games.

The two biggest game engines i have heard of are Unreal Editor (Pretty in Depth interface, can do a lot without any personal coding ability) or Unity (Also a pretty in depth interface but i am not sure it can do as much as Unreal without some knowledge of coding)

Their are free versions of both those engines available and some really good work at your own pace tutorials onlines if you want to learn on your own.

Its also possible to attend school for the subject, which is actually what i am doing now. I just finished an Assignment yesterday which was to make a game in Unity by following a specific Online Tutorial. I started classes at the end of March. The game was made by following the tutorial in about a week.