Filed / Tracking Certain Actions can cause the mouse button actions to stick [7761]

Discussion in 'Tracking / Filed' started by Silence, Nov 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Silence

Silence Ensign

Build: 1.2.3 3136
    Mode: Singleplayer

SEED-ID:n/a

Reproducibility: 100%
    Severity: Minor

Type: Controls

Summary: Certain Actions can cause the mouse button actions to stick

Description: While in game, if certain actions are performed while a mouse button is held down, the game will either not register the release at all, or continue the associated animation without the effect

Steps to Reproduce:
    1- Launch the game and go in any playfield, in any mode.
    2- Equip a weapon
    3- Hold LMB to fire.
    4- While not having released LMB, Press ESC
    4a- While not having released LMB, Press Alt+Tab or any key which will return to windows
    4b- While not having released LMB, bring up the steam overlay
    5- Release the mouse button and return the main game interface
    6- Notice that, for steps 4 and 4a, the animation and sound effects continue, but without ammo loss or effective fire. Notice that for 4b, the whole effect continues.

2. Silence

Silence Ensign

I didn't take the time to list all actions that could cause the mouse buttons to stick, will, on request, if the fix is specific to every individual action.

3. Garaman

Garaman Captain

So...I mean, fix it if required, but I use this "trick" all the time to make cool screenshots of my mining ships. Every fix breaks someone's workflow. :D

Silence and Germanicus like this.
  4. Silence

Silence Ensign

the way i see it, it can also lead to punching holes into ships with the retrieve tool. may i be so bold as to suggest a sytem like in SE where you can doubleclick to turn tools on? i mean, that being said, not that my assessment of severity really matters here, but i didnt exactly put it at critical :p

5. Garaman

Garaman Captain

Heh, no, your assessment was correct. Especially knowing that it can lock a weapon into active mode, instead of just having the visual effect present.

Silence likes this.