Misc Questions

Discussion in 'Scenarios' started by zztong, Jun 27, 2017.

1. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

I started looking at Scenarios again last night. (I last looked in 5.0a.) The Sectors YAML seems mostly clear to me. I've just started to look at Playfields.

Can I make an Orbit playfield around the Sun? I'm guessing not. I don't think its critical, but I'm curious.

Can I have the player start on a POI in orbit, such as a Trading Station?

Can I make freighters a member of a neutral faction? If so, can I make it on a freighter by freighter basis such that some are pirates?

Can I make a freighter of a friendly faction?

Can I place an HV, SV, or CV?

Can I make hostiles, like a patrol of Zirax, part of the spawn list?

One part of the FAQ states the only folder to persist is SAVES, yet the Scenarios part of the FAQ suggests that custom scenarios will persist. Maybe its clear and I'm just not reading it right, but which is it?

2. amurayiwestgate

amurayiwestgate Captain

• Developer
    > Can I make an Orbit playfield around the Sun?
    No.

> Can I have the player start on a POI in orbit, such as a Trading Station?
    Yes. np. If you also place a player spawner object you can even control which exact spot the player will spawn on.

> Can I make freighters a member of a neutral faction? If so, can I make it on a freighter by freighter basis such that some are pirates?
    No idea. You must experiment if they still work if you create them with Admin cores.

> Can I make a freighter of a friendly faction?
    see above.

> Can I place an HV, SV, or CV?
    Yes, but only in "Fixed" playfields. Orbits are always fixed environments. Planets can be either (check my blog in this forum where I talked about it a bit)

> Can I make hostiles, like a patrol of Zirax, part of the spawn list?
    You mean in biomes on planets? Yes.

zztong likes this.
  3. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

Now that I think about it, I can make a regular space-only playfield and locate it close to the sun, even if I cannot make it part of the Sun's definition.

amurayiwestgate likes this.
  4. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

The "Create a Scenario" instructions under the Alpha 6.0 topics...

http://empyriononline.com/threads/read-first-alpha-6-0-faq-for-mp-customization-scenario.11204/

... say ...

3. Create the following folders as sub-directories to your tutorial mainfolder
    - Extras
    - Playfields
    - Prefabs
    - Sectors
    - Configuration

... But the scenarios that come with the game have a Content/Configuration structure, which matches the Emyrion - Galactic Survival layout.

I assume the scenarios are correct and the instructions have an error. Yes?

5. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

Hmm, I'm missing something. Despite the scenario screen telling me I will start in orbit, I begin the game falling to my doom over the planet.

From Sectors.yaml
    Playfields:
    - ['0, 0, 0', Hesb Orbit, SpaceEmptyHesb, 'Explorer:2']
    - ['0, 0, 0', Hesb, TemperateHesb]
    - ['6000, -4000, 7000', Hesb Moon, Moon]

The third (optional) parameter on the Hesb Orbit line controls the starting playfield, right?

I've not found what Human:1 or Explorer:2 mean.

Within the Hesb Orbit playfield is the TSO_AkuaOrbit POI, which appears to have a Player Spawn point in it. I loaded up that BP and looked around. It was on the top floor.

In the playfield.yaml file, the planet has a Random POI with PlayerStart: True on it. I tried moving that to the POI in the orbit file, and it didn't work.

Any suggestions?

6. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Some servers just create a Lava planet, use the brightest colour setting of red, make the terrain indestructible, allow no CV to planet surface, set the temperature to 700 degrees and that will stop all but the insane from going there and the insane wont live long.......Gives you a red planet you can use as a sun and in the sector file make all suns have a Star icon and only suns with start icon, if you want an example of this the server called Omicron Darkness has this very setup.

Starwing6 and amurayiwestgate like this.
  7. amurayiwestgate

amurayiwestgate Captain

• Developer
    > But the scenarios that come with the game have a Content/Configuration structure, which matches the Emyrion - Galactic Survival layout.

We stick to the file structure that other scenario use and it works fine for us.

> Despite the scenario screen telling me I will start in orbit, I begin the game falling to my doom over the planet.
    You can have yourself spawn in a structure as a player start. If there is no structure, of course, you will fall around in space as usual.

> I've not found what Human:1 or Explorer:2 mean.
    These are "races". So you could one race called "dwarves" and the other called "elves" and give them different access to instances etc.
    So a "Human" is not an "Explorer" and vice versa.

> In the playfield.yaml file, the planet has a Random POI with PlayerStart: True on it. I tried moving that to the POI in the orbit file, and it didn't work.
    Orbits are "Fixed" environments and use a completely different coding than "random spawn" playfields for planets.
    i.e. In Fixed enviroment, you spawn an object via its FILENAME at specific x,y,z coordinates while on a "random" playfield you make the game spawn it at a seeded location with the object's GROUPNAME.

Starwing6 likes this.