Weapons and their balance....

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by TrashMan, Jun 7, 2021.

1. TrashMan

TrashMan Commander

I said it before and I say it again.
    The weapon selection and balance is severely lacking. Not so much for man-portable weapons, but for ships.

1. Ammo for BA/CV is both expensive and is spent quickly. A boost in what you get might be in order.

2. The selection of guns - their looks, size and balance - is downright bad. No REALLY big guns/turrets. Want to make a big space battleship? Well, there's no turrret big enough, nor any turret that fits the aestthetic. so MORE TURRETS. More SIZES. 5x5 turrets and 7x7 turrets!

3. Ammo makes no sense. A tiny gattling gun on a SV uses the same ammo as a big one on the BA/CV. Makes no sense. Make ammo and caliber make sense. Make different sizes/calibers of weapons.

So a fixed gattling gun for a SV might use 15mm ammo. But the turret might use smaller ammo. OR you might have different sizes of turrets. And the BA/SV might use 30mm ammo. All damage should scale accordingly. Add a basic projectile weapon other than a gattling gun. An autocannon.

8.3mm ammo - minigun, small minigun turret?
    9mm ammo - pistols, defense turrets?
    10mm ammo - rifles, defense turrets?
    12mm bullet - sniper rifle, bigger autocannon?
    15mm ammo - bigger minigun, sniper rifile OR upgraded sniper rifle?
    30 mm ammo - BIG minigun, cannon turrret
    60mm ammo - BIGGEST minigun?, bigger cannon trurret?
    120mm ammo - atrillery turret
    200mm ammo - big artillery turret
    360mm ammo - BIGGEST artillery turret

4. Sound and feel are off. Gattling guns don't sound like gattling guns and don't behave like gattling guns. The RoF is abysmal. Stock minigun has a RPM of around 300. Real miniguns have a RPM of 3000-6000 (with the record holder being a russian monster at 18000 rpm IIRC). Sound is easy fix. RoF and ammo capacity easy for the player held gun.
    On vehicles, due to collison/damage calculation it might cause performance issues, so I suggest faking it - just make the sprite/particle look like lots of bullets instead of one.