CV CV Weapons can't fire on a planet

Discussion in 'Feature Discussion' started by Zebron, Mar 9, 2024.

1. Zebron

Zebron Lieutenant

It is kinda pointless specializing in CV weaponry if they cannot fire on a planet. My suggestion is they can fire on a planet but at a reduced effectiveness. Having Dark Faction turrets and CV weaponry only work in space is a waste of research. Since there is no Dark Pillars in Space. There isn't even Dark Faction specific ships in space even.

How about they get a damage and range reduction cost when trying to use on a planet instead of just saying it can't be fired. That way the CV's weapons can still work but at a reduce effectiveness instead of being paper weights that do nothing. I hope you can make CV weapons function on planets soon.

Since it take thousands of research points to unlock the Dark Faction turrets. It would be nice if they can function on a planet. Being space bound only is a waste of research points. I understand you don't want CV's to replace SV's in combat roles on a planet. Though it would still be nice if the CV turrets could still function but at a reduced capacity.

Suggestion for suggestion box in the Dark Faction.
    Thanks.
    Zebron

Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
  2. The Big Brzezinski

The Big Brzezinski Captain

I've just been blasting pillars with a mundane combat HV. Hover engines are efficient enough that you can design an HV capable of just overpowering the dark field on most planets. Only downside is that the symelite plasma turrets are about useless since they can't target the pillar directly. Fortunately, all the standard weapons still work fine. Lasers for the beasties, railguns for the pillar, artillery for the lulz.

You could probably make a projectile turret CV for clearing dark pillars, but I doubt it would be as effective or efficient. Neutralizers take a lot of power to operate and a lot of symelite to develop. It's much harder to make a CV combat ready than it is simply flyable in adverse conditions.

3. Zebron

Zebron Lieutenant

Since there is no Nullifiers it have to make a special for SV/HV. Since normal ones travel like a turtle like 4-8 m/s.

I wasn't really talking about dark pillar take overs when implying to CV weapons. It could be any enemy. CV weapons are space locked which makes them useless. With my suggestion they can be more then just looks. I mean how are you going to stop a artillery turret from firing? They are a ballistic weapon. That is like saying your 9 mm pistol can't fire underwater cause it is underwater. It makes no sense. It is taking a explosive powder or a accelerant to propel a projectile at high speeds. How is a specific environment going to stop this action? Only way it would is if the shell itself became compromised rendering the explosive or accelerant inert.

But not talking about normal turrets here. I'm talking about DF turrets. Even the cheapest one is space locked. Which renders them useless. As there is no DF specific enemies in Space the research is wasted. I currently see no need logically to spent research on CV turrets as there is no DF space enemies. But logically they should function on a planet if there must be a balance consequence then have them at reduce damaged and range.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
  4. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

Projectile turrets can fire on planets, everything else not, you must consider that these weapons are *way* more powerful than their SV or HV counterparts. I once have modded the game to enable all CV weapons but I have reverted it: Too easy for me.

5. The Big Brzezinski

The Big Brzezinski Captain

Well there's no doubt that it's a nakedly inelegant gameplay kludge. There's really no in-character explanation why the exact same sorts of turrets will work fine when mounted to a building, but not a large spaceship. Certainly it would be much better to have a more nuanced mechanic that tosses players a conundrum to riddle over regarding how they'll use combat CVs on planets, but no such conundrum exists. You're just not allowed to use those big turrets planetside. Have fun making dozens of racks of projectile turrets to attack POIs with instead, I guess. That or kill everything with HV artillery, zero risk, and a lot more time sunk.

Frankly, most of the Dark Faction DLC blocks are useless in practice. They don't have utility outside of the RotDF scenario. You have to gather symelite by hand from dead creatures and eggs, so your supply of it is always very limited. Most of the utility of what symelite devices you do manage to put together is in getting around the dark field, which (again) is easily dealt with using a combat HV using normal technology. H/SV lasers eviscerate symelite creatures. Railguns handily cut down dark pillars. The swords are garbage. There's no real reward for your efforts clearing out the dark faction besides being able to interact with the planet normally again.

I haven't played much of RotDF, myself. Tossing me into a godawfully overgreeble mess of a ship that I can't alter with no support vessels, no tech levels, no resources, this was no a good way to make a positive impression with me. I can only assume there's things in that scenario you need to fight in space using these symelite CV turrets. I can't imagine what they are, considering dark pillars show up on planets, not in space, and thus fighting angry dark faction OPVs seems pointless. So I'm really not sure there's an answer here for you to find that's worth the trouble of working it out. I wish I had something happier to report.