[TOOL] Empyrion Playfield Designer v2.43.0 EXP (Empyrion V1.11.x compatible)

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by jmcburn, May 5, 2018.

1. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Thank you both. I found myself very fond of size 5 planets and I just want to create scenarios with higher probability of that size and the other sizes with lower. I think I will stick with the playfield_dynamic.yaml alteration of the default SizeProbs values, for each planet type. Does this variable get default values in your tool?

jmcburn likes this.
  2. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

What do you mean by default values?

you need to set the probabilities for each planet like:

this means only class 5 planets will be created (100%)
    upload_2018-11-23_18-15-47.png

this means 50% chance of class 3 or class 5 (50% each)
    upload_2018-11-23_18-16-32.png

this means equal probability for all sizes (25% each)
    upload_2018-11-23_18-18-2.png

You just need to remember: All probabilities in the list summed up must always equal 1 (=100%).
    And that there's no class 1 planet size

Hope this helps

/jmc

3. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Yes it does, very. I know the 100% is = 1. When I wrote about default values I had in mind the values in the default planet's playfield_dynamic.yaml of EGS. At least editing those by hand, I know so far.

4. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

UPDATE (v1.59.2)
    Alpha 9.0.0 ready

CHANGES:

• added Factions to RandomPOIs & FixedPOIs
    • added LevelMod to RandomPOIs & FixedPOIs
    • added OnlySpawnIfPOIIsAlien to SpawnZones
    • added AllowInWater to CreatureSpawing/Entities
    • added IsOrbitPlayfield to SpacePlayfields/General
    • added Escape POD Starting Pos to FixedPlayerStart
    • added PlayfieldLevelOverride to PlanetDynamic

EDIT: Known Issue for now:

A9 Prefabs won't be imported for now into Random POIs. Something in the EPB header changed and I needed to choose between old format and new.
    Will need a complete rewrite of the EPB handler. Will be another week or so. Sorry

DOWNLOAD LINK:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7v6bgxv33wvnhm0/EPD_v1592_public.zip?dl=0

/jmc

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    RexXxuS, Bollen, Myrmidon and 4 others like this.
  5. Bollen

Bollen Captain

M
    Man that was fast! Congrats...!

jmcburn likes this.
  6. xXDeathXx

xXDeathXx Commander

man your a god, if you ever want donations for your time, I'd drop to support you for real thanks for all that you do to help us with your tools man.

jmcburn and Bollen like this.
  7. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

UPDATE (v1.59.3)

CHANGES:

• added Factions to RandomPlanetVesselBase, RandomPlanetVessel & FixedSpaceVessel
    • added first try of PlayerStatus in FixedPlayerStart
    • added missing RipperDog to DroneBaseStock
    • changed Splash to Alpha8+
    Thx to @Taelyn for reporting.

Known Issue:
    A9 Prefabs won't be imported for now into Random POIs. Something in the EPB header changed and I needed to choose between old format and new.
    Will need a complete rewrite of the EPB handler. Will be another week or so. Sorry

DOWNLOAD LINK:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/59xsckj00w8qlu9/EPD_v1593_public.zip?dl=0

/jmc

RexXxuS and Taelyn like this.
  8. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Any idea when proper tutorials will get published?

9. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Sorry, honestly no idea. I barely have the time to do the updates.
    And secondly, I only have very basic knowledge of how this all works together in detail. I know how the playfields work, but there's so many dos and don'ts I simply have no idea about. This would require a tremendous amount of time to test in first place.

I doubt, I will do any real tutorials or manual while in Alpha, because as soon as you write something down, it's already obsolete again.

/jmc

Taelyn likes this.
  10. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I understand the time consuming part. I do not have the time to use your tool and experiment trying the tons of settings it has and executing tons of try and error condition. That said it renders your tool useless. Thank you.

11. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Works pretty straight forward tbh. If u know how the playfield.yaml works in notepad++ then u know how the tool works too

jmcburn likes this.
  12. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Sorry to hear, but as @Taelyn said, what you are looking for, is a documentation of playfields and their settings/limits, as EPD is merely a translation from YAML to GUI.

No one except the devs or maybe someone who already gathered massive knowledge in playfield creation over the years can do an in-depth tutorial about that.

The only info I and all others get are the Annoucement threads and the ExamplePlanet and ExampleSapce playfields in the playfields folder, that come with the game. There you can find some explanations of how different settings work. But not even those are up-to-date, when I look at the recent A9 changes.
    I included most of those known infos in the tooltips for each GUI element in EPD.
    I also offer limits for inputs for each parameter, as far as I know them. And I set up a basic preflight, that should keep you from making the most common mistakes.

Developing playfields is hard work and very time consuming. I never said, it was easy, even with EPD. I just try to give an graphical interface to people, so that they at least don't have to bother with yaml syntax and make editing a little faster.

/jmc

13. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

You got me wrong here. Maybe I did not understand how the tool works in first place also. What I am looking for is how to use your tool. Your description helps. The tool just helps the user to edit playfield.yaml files by GUI means instead of raw text editing. Am I correct? If this is the case the name of the tool is very confusing. It should be something like "Empyrion Playfield Editor". You map variables to GUI selection boxes etc.

The user does not start to design a playfield from scratch according to EGS rules for playfields, rather uses the tool to alter playfields modifying existing ones to new ones. This makes it more appealing to me. Again there should be a GUI explanation of what every menu or selection box or value does, so the amateur moder start to get familiar with the playfields.

jmcburn likes this.
  14. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Basically, yes. With some convenvience functions like Copy/Paste, preview pictures, limits check, ...

Well you could create a playfield from scratch also, but it's rather time consuming. And there's most probably already some playfield out there, that comes close to your vision.

There should be tooltips for (almost) every GUI element with some basic explanation/limits, when you hover over them.

But maybe this helps you out for now:
    http://www.fireclay.at/EPD/EPDWiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
    http://www.fireclay.at/EPD/EPDWiki/index.php?title=EPD/Usage

It's still just very simplistic, but maybe it has some information, you can use.

/jmc

15. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Thank you for creating and maintaining this awesome tool!

The trader editor is still my favorite function in it. :D I find it super tedious to look up the names of items in the localization file and then have to manually re-order the trades in my custom traders whenever I want to remove an item or change the order of the trades. Using EPD I can change my traders or make new ones with just a few clicks and it saves so so so much time.

jmcburn likes this.
  16. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

@jmcburn Thank you for the link I will check it.

jmcburn and ravien_ff like this.
  17. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

If you any questions about one specific workflow or topic, I maybe could update/add to the wiki for that specific topic, if you want (as long as i know, how to do it :D )

/jmc

18. xXDeathXx

xXDeathXx Commander

did you ever think about making your own sector editor? i know hws has one but your tools work really smooth lol js

ravien_ff likes this.
  19. xXDeathXx

xXDeathXx Commander

@jmcburn hey are you going to add the faction to the Editing part for the vessels so it tags them in a group im not seeing that on the options when you edit and select the missions for any of them like SpacePatrol

20. xXDeathXx

xXDeathXx Commander

- Name: OrbitalPatrolVessel1
    Pos: [-2614, 658, 2227]
    SpaceVessel:
    - Name: OrbitalPatrolVessel
    Faction: Zirax <<----- this is the code that is sparking a error for the tool "Exception during deserialization"
    FixedMaxSpeed: 40