Wrong/stale information in some places

Discussion in 'Backlog' started by tahaan, Jan 12, 2022.

1. tahaan

tahaan Lieutenant

Build: v1.7.1.1 3639
    Mode: Survival
    Mode: Any

SERVER NAME: Any / N.a
    SEED-ID: not available.

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: I currently see this in an R.E game but certain the same thing happens in Vanilla.

Reproducibility: Consistent
    Severity: Normal.

Type: QoL bug. Not sure what I'm supposed to use for type.

Summary: In various situations when looking at information, it shows old / stale / wrong information.

Description: Two places where I notice it most often:
    - When switching the vehicle from a weapon to a scanner, it shows the ammo from the last used weapon. This is just a niggle, but I'd expect it to show the scanner's charge, not a misleading "ammo" amount.
    - Much more serious: On the System Map, if you are in another system, you cannot rely on the information shown about planets and sectors at all.
    - Not so often: Occasionally when opening a container the game briefly shows the content of the last opened container. Most of the time the screen contents is updated faster than one can see it. Aparently the object in memory gets re-used and not cleared until you open a new container. This one is very hard to reproduce.

Example and steps to reproduce:
    1. Join a game where there are many "discovered" / previously visited stars. Fly into space with your favourite warp capable CV, loaded up with Fuel and Pentaxid.
    2. Open the Galaxy Map
    3. Select a system other than the one you are on at present. (See notes #2)
    4. Select the System Map
    5. Turn on the INFO side Panel.
    6. Select a planet in the system.
    7. On the Info panel, select the "Sector Info" and chek the data
    8. Select the Planet Info and check the data
    9. Go back to the Galaxy Map, and set the Lock Target
    10. Warp to that system.
    11. Check the same info on the Map, note the differences.

I will upload some screenshots showing the difference in data before and after warping to the sun later today.

Notes:
    #1 I expect the info to either tell me "Data Not Available" in some or other way, or else show the correct data, but never to show the wrong data as if it is correct.
    #2 Sometimes a star shows no planets or information when you go to the System map. There is no indication as to why. I am guessing it may be a system that has not been visited by any players yet. The system map gets populated the moment you warp to the sun, so an indiction about this on the screen is needed.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  2. tahaan

tahaan Lieutenant

Edit: Corrected build nr.