Help needed eWPDA - How to Display a Players Name like in "Hello World"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by marc.johanson.ca, Jun 20, 2024.

1. marc.johanson.ca

marc.johanson.ca Ensign

Hello and i have a simple Question for using the PDA / eWPDA to build own Missions in own Scenarios in Empyrion ...

I would like to know how it is possible, for example, for "IDA" to use my own name in the welcome text. In short, that IDA addresses me in the game with my own player name and not just with "Captain" or "Master".

Surely there should be so-called "system-internal placeholders" for this, via which the players are then directly assigned and which you can then certainly use, after all, the game also knows the respective player names as you can see in multiplayer.

So I would be happy if someone could help me here ^-^

... PS. I have the same "problem" with all the object names used in the game, which you need for example in the PDA for the tasks and rewards.

The lists and files from all the scenarios that I know so far are only of limited help here, as are the "debug tools" and the commands for the command line / GM / DM / IM / DI ... etc.

Unfortunately, I have not yet found a guide or a separate section where exactly these mechanics are illuminated and explained ... most of what I have "experienced" here so far has been about "try and error" or "learning by doing" ...

... or I'm just too stupid to search ^-^

2. Taelyn

Taelyn Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    • Administrator
    In the PDA you can use {PlayerName}

3. marc.johanson.ca

marc.johanson.ca Ensign

Only {PlayerName} does not work ... it still Displays only the Text and not the real Players Name ... like in the screen-picture in the added zip-file

Attached Files:

4. Taelyn

• Developer
    • Administrator
    Its used in the Vanilla PDA, it might only be working there, unless it broke
    If this doesnt work for you then there is nothing.
    DialogueSystem can do it aswell

5. marc.johanson.ca

marc.johanson.ca Ensign

It is possible that these {PlayerName} only works in singleplayer and not in multiplayer ?

In first i was thinking that there must be and additional file / yaml who indicates the "PlayerName" but i cant found such like an "PDA prestart" which tells the game the Name used for these {FieldType} e.g.

so

looking forward for an solution or still all new players ar only the "Meister" XD

6. Taelyn

• Developer
    • Administrator
    I only looked in the Default PDA its in the PDA.csv, didnt check SP or MP
    Feel free to try it out in SP or MP

The Vanilla PDA is only used in Single Player

7. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I tried SP using {PlayerName} in the blue box info popup and it did not work. Just showed {PlayerName}.

8. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I can confirm it does not work in vanilla either, at least in the one location I tested.

To reproduce, start a survival game, use console command: pda brief 797 and then click to proceed.
    Open the PDA, go to the Journey Book, and you'll find where it tries to use the {PlayerName} and instead it just shows a generic EGS picture in its place every time the {PlayerName} is referenced.
    If {PlayerName} is used in a popup notice, it will just show as {PlayerName}.
    If shown in the PDA log, it will show as {PlayerName}.

9. Taelyn

• Developer
    • Administrator
    We checked the code and there is no support added for a {PlayerName} Tag, so why this is added to the Vanilla PDA, no idea

If you want something like this you can write a suggestion

ravien_ff likes this.
  10. marc.johanson.ca

marc.johanson.ca Ensign

^-^

... so, then put it to the wish list for new updates of the game - or as a new feature for the PDAs guided Missions ...

I think it would be nice if IDA could then address me by my player name like "MASTER MARC" ^-^