Please improve the Galaxy Map

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by me777, Jun 22, 2021.

1. me777

me777 Commander

Just now as I started to go further than the next star have I noted how bad the Galaxy map is:
    -It is almost impossible to plan a multi jump route. You can only do "best effort" going in the rough direction you want to go.
    -It is too easy to loose sight of the start system, forcing one to start over.

I strongly feel this is one of the biggest weakness Empyrion has.
    Please consider making the galaxy map a priority.
    Games like Elite:Dangerous are an example of how it should be done.

The minimum that should be implemented is:
    -always show start sector and make a line to system under cursor, green if in range, red if not.
    -always show waypoints (and make it is visible)

after that come the "quality of life" features:
    -filter for star class, owner, visited...
    -route planer

and if it is too much work, I'm sure some modder would make a tool if the galaxy map data was accessible.

SacredGlade, Kishmond, Miznit and 2 others like this.
  2. Kishmond

Kishmond Ensign

I also find it very frustrating that you can't look up stats for a body without being on that body. For example, you can't know if something is a potentially-unescapable high gravity world without going there and getting trapped.

3. me777

me777 Commander

actually info about gravity is there, in the system map. you have to turn on details checkbox (left) and select the planet icon (right) and click on the planet.
    this also could be improved, especially having the info window open by default and change to the planet info when hovering over the planet...

still the galaxy map is a needle-in-heystack affair, i had 2 of the star types i searched for within jump range and only noticed them like 5 searches for that star type later...