[TOOL] Empyrion Playfield Designer v2.43.0 EXP (Empyrion V1.11.x compatible)

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by jmcburn, May 5, 2018.

1. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Busy, busy, busy... :D

upload_2020-8-24_20-45-58.png
    upload_2020-8-24_20-55-22.png

It's not going to be perfect (at least not in the beginning), but it will give you a rough approximation of what the blueprint looks and help you pick the right one out of that long list of POIs. ;)

More block shapes will be added over time.
    Colors won't be perfect, as I can only pick one of the six block face colors for now and apply that to the whole block. Otherwise I most likely would lose GPU Instancing and performance would drop drastically.

Credits for his fantastic job in analyzing and understanding the EPB format and developing EPB lib go to @Apan Loon. I would not have come that far without his astonishing work.
    https://github.com/ApanLoon/EmpyrionStuff/tree/master/src/epb/EPBLib

https://empyriononline.com/threads/tool-empyrionstuff-epb-read-write.38089/

/jmc

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  2. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Ok Thanks for checking. I did it with a fixed game seed + a fixed playfield.yaml and maps were all offset. a bit at first then a lot after a few loads. Maybe it was due to the scale of the GroundShape I was using ...

That's what I did but it kept moving stuff around like I mentioned up here. On another note, I would like to ask - if possible - to prevent Fixed Biomes from flipping/ mirroring their stamp, either by a statement in the yaml or with an option in the stamp database ?
    Great ! And this is funny : just this morning after replying to ravienff I was in creative, and trying to see what all these "internal" POIs looked like, and I thought : "it sure would be practical if we could have screenshots of all these to see in the Playfield Editor what we're actually choosing..."

And there you go, with even much better. That will help a lot ! :)

jmcburn likes this.
  3. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Fixed seed should mean fixed everything.. Ill run some tests and see what can be done about it to improve it

Quarior, Germanicus and Kassonnade like this.
  4. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

A million thanks ! :)

Taelyn likes this.
  5. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

EPD v2.03 is out
    Full support of Empyrion v1.1.5

- New 3D View of Blueprints (accessible via new Groupname Browser in RandomPOIs). Will be added to a new Prefabs (FixedPOIs) browser as well, if this proofs stable.

You may have to wait a few seconds for the 3D mesh to be generated, especially with large blueprints. So please be patient. ;)

upload_2020-8-25_21-20-53.png
    upload_2020-8-25_21-22-52.png

- New GroupName Browser (Random POIs). Now lists all prefabs with selected groupname on the right.

upload_2020-8-25_20-58-2.png

- many bugfixes

Download
    http://empyriontools.org/download/

Changelog
    http://empyriontools.org/change-log/

/jmc

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Kassonnade, ravien_ff and Germanicus like this.
  6. Escarli

Escarli Rear Admiral

For the randomly generated playfields, there is no option to chose the Fog colour like there is in the fixed playfields, don't suppose there's a chance we could have this added? :) Easy to change by hand of course but as I said would be a very welcome addition :)

upload_2020-8-25_20-48-57.png

ravien_ff likes this.
  7. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Thanks for the report. I'll check it.

I may be mistaken, but wasn't there some change in the random planet yaml, that removed the FogColor in favor of a different system/property some time ago? I have some faint memories of removing it on purpose. But I'm not home, I need to check my notes resp. my code. Old and (for whatever reason) removed properties are still in, but just disabled. There I'll see, when I removed it.

But also quite possible, I just forgot to add it. :)

/jmc

Germanicus and Kassonnade like this.
  8. Escarli

Escarli Rear Admiral

No idea but I've been trying to change the fog color for ages now on random gens and failed... Until yesterday when I saw the fog color in the fixed yaml. So tried it in the random and it worked first time.

Kassonnade likes this.
  9. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

It looks like it has changed only in part (seen from templates):

Example_planet: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Static:

# Fog
    # AtmosphereFog: 0.4 # Float [0, 1] - Distant fog: larger values = stronger

FogCloudIntensity: 0.8 # Float [0, 1] - Waft of mist in air: larger values = stronger
    FogColor: "0.6, 1, 0.3" # Color picker - Color of fog, default is white "1,1,1"
    # GroundFogIntensity: 0 # Float [0, 1] - Ground Layer Fog: larger values = stronger
    # GroundFogHeight: 0 # Float [0, 800] - Ground Layer Fog Height

Dynamic:

GroundFogIntensityRange: [0.01, 0.1] # Float [0, 1] - Ground Layer Fog: larger values = stronger
    GroundFogHeightRange: [0, 800] # Float [0, 800] - Ground Layer Fog Height
    AtmosphereFogRange: [0.4, 0.5] # Float [0, 1] - Distant fog: larger values = stronger

MoonForest ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Static:

# Fog # (See playfield_dynamic)
    # AtmosphereFog: 0.35

FogCloudIntensity: 10
    # GroundFogIntensity: 0.03
    # GroundFogIntensity: 0.06
    # GroundFogHeight: 80

FogColor: "0.8, 0.9, 1.0"

Dynamic :

GroundFogProb: 1
    GroundFogIntensityRange: [0.1, 0.1]
    GroundFogHeightRange: [45, 45]

Barren: ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Static :

