Would this be practical?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trini_Gamer, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Trini_Gamer

Trini_Gamer Lieutenant

I am working on a CV that is over 200 blocks in length, reasonable height and enough width so it doesn't look bulky but still big. The finished plan is to have large hangars to fit bigger SV's, a dock thing on the bottom for HV's to explore the ground, massively protected core and as much weapons as limited in Survival with a Creative/un-restricted alternative set of weapons as well.

Over 3o XL Thrusters on the bottom to take off and land on planets without getting stuck in-atmosphere, and will have XL Reverse Thrusters, XL Side Thrusters and XL Thrusters to Propell it. Made completely out of Combat Steel Blocks, probably won't bother painting due to its sheer size.

Will have over 20 T3 Fuel Tanks, a T2 Generator and as many RCS needed for it to turn.

The problem is, the framework I've done alone takes almost 2 days to do the BP, and almost half a million Iron. (Yes, the time can most definitely be reduced to a few hours if you use combat steel in the BP, which is the only way this could possibly be practical on Survival).

My question is - Will it be practical for people? To me it seems extremely difficult to make even for the biggest of grinders, so may I have your opinion on it?

If you want to know what it is, I'm not releasing too much information in case someone tries to compete with the design or something, but it's loosely based on a cross of a Star Wars and Killzone ship.

So what's your opinion? Would you think you'd be able to use this ship in Survival or is it just more of a creative-ship design or for servers/singleplayer players who open the itemmenu? It would be appreciated. I'm not going to stop working on it at this point as it has taken me almost 2 days to get where I am at with it now, but opinions on its practicality etc would be appreciated.

EDIT: The purpose of the ship is more of a 'Capital' ship, and it's actually big enough to fit some of the smallest CV's inside, and bigger SV's. Meant for high-resource servers where some playfields are wiped or meteorites are enabled in high frequency.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  2. dtmullican

dtmullican Commander

My guess is that most people won't bother because it's a PITA to keep shoving fuel in something really large.

I started a ship a while back that I wanted to be a mobile base for a few friends and myself...well, it grew a bit bigger than I wanted and ended up being a bit of a fuel hog....but I finished it anyway and put it on the workshop. Not a single person has subscribed.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=835061505

I'm guessing the reason is that it is a bit of a fuel hog.

3. medicineman

medicineman Captain

I've only built a couple of designs that came with the game. Never built anything from the player library at all. I really like to make my own designs.

Applejack likes this.
  4. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

Short answer: "No."

-XL engines are not "practical" by any stretch of the imagination. They chug fuel like a frat-boy at a keg party, even in space. For planetary use, it'd be even worse. 30 of them will easily empty a few T3 tanks just in the minutes it'll take you to set down or lift off. And for the number of XL's you're suggesting, 20x T3 tanks seems woefully inadequate.
    -Corollary to the above, as dtmullican pointed out, people will need to keep an entire planet's worth of promethium on hand just to keep the tanks full. Not worth it.
    -The resource requirements put it solidly beyond consideration for most Survival players. The only reason to build something that massive is when you've basically run out of things to do with your enormous resource stockpile - for any practical use, people will build their own or find a more "affordable" BP to fill the role.
    -My personal opinion, but one I think a lot of players will echo if you ask: Bare combat steel looks shoddy and dull. There are plenty of massive, gray hulls rusting on the workshop. Is painting a pain in the tail right now? Absolutely. Texturing and coloring something huge would take hours, if not days - however, I can say with relative certainty that if you're not willing to put the time and effort into it, most will give it a look, shrug, and move on.

Mind you, that's not to say you should stop working on it! By all means, finish the thing. Just keep in mind that something on that scale is more of a showpiece than a practical survival vessel. Also, I can promise you the turret limits are going to feel way too limited to arm it properly.

5. talamioros

talamioros Lieutenant

I'm playing in SP Survival. Mine is slightly over 100 in length and shaped like a Star Destroyer with a slit down the middle that leads to the central hangar area (conceptualisation got a little out of hand). It's still half completed (Haven't roofed it over, added the slanted surfaces or completed the bridge) I've got 4 XL thrusters in either direction and I find that it is already more than sufficient to lift and steer (on Akua at least). Even for a CV as big as you're doing, 30 solely on the bottom seems a tad overkill. I use my CV only for interstellar travel (jump, cruise at impulse speed within a couple km of the planet, then stop), and each trip I make is already sufficient to drain a third or more of one T3 fuel tank (I have 4 but only keep 2 filled up at any time). So if you're gonna build something so huge, make sure you're building for the passion of building, rather than the utility. And most DEFINITELY not for planetside operations.

6. Trini_Gamer

Trini_Gamer Lieutenant

Decided to paint the sides and top, but probably not the bottom. The rest of it should not be too long if I encourage my brother to help me paint it.