Coop: Dedicated server needed? (Different planets)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer Meeting Room' started by Mr. Gulasch, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Mr. Gulasch

Mr. Gulasch Ensign

Hello everybody,

I am playing this game Coop with a friend. At the moment, we are doing it so, that I start a normal Singleplayer game and my friend connects to that game via direct connect by entering my IP. So far this worked out just fine for us. But there is one problem: We cannot leave or enter planets when in space unless we are both in the same ship. Is there any way we can change this game behaviour?

If we have to use a dedicated server I would like to know:
    - Is it possible to use our current Singleplayer/Coop savegame and import it somehow to the server? (We don´t wanna start all over again)
    - Can I run a dedicated server on the same PC on which I am playing the game? (Intel Core i7 6700, 16 GB DDR4, Geforce 960)
    - If these two points can be answered with “yes”, is there an easy way to start these dedicated servers? I don´t want to change anything of the settings of the normal Singeplayer mode. A normal server with standard settings will be fine for us.

Thank you in advance for any help!

2. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Direct-connect co-op is unsupported, so you'll need to use the dedicated. I run it on the same PC I play on (similar specs) so you should be fine. You can copy your savegame over to the dedicated, and then set the dedicated.yaml to point to that save, and I am not sure if the seed needs to be set the same in there as well. (dedicated.yaml contains all the settings you need to mess with.)

Mr. Gulasch and Frigidman like this.
  3. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

To be safe, I would suggest setting the seed the same in the server yaml. As it uses that seed for any new playfield templates it yanks for areas not yet visited.

Also, when you go with the dedicated server setup, be sure to SET A PASSWORD. You do not want your private DS for co-op play to be open to the public, as the public will wreck your game ;)

If you need help on port forwarding, and the other nittygrittyness of the server yaml, there are many here who can help! Just ask, and be specific.

Mr. Gulasch likes this.
  4. Mr. Gulasch

Mr. Gulasch Ensign

Thanks for the fast help. I have downloaded the dedicated server and followed the guide from rewt to setup the server. I have created a mysettings file and a server1 file.

In the settings I have put behind GameName the name of our save file (which i copied in the right folder before). I tried to connect to the server and it seems like everyhting works fine. Anyhow, I am not sure if the seed is the correct one. Where can I find out the seed of my savegame so it fits with the one from the server?

Also, when I first connected to my server I had to type in the passwort but not the 2nd and 3rd time. Is this normal? Do you only have to enter a passwort to a server once?
    I have removed the "#" in the front of the line in the config file.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  5. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Once you correctly type in a password for a server, it recalls it for connections after. Unless the server changes their password.

As for finding the seed number from your save, so you can type that into the server yaml ... uhmmm... er. I don't know how to get that out of the save files, since they are all data/binary/unreadable (easily). Maybe someone has a tool around here for that information.

Mr. Gulasch likes this.
  6. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Open the console (in SP if needed) right after you load into a game and it will say playfield loaded with seed _____. :)

Frigidman and Mr. Gulasch like this.
  7. Mr. Gulasch

Mr. Gulasch Ensign

I found something unter Templates/Temperate/playfield.yaml.
    Says my seed is 123456. It´s so stupid it could be really my seed XD
    But there is a "#" in front of it, which confuses me a bit...

Edit: Thanks, LiftPizzas, I will try that!

8. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Templates are whats pulled from, so they don't have their own seed set (thus the #). The game pulls a copy from templates, applies the seed of the game you are playing, then saves that template into your saved game playfields data stuffs.

And thanks Lift... thats something I never thought to look at! debug output! Doh ;)

9. Mr. Gulasch

Mr. Gulasch Ensign

Very good. Found out the seed number and tryied it with a new game. Worked perfectly. I will use it in the server settings now.

Anything else I should know about server settings? I have already adjusted the difficulty levels so they fit with our savegame.