[TOOL] [DISCONTINUED] Empyrion Playfield Designer Alpha7 v1.36.1 [deprecated version]

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by jmcburn, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Ok found it, the english translation that you picked as template is commented out with a '# ' in the beginning of the line.
    So the english translation is not used by EPD (as it is still incomplete and hardcoded anyway). That's also why there are just a few files in the en-US folder.
    In the german translation (de-DE) there are all the files needed.

But if you remove the '#' from the beginning of the line it works.

upload_2017-10-15_18-15-48.png

i included the zip, where i removed the comment '#'.

/jmc

Attached Files:

Quarior likes this.
  2. Quarior

Quarior Commander

Oh OK. Thanks. I will see later if I have the time.
    Good luck and continuation.

3. steenhole

steenhole Lieutenant

I'm converting playfields from 6.0 to 7.0. Does distribution pattern need to be specified or will a default value be loaded in if it isn't? Also anything else I should keep an eye out for in converting?

Any help is appreciated.

4. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

I think, 6.x playfields should start without a problem in 7.0. The only thing is that some terrains might not exist anymore, so i would check, if they load up correctly in the game.
    I would check, if all the prefab POIs still exist in 7.0.
    I would check/refine StartupEquipment - maybe add the new orescanner, if desired.

DistTypePattern:
    - No, as far as i know, you don't need that, as there are 7.0 palyfields that don't use it. Deposits use a random spread then.

- if you WANT to use the new fixed terrain, you need to include a terrain.ecf in your playfield folder, then set the playfield's terrain in yaml to the name defined in 1st line of the terrain.ecf

- You CAN define PerlinCol in the terrain setup to add color variety to grass.

- You CAN setup splatmaps to use biome clusterspread based on SplatMap colors

That's just some things that come to mind. But in general, i think, you're pretty safe using 6.x playfields as they are.

/jmc

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    steenhole likes this.
  5. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Nightring likes this.
  6. Nightring

Nightring Ensign

Hey! Thanks for the awesome program...
    Just grabbed this latest version!!! Thanks so much!!!

Got a noob question here and I may just be doing something wrong...

I reset the options to point to the Empyrion - Galactic Survival folder instead of the Empyrion - Dedicated Server folder So I can get to my personal scenarios quicker when adding playfields and whatnot...
    Does this awesome tool not pick up the sub folders when I import prefabs?

it's ok if it doesnt, it's not a problem to add em by hand or reset the options to point to my personal scenarios as I work on em at all...

Was just wondering if it automated the process somewhere and I am just missing it? I added a bunch of POI's to a custom scenario I am working on and thinking about but it doesnt grab em from the custom scenario folder I created when I Import Prefabs...
    I didnt add em to the main folder so they dont get deleted or whatever at each update... Im currently in the exp branch...

Thanks for your time...

7. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Thanks for the kind feedback. Glad to hear that you like it.

Regarding your question:
    It should also import the prefabs from the scenarios folders.

Have you tried reimporting the prefabs with top left button 'Import Prefabs'?
    If still not working, maybe delete your config folder in EPD main folder and restart EPD again. Then it will ask for the game folder again and reimport everything.

/jmc

8. Nightring

Nightring Ensign

Thanks!! Will give that a shot here in a couple of hours or 6... Feeling ok today so I got to get some work done around the house LOL...

Edit - Just looked, that is the button I have been using... will try the config folder after chores- End Edit

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    jmcburn likes this.
  9. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Just re-checked. It's still working (for me). :)

One thing comes to mind, though.

It sort of depends where you want to use the prefab:
    If you want to place random POIs, you select the prefabs via it's 'GroupName' in the dropdown. If a blueprint doesn't have it's groupname set, then it won't get imported/displayed in the dropdown for random POIs.

But any prefab should show up in the fixed POIs dropdown list, as those get imported via the filename.

Another thing: Also try to delete the user.dat in the data folder when you delete the config folder. This is where the blueprints are stored.

Maybe this helps.

/jmc

Nightring likes this.
  10. Nightring

Nightring Ensign

A-ha!!!! I knew it was user error LOL... I know thats it... I just put em in the folder without setting their groupnames or testing em yet :) :) :) Thanks again for your time!!! Gotta run again... busy busy busy today!!!

jmcburn likes this.
  11. Captain Slogg

Captain Slogg Ensign

Hey Jmcburn, is the npc folder in the images directory misnamed? The thumbnails will not appear for the critters list, while the deco works a treat.

Cheers

12. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Thx for the info. I'll check it.

/jmc

13. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Idrona and Taelyn like this.
  14. Gallow

Gallow Ensign

works with 7.0.2? Having issues where it will crash after GO button when desert playfield is selected

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  15. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Wow! An impressive creation!

Just out of curiosity: why do you want your source code to be inaccessible to end users? It is your work and if Eleon doesn't mind then you are of course free to do as you see fit and I don't blame you. But still, I wonder what advantages you are garnering by not making it open source?

jmcburn likes this.
  16. steenhole

steenhole Lieutenant

Thank you for the aid! I was able to much more smoothly make the transition because of it. :D

jmcburn likes this.
  17. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Sorry to hear. I'll check it.

In all honesty i didn't take much care of the random generator as it didn't attract much interest when i released it and i didn't hear any feedback either. So i left it mostly to itself. :)

It should work, but it's highly possible that i missed something to adapt in v7.
    As i said, i will check it and bring it up to v7.

/jmc

18. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Couple of reasons:
    • I'm in close contacts with Eleon and they have been giving lots of helpful information. I'm not sure where developing all of this is heading in the future. ;) And as long that's not fully cleared up, i can't and won't release it.
    • I don't have the time to manage pull requests/review code and keeping it all together.
    • YOU don't WANT to get into that code, as it stands right now, believe me. As the forms are all auto generated via reflection, code attributes, Property parsers and what not. And that leads back to point 2. :D

But if i can't manage to keep up anymore one day, i'll maybe reconsider.

/jmc

dichebach likes this.
  19. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Sound like good reasons!

20. remeey

remeey Commander

Does this not work on windows server 2016 std ? If so do i need other software to make it run as of now it will not start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.