Just bad game design

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by OlFart, Aug 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. OlFart

OlFart Ensign

I just spent three hours trying to understand why my motion sensor would not open the gate on my base when I approached in the HV. It reacted perfectly to my drone, and to my player, but refused to acknowledge my HVs presence.

I finally figured it out. I was driving the little HV called "Damaged Hoverbike" you find near your crash location on all new games, including the tutorial. Add a fuel tank and a generator and boom - free starter HV. However, the core on the bike isn't yours, and that's why the damned motion sensor wouldn't work.

Now, I guess not everyone will end up spending three hours on this, but seeing as how it's quite likely a new player will be driving the damaged hoverbike when they first start experimenting with sensors, it's bound to happen to many new players and this is a bit of a problem. It's not a bug as such, but it's really bad game design to put new players in a vehicle like that.

Simple fix: rip the core out of the bike. Instead of having the player build a generator and a fuel tank in the tutorial, have them build a core and a generator. Done. This will teach the player what a core is, how you know the vehicle doesn't have one, and then how to use the P menu to find out what else is wrong with the vehicle, as well as avoid the problem I ran into.

ravien_ff and cmguardia like this.
  2. Pear78

Pear78 Captain

good suggestion, easy fix. and will learn new players about factions early on.

ravien_ff likes this.