Space Drone Spawning

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Leftcoast, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Leftcoast

Leftcoast Lieutenant

Suggestion to update how space drones spawn. I noticed playing the new patch ( I think on the last one too, but I don't remember for certain) that space drones will spawn near the player.

Situation:

I was asteroid mining after carefully scanning and making sure there were no enemy CVs, drones, or even POIs within a short distance. I scanned and checked the map, then started mining and withing about 30 seconds to 1 min (the time it took to mine about 60 cobalt ore with hand mining tool) a couple space drones ninja spawned on me and I had jump in my SV and escape.

Proposal:

Do not allow space drones to spawn in that close to players. It is fairly challenging for early game play to get materials to progress to better vehicles. I understand some aspects may not be challenging enough, however, having space drones spawn so close is aggravating and not a good way to increase the challenge.

OggieOgham likes this.
  2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

They don't spawn on the player. They will patrol and respond to threats. Space drones move at 100m/s and don't show up on the detector at long range so its entirely possible a space drone can jump you after a minute. A drone could travel 6km in one minute and render range is only 3km.

3. Leftcoast

Leftcoast Lieutenant

Well crap, they must have been just out of my sensor range then. It just felt like they spawned in.

Thanks, I'll have to just update my tactics then.

Edit:

After thinking about that for a few seconds, it makes me want to have a countermeasure to them. Maybe extra sensors/radar. Of course the real hard part is early game when you may not have the resources but it would be a fun trade off to have to decide on.

4. OggieOgham

OggieOgham Ensign

I have had the same experience with drones.

How do we turn on that Clayton alert sound used in base attacks, so my ship warns me when drones are approaching?