FogColor: "0.6, 1, 0.3"
    FogCloudIntensity: 0.8
    # AtmosphereFog: 0.9 # Needs to be below 0.5
    # GroundFogIntensity: 0.25
    # GroundFogHeight: 40

Dynamic :

AtmosphereFogRange: [0.4, 0.4] # Needs to be below 0.5, or clouds will be really ugly. - Formerly: 0.85, 9.95
    GroundFogProb: 1
    GroundFogIntensityRange: [0.15, 0.3]
    GroundFogHeightRange: [35, 45]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Well, if it works, Then I have forgotten to add it, so it will be added in next version. :)

Thanks for the checks, seems it is still in there. :) Most likely I was thinking about some other property. ;)

/jmc

Germanicus, Kassonnade and Escarli like this.
  11. Escarli

Escarli Rear Admiral

Awesome, greatly appreciated :)

12. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

EPD v2.04 is out

upload_2020-8-29_20-19-41.png

- 3D Blueprint View: added 70 new block shapes and a few windows to better represent the blueprint.
    - bug fixes

[Get it]

Germanicus, Taelyn, Myrmidon and 2 others like this.
  13. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

@jmcburn : maybe I was doing something wrong, but whenever I try to edit textures by clicking on the button "edit textures with the terrain editor" the EPD simply closes. What is the procedure for this ? It would be cool to be able to change textures "visually" but for now I just use paper and pen method and check the images in the EPD folders...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Taelyn : is this "normal" behavior ?

I found that some of the stock "stamps" with splatmaps always use the "catch all" biome's textures when these stamps are used with a fixed starter biome. I tried all imaginable options to make the splatmap active, to no avail. I checked with different stamps to be sure, and they work outside of the starter biome.

This is an example of a stamp ( MountainSharp_02_sp.png ) with splatmap that works ok in the "catchall biome ( with SelectionCriteria: true ). We can see the sand and grass replacing the rocks like I wanted them to for my test, using the standard format to assign textures as RGBA in the stamp splatmap :

NewGame_19_2020-08-30_05-54-06.png

But when I use that same stamp in the fixed biome (starter, or named otherwise) it takes the "underlying" biome's textures as default, whatever option I choose ( overlapOff, overlapAll, IgnoreForcedBiome true and false, etc) :

NewGame_19_2020-08-30_05-52-45.png

I also checked with a "test stamp" and the same happens.

ground_splat.png

In the "normal" biome (you can see here the stamp has flipped horizontally) showing my test splatmap :

NewGame_22_2020-08-30_06-14-09.png

And in the "fixed" biome :

NewGame_21_2020-08-30_06-09-36.png

Here it has the "normal" position, but no splatmap applied.

I use fixed playfields now, taken from the Invader vs Defender scenario, and I modify them in the EPD to strip them down so I don't break a million things when doing tests. With this playfield.yaml format, at last, things stay in place now (just the flipping stamps problem left)... :)

Also note that we can "overlap" fixed biomes and it works, but while the 2nd biome will be OK (pn top of the first one) the first biome will then be inverted horizontally. :(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Interesting to know that I can use simple 256-color grayscale png for heightmaps, no need to go fancy with alpha channel 16-bit grayscale png or RAW images hard to adjust...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    Germanicus likes this.
  14. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

OK, you have encountered a bug. :D

Where have you clicked exactly? In a biome on the "Open" button where it says "Setup textures in Terrain Editor" ? Or in the Tools Menu?

Could you upload epds log here? Found in logs subfolder in EPD's main folder.
    Could you also upload the terrain.ecf in question. maybe there's something in it that EPD can't read for whatever reason.

Thanks.

/jmc

Kassonnade likes this.
  15. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I just tried with the latest version and some stock playfields, and it was all fine... :rolleyes::D

I also checked with some fixed playfields from the Invaders vs Defenders scenario and no problem so far. Maybe this happens after I deleted some biomes and other things (from within the EPD interface) but I will have to check this later today. So far so good with the latest version. The prior version had me crash regularly on any attempt to edit textures by clicking the "edit" button in each or any biome's tab/ edit page.

It also boots faster now. :)

16. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

OK, if it was in an earlier version of EPD, then that explains it. I fixed a few things around the terrain editopr in the last two versions. Among other bugs there were two properties missing (Name and Name2). If you were trying to open a terrain.ecf with those two properties set, EPD would have crashed.

If something still comes up, please report.

/jmc

Kassonnade likes this.
  17. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Could be a bug, have to check it out. Can you please zip the stuff up and send me a PM where i can download?

Kassonnade likes this.
  18. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I will pm you tonight after I make a small zip with all this.

19. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Does anyone know why I can get this in my console right after I start a game ?

Trees-01.jpg

On some starts it showed me the same "errors" but with different trees (ElderBerryBushGreen, ElderBerryBush) and although they are included in this playfield.yaml this time they did not show up in the error list.

I'm trying to figure out why some types of trees are "refused" and at other times it's another selection of trees that get refused...

20. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Either the names are misspelled (improper capitalization is a common one) or those deco don't exist anymore in the game or have been replaced by new ones and they weren't updated in EPD.

However behavior should remain consistent, as long as the biome appears on the planet.