Restore original camera behaviour in 3rd person flying

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by apocholypse, Dec 23, 2021.

1. apocholypse

apocholypse Ensign

Prior to the update 1.7.1 B3638, you could pilot your ship in third person and you'd see your vessel dart in the direction that you were pointing while the camera took a moment to settle. This is a nice touch and also how the majority of modern games with vehicle flight operate. It makes the experience feel much more like you are flying around and allows you to appreciate the vessel you've created from dynamically changing angles. However, in the latest update, the camera is now completely fixed chasing your ship so you always have the exact same view. It makes the game feel much more 2 dimensional, and flying now feels rather flat. The same thing was done in X3 Reunion and it just meant the majority of players chose not to use the 3rd person view because it was so underwhelming. I can see the rational for fixing it with a human character which is much smaller than a ship (although again, shooting games that have the third person view still do not do this anymore). However it simply doesn't add anything for vehicle flight, particularly in a space sim where there is no need to dodge obstacles. I highly recommend changing this back, or adding a configuration option so the player can choose which to use. I am quite confident the original behaviour would be far more popular.

I would also like to ask where this is configured, is it in a single file that I could edit myself to return to the original behaviour?

Apart from this, a lot of good work has been done, appreciate the continued investment in this game.

2. Spoon

Spoon Captain

3. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Based on what? Assumptions? Can you present us with numbers supporting this?

This would be more preferable but might complicate things code wise for the player controller.

4. Taelyn

Taelyn Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    • Administrator
    It will be reverted. We try to push it to public today if it all goes fine

Kassonnade and Runeshadow like this.
  5. etmoonshade

etmoonshade Ensign

For what it's worth, I didn't even notice the difference until I saw people complaining about it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kassonnade likes this.
  6. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

The ALT+ camera move with mouse or cursor keys was still working as usual though.

7. apocholypse

apocholypse Ensign

Thanks Taelyn, that's great news! Much appreciated.