Where do I find this SV block?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shortName, Oct 30, 2023.

1. shortName

shortName Lieutenant

I'm trying to repair a Merc-MX5E I spawned from the library a couple days ago. Some blocks are missing, probably because I was shot at, at the other side. I can't use the repair station because I was in the middle of modifying it when I discovered the damage.

I can't find the block I made yellow on the screenshot anywhere in the selection of blocks. This block looks like some kind of trapezoid. The other side of the SV is damaged and I want to repair that.

Why doesn't the multitool say what of type block it's pointed at? Only saying 'Steel Block S' isn't too helpful. We need to know exactly what type the block is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Inserting images still doesn't work. When I try to upload it says the file type is not supported for both png and jpg. Inserting an image through the landscape icon only shows a crossed square.

https://www.adminart.net:8055/block.jpg
    https://www.adminart.net:8055/damaged.jpg

2. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

Looks like this block here, rotated 90 degrees.

[​IMG]

3. shortName

shortName Lieutenant

Thanks, how did you know?

I even found the block that goes before that one towards the rear which a full block, but the ones above I can't find. It's too difficult to see when trying to fit one, and there is no way to tell what type of block to use by looking at one.

Without the multitool displaying the type of block, or some other way to know which type a block is, stuff is not fixable.

4. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

When you've worked with the blocks enough, you learn a few of them by sight :) Besides, the 2:1 slope blocks get some heavy use in a lot of builds, so learning which ones go together to make smooth slopes is important.

The other way is extrapolation. Follow the lines until they connect, and try to visualize the resultant 3d shape. Takes a bit of practice but I'm confident that anyone could learn that skill.

[​IMG]

And the third way is to copy the blocks on the other side. When you have blocks in hand, aim at the block you want to copy and press CTRL + RMB, and the block you are holding will change to that shape. Then you can rotate and place as needed.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
    ChiefSgtBradley likes this.
  5. Paranoid Loyd

Paranoid Loyd Ensign

ChiefSgtBradley and Slam Jones like this.
  6. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

Good call! Ctrl + RMB is correct, I will update my post

7. shortName

shortName Lieutenant

Oh, thanks, I had no idea I could copy blocks!

BTW, I ended up salvaging the SV and replaced it with a copy of my own build because it had significant disadvanges: Almost all blocks are carbon and kinda fall off by just looking at them once the shield is depleted, and it's way too difficult to get into the cabin, especially under hazardous conditions, like when you want to use the armor locker to change boosters for better protection. My design doesn't have these issues.