Filed / Tracking Windowed Fullscreen mode auto-minimizes when changing focus [7194]

Discussion in 'Tracking / Filed' started by drysdan, Dec 17, 2019.

1. drysdan

drysdan Ensign

Mode: Any
    Mode: Any

SERVER NAME: NA
    SEED-ID: Any

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS:

Reproducibility: Always (on my PC at least)
    Severity: Minor

Type: Global

Summary: Game auto-minimizes when focus window changes.

Description: As of the A11.5 update, when the game is set to Windowed Fullscreen mode, any time I Alt-Tab or otherwise change window focus, the game auto-minimizes to the taskbar. This is not the expected behavior for Windowed Fullscreen mode, nor is it the behavior prior to A11.5

Steps to Reproduce: Set game to Windowed Fullscreen mode. Alt-Tab or Windows key to change focus to another window.

2. drysdan

drysdan Ensign

Not sure it matters, but to update the report, this is still occurring throughout all of the 11.5.x patches, up to the most recent 11.5.3

Seems that it's now impossible to use Windowed Fullscreen to keep the game visible while Alt-Tabbing out to another window.

3. Curben Justic

Curben Justic Ensign

11.5.8 still current

4. Maeka

Maeka Ensign

Yeah Fullscreen Window and Exclusive Window does it for me. I have to play in Window mode for the game to not minimize. I'm on 11.5.8.

5. Ambaire

Ambaire Captain

Build: v1.0 3047
    Mode: N/A

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Minor

Type: Display

Summary: When in fullscreen window mode, alt-tabbing minimizes the game to the taskbar.

Description: In most other games with fullscreen window mode, alt-tabbing will leave the game visible, just as if it were in regular windowed mode. In Empyrion, alt-tabbing minimizes the game instead as if it were regular fullscreen.

Steps to Reproduce: Launch Empyrion. Set the Screen Mode to Fullscreen Window. Alt-tab to Explorer or a web browser or etc. Notice how the game instantly minimizes to taskbar.

6. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Alt+Enter is your friend. Not alt+tab.

7. Coeptis87

Coeptis87 Ensign

Ya but we shouldn't have to Alt+Enter, thats the standard for switching between Windowed and Full Screen. We have borderless for us with dual monitors who are constantly switching back and forth doing stuff lol

8. Speculiar

Speculiar Ensign

I use a software from Steam called "Borderless Gaming". It attempts to remove the border from any windowed game that you tell it to try to work on. It's worked for me on 99% of the games I've played. It works, yes. Should we need a 3rd party software to prevent the auto-minimize thing, no.

9. Kingdark

Kingdark Ensign

Just wanted to say that this is still a thing. Also, using alt + enter does not seem to work for me. I mean, it didn't auto minimize but when I clicked on anything, it automatically minmized itself and then I couldn't do the same trick anymore.

edit: I ended up using the third party software to 'force' it to maximize.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    SylenThunder likes this.
  10. Vollinger

Vollinger Lieutenant

Build: 1.7.7 3718
    Mode:-
    Mode:-

SERVER NAME:-
    SEED-ID:-

If applicable:-
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS:-

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Medium

Type: Game window bug

Summary: Fullscreen windowed game start in background still receives user input.

Description: Requirement: Set Screen Mode to "fullscreen window". When you start the game, and alt-tab to something else (e.g. a Browser), once the main menu is loaded in the game, the input from the user is received by the game, even if its still in the background.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Set Screen Mode to "Fullscreen Window"
    2) Start Game, immediately alt-tab to e.g. a browser
    3) Wait a few seconds till the game is started in the background
    4) move your mouse in the browser around the area where the main menu items are. You'll hear the sound the menu items make when they get focus. click around do whatever you want
    5) Alt-Tab back to the game and see what mess you created.

With this bug in unintentionally changed my avatar, loaded a old savegame, started the tutorial several times, etc. Hopefully, nobody deletes their savegames with this :p

Disclaimer: I did not test the other screen modes, the bug may apply to other modes aswell.
    Disclaimer2: This bug has been present at least since ~v1.4

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:

Myrmidon likes this.
  11. Vollinger

Vollinger Lieutenant

If this has been merged due to the technical reason being similar i'm fine. Otherwise, my report is NOT about the game minimizing, it is about the game receiving input of OTHER windows after startup in the background.