NPCs (creatures and drones)

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. wllcapmax

wllcapmax Ensign

I appreciate the feedback as it is very scientifically founded. I will pose the Venusian-type planet concept to Eleon. Wikipedia Quotes:
    1. The atmospheric pressure at the planet's (Venus) surface is 92 times that of Earth. Therefore, maybe Eleon can make "surface gravity" (meaning surface pressure) 90x on surface but solar system mass/gravity the same as similar celestial bodies at the solar system level.
    2. Venus is by far the hottest planet in the Solar System, even though Mercury is closer to the Sun. Venus is shrouded by an opaque layer of highly reflective clouds of sulfuric acid, preventing its surface from being seen from space in visible light. First, this fact would mean that a Venusian planet-type will have constant colored clouds without any "visible sky". Second, due to the various issues at the surface level, I believe that this planet type is both difficult to colonize due to pressure/heat/acidity and would cause moderate wear to any structures built or vehicles present, immediate health damage when outside, and a very difficult to jump, jetpack, hover. There are no points-of-interests on these planet types. Eleon could counter these downsides by making profuse resources present on or close to the surface (asteroids or surface deposits).
    1A. On a separate note, It would be nice to have a mechanism for potential contact between celestial bodies which, as you say, would cause a mass extinction event and constant cloud cover on the larger remaining planet Even if the contact between planets/planetoids can be a million to billion year process, it would be cool to see the effect within a few game hours. This event would also require immediate evacuation by the player (possibly with a countdown timer) before directly witnessing planetary collision from the surface. The downside to death ignoring planetary collision will be a spawn toward the part of the world farthest from the impact zone and a loss of many pack items. The collision could also be viewed from local space, after which the the planetary decomposition/fragments are still visible in space. This mechanic would also cause constant dark cloud cover due to dirt/ash displacement.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    Flermpick, Tyrax Lightning and Ehta like this.
  2. Woodscraps

Woodscraps Ensign

I just got the game two days ago. Playing offline on the easy planet so far. I really like that the drones keep you on your toes while you're mining. An idea might be to have either new bad guys or new versions of bad guys spawn as you level up after a certain point. The really hard ones can be really hard to find, but it's always great to have a challenge that even if it doesn't find you, you can still go find it.

Having more attacks on the base would be good. Especially if you get advance warning of it happening. The more notice, maybe the harder the attack can be? Something like that maybe. I generally like it pretty well. I've been playing for hours and hours and there are still bad guys to go find.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  3. =TCR= Big_Red

=TCR= Big_Red Rear Admiral

If your looking for a challenge. Take your favorite fire arm and run up to the mining complex and take it over. Drone's are a lazy man's way to free loot.:p

Osfognarg and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  4. Osfognarg

Osfognarg Lieutenant

That's one of my favorite pastimes, killing bases. Or missile silos, or power stations, or whatever alien building pops up on the radar. lol

5. Osfognarg

Osfognarg Lieutenant

"More powerful than a locomotive!" And some of your creatures are that strong. My ship measures in at about 5.25kt. And, several times, arachnids and otyugh have pushed it around like it was a piece of tissue. I did a search to see if someone mentioned this somewhere else, but I didn't get any results that matched. Might want to make ships respond to gravity a bit more. I don't know if you can do that without making every CV out there crash land, but it would sure help, in case you're parked on a narrow patch of land on a mountain and don't want to chase your CV down the mountainside.

6. Ehta

Ehta Commander

It would appear to be an old bug, it's been around at least from 5.0 from what I can tell. Might want to make a bug report out of it if you feel like it would need more attention. It's quite annoying and happens on all creatures despite size or weight of the object. I've tried spawning close 100m long cap ship on the ground and couldn't enter it since one dino kept walking into it, which would send the whole thing rolling all the time. I did actually delete that save though, wasted tons of materials to create a rolling toy for dinosaur :D

7. Osfognarg

Osfognarg Lieutenant

That's cool. If it's an old bug, then there's probably a report on it already and they're working on it. I just didn't find one in my search. Luckily, my ship has a pretty wide stance, or it would probably have gone rolling, too. It did slide down a mountain, though.

