Linux Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Discussion' started by StoneLegion, Mar 25, 2015.

1. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Yea that's definitely good news, pity we always have to wait so long for stuff like this.

2. JamesMorissen

JamesMorissen Ensign

Wine 1.7.52 supports Direct X 11 now (experimental)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  3. hoxer

hoxer Commander

Touching this Linux post because well just because <3 :rolleyes:

4. OzenRay

OzenRay Commander

well linux are niice and "less ressource eater" but still vine can emulate not runing like a intergral OS that why i dont play on my linux only for that wine are good for small program even a audio program (with sound bug emulation sometime.)

ButtTTT I hope that Empyrion will have thier proper verssion for linux in any case i got my winX and Kubuntu I feel safe :p

I guess ...

5. JamesMorissen

JamesMorissen Ensign

I have no problems with wine :) I use playonlinux to play Lord of the Rings online.

I feel safe too ;)

6. Dexter

Dexter Lieutenant

Bring on dedicated server linux version at the very least.

Sort of a no brainer for the long run, surely.

7. Kamigi

Kamigi Ensign

Hello,

I tried this game with a few friends and didn't find in the Thread, if it's possible to use Empyrion Server with wine on linux.

I installed a dedicated server on my computer, it's not so hard to configure and use on windows.
    But as most of the people i would like to get my computer shutdown when i am not working on it and let my friends play on my server.
    I already have my own linux server on the net which i use for many things, so i tried to install on this debian 8 system the dedicated server by installing Steam and the dedicated server binaries, when i am trying to launch the exe by wine i got a wrong EXE error.

Has someone succeeded to use Empyrion Server with Wine ?

8. medicineman

medicineman Captain

I would like to vote for a linux port if that is something that is going on here. Windows 7 is the last version of windows that any of my machines will ever run, period. I'll keep windows 7 around to play games for as long as it will work but in the end I'm never going to another version of windows.

So it's either develop with linux or mind or lose people like me. You can't expect microsoft's coercive and monopolistic tactics to work forever. People have been getting sick of them for years.

Don't be dinosaurs Eleon.

9. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

I stuck with Windows 7 through the Windows 8/8.1 debacle, but did upgrade my systems to Windows 10. The installed size seems to be about the same, things seem to be as stable, and the built-in virus protection seems to be somewhat improved (easy enough when the baseline is slow low, of course), so I'd say it was worth the (free at the time) upgrade.

I've become basically resigned to game developers starting on Windows instead of being cross-platform from the start, so my solution as a linux user has been to create a Windows VM with a passed-through graphics card to use as a kind of game server (I connect to it via Steam In-Home Streaming). For anyone interested in the details of setting this up, this is the guide that I used:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=212692

Since many new processors and motherboards support virtualization and IOMMU, such a setup is not restricted to high-end hardware anymore. While doing this could be considered admitting defeat by some, I see it more as linux continuing to enable us to run our systems in exactly the way we want. Linux is the great adapter, and I view running Windows games at full speed in a VM as one of its greatest successes. To say that I am highly pleased to be able to start and stop Windows at a whim without ever leaving my linux desktop environment would be a massive understatement.

medicineman likes this.
  10. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

*YAWN*