why are batteries not added yet?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by GodOfGuns, Aug 11, 2024.

?

do you want batteries on ships, no matter if they are limited use or not?

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

50.0%
  3. maybe

50.0%
  1. GodOfGuns

GodOfGuns Lieutenant

-you have a system that scans a container and attempts recipes automatically from a source box(furnace logic)
    -you have a system that manages energy like a battery(solar capacitor)
    -you have a deco block begging for a purpose like this(deco capacitor, even small versions)
    -you have a recipe system that can tolerate tweaking and a method to edit placement and count and even targeting of what type of ammo a turret uses(config files)
    -you have docking perfectly sorted and stable
    -you have ways to link vessels and interact with a non-vessel source(wireless logistics and station services)
    this is LITERALLY ALL the parts you need to add battery power to mobile ships, all it takes is someone with access to source code to mix them up with some basic placeholder threshold values(wouldn't want chargers to run when power is 0% or attempt to discharge at 100%, wasting excess)

may I ask for a response from the devs why they are avoiding this logical and nearly universally requested feature still?
    I would like a good reason why we SHOUDLN'T add batteries to ships, we have fridges, we have grow lights, those things would be STUPID to run off generators when solar and battery blocks ALREADY exist(and no, living in a fixed base is more a placeholder to nomad lovers until logistics can auto-pick and auto-load crops into your mothership, which is literally what the config calls it and it can't be without better renewables)
    actually it might be as easy as linking the capacitor blocks(and maybe fuel tanks and O2) when docking
    the power levels will equalize(and can even be actively "pumped" based on a simple percentage interface) and then you can simply fly to a mining device(should be added as wireless and so auto-refuel and auto collect) then fly to your base(drop off ore cargo and restock fuel packs) then wait until the station fills a box with charged batteries and recharges your ship
    would be a boon for when you add basic combat AI controllers for fighters(not everyone has enough friends to be fair in PVP space fights) as the ships will dock and refuel+restock

tell me why you fight adding batteries to ships in a manner that doesn't cause mass deletion of parts of the ship because it isn't designed to be on a ship

2. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

The better question would have been: 'Do you want solar panels and capacitators to be used with ships?'
    Batteries alone are useless otherwise. Provided that these devices would work the same way like in bases - which they even do not in a modded game, the argument is: No, solar panels do not provide enough energy to run a ship with the many devices that could be used at the same time, the advantage would be neglectable because batteries - like those in bases - take a considerable amount of time to charge, and that's not practicable for a vessel flying around.

But yes, it would be useful to charge batteries while the vessel stands still, not using any power. So I will re-visit my 'no' answer in your poll.

Besides, using solar power on ships would be an argument for never having to use a base, and that's not what this game should be about, I guess in the dev's point of view. Probably that's the main reason for why it's not in the game.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2024