Why don't players like PvP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CHAR, May 12, 2019.

?

Why don't players like PvP?

1. I don't like losing resources

39.1%
  2. I'm afraid that other players will take over my ship and copy the blueprint.

2.2%
  3. Bad game optimization

37.0%
  4. I like the calm game without a fight

43.5%
  5. There are no good pvp servers

2.2%
  6. I don't have pvp ships

15.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Monkworks

Monkworks Lieutenant

yeah your right it was hash an why this was included.
    "Sure make it so there is always an option to want to participate."
    Its really from the frustration this topic creates now for years and years.
    games like altima, EQ1 is really were this all started. I still carry the pain and frustration.
    Its like i need to poke the anti pvpers who tend to control the outcome more then the pvpers.
    pvp can bring the toxicity level up in any game. Rust anyone?

I just dont feel this is a pvp game. The player base would be exploited by the shortcomings of the game design. I must reiterate i really love this game . with the recent boom in pvp games like i will not say it but ends in a "nite" would influence all game out there to get a piece of that action. I will go out on a limb and say the "type" of player who play this game, would likely not play "nite"

I'm I wrong?

Sephrajin likes this.
  2. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

I don't think "Maturity" is the quality you're citing here. It sounds more like Risk Tolerance to me, and each person's tolerance is going to depend on a variety of factors such as what they consider to be valuable and what they find to be fulfilling. People can be mature and make a conscious decision that they don't want to gamble with an asset -- even intangible assets like collections of virtual blocks.

Sephrajin, Siege Inc. and SGP Corp like this.
  3. Arrclyde

Arrclyde Rear Admiral

Well PvP works fine in games like Fortnite BR mode or any other game that offers a quick drop in drop out way of playing. Games that take time to build up something which you could lose quickly.... not so much. One of the reasons WoW had way more players than Ultima and EQ together.
    I don't play rust. But for ARK it is more than obvious. Most servers are PvE, and PvP is mostly played on special unofficial servers that have rules like war time, peace time. Pvp on offical servers is actually dead.

4. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Captain

PvP works here, but just like any game you’re going to have those who love it, those who hate it, and a pretty broad spectrum in between - just as long as we’re all mindful of each other, peaceful PvE players and blood-thirsty PvP players alike, there isn’t a problem. But PvPers goading PvE players into combat or PvEers pleading for Swords to Plowshares isn’t necessary on either side.

ravien_ff likes this.
  5. Fenra369

Fenra369 Commander

Honestly I don't like having to learn an entirely new (and nonsensical) building philosophy for PvP. If it made sense that's one thing, but what I've read so far from people nice enough to explain made me understand that PvP can't work really well yet, given technical limitations.

Also peoples obsession over PvP secrets kinda makes it a unwelcoming scene for that would want to. I really don't think losing your special sauce for a PvP build means shit when it'll be obsolete by next major patch.

ravien_ff and Inappropriate like this.
  6. Damocles

Damocles Captain

Empyrion is a typical example of asymmetrical multiplayer.
    Players have vastly different starting positions (due to the time they join, the time they had to gather resources and the way teams can form).

Thats in big contrast to symmetric games (shooters like Overwatch, MoBas like LoL) where all players have basically the same options and chances at the beginning of the match, and opposing teams are filled in equal numbers.

Asymmetric games are inherently unfair, and thats a big reason a lot of people dont like this scenario.

zztong, Sephrajin, ravien_ff and 2 others like this.
  7. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

As EGS is not fixed on one Continent of the World you will get, automatically, a "asymmetrical" Multiplayer behavior.
    There are of course Servers that call for "Germany Only" or "Mid West Only" to minimize the time delay for Player and to have them all at once in one spot at the same time. Such restriction may be logical to increase MP Gameplay to its optimization but its not very much liked because of the restrictions..even if logical.
    But where is the Logic in MP, i.e., Human vs. Human, AT ALL?;)
    Other games are MP in their making but offers them to join "the good Side" or "the bad Side". So, as stated before, make EGS a MP-Game with different Races to join and let Human fight TOGETHER against an oppressive Foe for their utter survival as a Species.
    my 2ct's

Sephrajin likes this.
  8. SylenThunder

SylenThunder Commander

Yeah, because designing a game for only 3-5% of the playerbase isn't going to net you a lot of sales.

PvP is a minority for a reason. Most (not all) PvP'ers in the current cultural climate are simply assholes out to gank people for e-peen and numbers. It's not a healthy environment.

I personally enjoy a good PvP battle. In Empyrion that's really hard though. (And the cube ships are just dumb.) The game mechanics atm just don't allow for decent flying battles. Given that it's a voxel game, they may never do so.

9. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Nothing in that poll for me to choose.

Why I don't like PvP anymore (used too back in the 90s)... is the internet is just filled with trolls/cheaters/ and poor-sportsmanship players in general. So my taste for PvP has waned over the decades. Now, if I do any sort of PvP, its on a private server where I actually know each and every player personally in the battlefield. Otherwise, no point, its lame.

ravien_ff, Arrclyde and Germanicus like this.
  10. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

LOL Sorry not really replying it was just funny. I had to see this post. On my screen it was listed as
    Latest: Why don't players like ...
    Frigidman, 8 minutes ago

So I just had to see why people didn't like Frigidman :eek::D

11. Fenra369

Fenra369 Commander

I think the also killed PvP building by implementing a feature no one asked for (partial block hp). This didn't make any sense from a ship hp perspective, and weakened every PvP ship that wasn't made out of strictly cubes. The meta now is cubes because anything less than cubes is just gimping your hp of your ship.

12. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Awesome! Did you get a screenshot??? :D

ravien_ff likes this.
  13. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

:( sadly no.

14. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

But I did get this one! Oh NO! :eek: Not me! :(
    Image1.jpg

ravien_ff, Maverick241 and Frigidman like this.
  15. May Rears

May Rears Lieutenant

There isn't a voting option for why I do not like free for all PvP in games like Empyrion: Other players.

16. instantrice

instantrice Ensign

I've always found PVP in building games to be incredibly boring. Hours of work for moments of gameplay, usually not yielding enough spoils to be worth the effort. Alternatively you spend 20 minutes with giant ironclads with so many redundant systems it's equivalent to rubbing two cheese graters together until one of them wins. An equally gratifying PVP experience can be had by telling the other player to pick heads or tails and going to justflipacoin.com.

Then there's the whole griefer/ganker mindset that I don't want to deal with on PVP servers.

ravien_ff likes this.
  17. TmikeS3

TmikeS3 Commander

I tend to be a Role player. And since all players are humans. It really does not make since for humans to fight humans, maybe if we could play Zarix, or play human Turn coats allied with The Zarix. I mean I am sure there are some that would just go rouge a be pirates, But game play does not really lend it self well to being a pirate. Unless your coning to assume the UCH fragmented into waring states. which makes little since given the Zarix Empire, Any one think we will some day See the UCH show as a faction, that maybe we can join once completing the solo missions?

18. Sleepy

Sleepy Ensign

This is a Complicated Question.. As a Builder... A Survival player... And a PVP Player (When Necessary) :) I get it!

But the Problem with PVP is that it is used to troll or farm the weak in probably half the cases! With no Repercussions, the strong players or groups become Bullies on the smaller servers and take away the fun (Remember it is a GAME) aspect for the weaker players! EVE online anyone?
    Who wants to grind away.. build an awesome base and beautiful ships just to have them destroyed by Bullies all the time? Your answer to this may be.. "They should become better players!" My answer to that is WHY? It's a Game.. Not a Competition! Their is no lack of Dedicated PVP games in the world! But their IS a Reason why Minecraft is probably one of the most successful games EVER!

Now lets look at a game that I believe has incorporated successful PVP in a similar genre, and what it would take to do this in Empyrion.

Elite Dangerous although limited (No Building, Crappy Planets) has incorporated a level of success to the PVP aspect, by placing Bounties on the heads of players who abuse PVP.. the more you attack the Innocent..The larger the Bounty.. Their comes a Point when the hunter becomes the hunted! Just ask Somali Pirates in today's world how that works!

To have successful PVP in an open world aspect of gaming, their need's to be repercussions to your actions! In realistic terms most HARD CORE PVP'rs don't play Empyrion.. They Play WOW, War Thunder, ARMA III...... and the list just go's on and on!

But in the same breath I do believe PVP should be an Open Option! As the Non PVP player risks losing everything... So should the PVP Player!
    To Implement this in Empyrion it is my belief ??? (for what that is worth?) That their are two options!

1) Much larger Verse's.... Where a Bounty system would draw from a large mass of players who would actively hunt down and try to combat players who drew a large Bounty (Basically Bullies)! I dislike the "TIME CURE"S" Aspect where just laying low erases your wanted status! You should be able to attack and Loot a Wanted Player without any repercussions! Since their goal is to attack and loot players without repercussions.

2) A new race of Bounty Hunters... Given the small amount of players per server in Empyrion a race of Dedicated NPC's who actively hunted the wanted players would provide a layer of defense for the innocent and add a deeper dimension of game play.. Is the risk of a wanted status worth the reward of the action? Once again though..The limited size of the verse would be Problematic?

You will know you have succeeded when the BEST players say.... "Being an Outlaw is the the hardest part of the game!" Because it should be!

But their are other options for server owners.. One I like is the Tournament! Class vs Class PVP tournaments with ample rewards for the winners! Since server Owners can spawn in at will the prizes...Why Not? Give the players a chance to learn and test their creations in an environment that is friendly competition??? We would all learn how to fly, fight, and Build better from Friendly competition! Yes it would take some work... But if you really want PVP in Empyrion.. Why not try it?

I'm sure their are more options out their... Never said I was that Bright... But if we put our minds together and share our ideas.. and consider the fairness to both the PVP and PVE players... The answer is out their... We just have to seek it!

Peace!
    Sleepy

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Sephrajin and ManiacFiwa like this.
  19. TmikeS3

TmikeS3 Commander

The bounty hunters could be like independent Mercs. Though it could be taken up by the yet unseen UHC, or both. one reason you build a navy after all is to protect your shipping and friendly and allied shipping to you. Pirates are the natural enemy of any navy

Arrclyde likes this.
  20. Barra74

Barra74 Lieutenant

I’ve played some PvP but unfortunately the immersion just isn’t there because PvP ships look like rubbish (generally). When I play Empyrion, I like to see plausible sort of sci-fi designs, not lumps of combat steel with a gazillion guns, thrusters and RCS.
    I’ve designed some PvP ships that at least look bruttishly ugly and purposeful but then immerssion is broken when you come up against someone else who is flying a combat steel blob. I’ve given up on PvP because it just doesn’t feel like you are playing anything that is remotely realistic.
    If you look at the beautiful lines of today’s fighter aircraft in real life, that is the sort of aesthetics I like to see when I’m playing Empyrion. I stress this is just my opinion and I spend most of my Empyrion time in creative these days, so maybe I shouldn’t be contributing to this discussion.

Arrclyde likes this.