8. iamhax

iamhax Ensign

The npcs have alot of bugs where they stack on each other and u turn a cornor and get 1 shot cause there are 3-4 npcs stacking on each other.
    so you have to peel the building back and snipe them through the floor above. I find the npcs need alot of work From the way they patrol to how they move in fights aswell as the graphix of the npcs need abit of an upgrade. These are the npcs on the first world and the moon i am not sure how the rest of the planets are like but yeah. I think the drones are great i would add in a different mini map icon for active and dead drones like red for moving drones which is current and maybe green for shot down dead ones. since when you go to the moon there are like 30 drones in 1 area and its hard to tell which ones u have killed on the mini map. I think that would help.

9. vinurd

vinurd Commander

monsters are cool. AUKE on me holding the proverbial flower. Before I flew to other planets.This gives drive. Why not make monsters randomly ganerat? only the dummy animation -10 pieces - and the rest on a random selection of parts of the body head and other things. To do with plants. Then about NPCs if you enter a distant star system and then the semantic orientation is necessary to develop a system of Economics. And Trading Production sale. Buy what not to make it d. Plus later minor quests on the Planty.

10. Wit

Wit Ensign

I feel like enemies should scale more - but not with level. Scaling with level makes everything feel pointless or it produces an extreme where leveling up is BAD, and you must try to avoid it. It doesn't adjust to your playstyle. By scaling I would want to see systems be clearly labelled and meaningfully contain harder aliens/plant-life, and rewards. Akua felt about right for a brand new player, but even then I was resorting to rocket launchers and dying a lot, despite having watched about 10 hours of videos and knowing exactly how to do things, at least in theory.

Better balancing of personal, small craft, and capital ship threat levels. POIs do okay at this. Drones less so. I find small craft vs drone base fighting the most exciting in the game because I can dodge, and hits hurt but aren't one shots, and they get expensive but aren't lethal. (Personal armor might help?) Capital ships either were just too much of a hassle to repair (1,500 blocks individually inspected for damage) - not difficult, but not fun vs. one shot guy on foot (also not fun).

Drones at the start felt about right. But if drones outside of Akua space aren't much tougher, they're far too weak for mid-game when I can go drone hunting in a vehicle.

The fact that none of the minigun/humanoid alien's fire can't be dodged is . . . I'm not sure. It kind of results in stand and shoot. It's fine if they're spread out, but until the AI gets fixed, they never patrol and just stand on top of each other in groups of 5, so you can be one-shot by what looks like a single alien. Right now I'm kind of cheesing sometimes (rocket launcher, always approach through the ceiling) so maybe they're a bit tough where they should be easiest - but don't scale. That said, if they got much more difficult (since they don't miss) that would be bad unless you added some kind of defensive ability that scales. For example, on a HARD planet if you could eventually make armor, then better armor, then power armor, you could have enemies that deal enough damage to one shot an unarmored guy - but that would obviously be too much on Akua.

It would be nice to see things like Easy POIs (Power stations), average POIs that are kind of a must kill (drone bases), and hard POIs that are very profitable for loot (early on this means the ability to maybe drop a power coil).

Playing into NPC balance though, one challenge is T1 vs T2 vs Top End weapons. You can't assume anyone has anything that requires power coils until after they can mine it. I lost all mine falling through the world a few times, or dying where it wasn't worth the effort to go get my backpack.

I have never left Akua, so I can't speak to the alien life on other planets. I'm debating cost v. reward because the only thing I really want (the only upgrades that matter) are power coils. Everything else is irrelevant.

I find two things help a lot in these games to keep me interested.
    (1) Difficulty settings. Long term the more of these you can add to the game, the better. As I get better at the game, maybe I'd want an enemy damage or just an enemy health slider. (Having both would be ideal). Maybe I want to start on a particular planet that's easy to live on (like akua) but with hard enemies.

(2) I like the idea of clearly labelled areas where the difficulty is clearly higher, and the rewards are higher. E.g., system Omega is patrolled by small enemy warships. Bring a Frigate. Rewards are huge. Like crates and crates full of minerals. That would be something to work up to.

(3) Some kind of heat map communicated to the player. E.g., if you have more than one thing with 50 blocks or 100 total crafted blocks in a 100 meter radius, it attracks 1 drone a day. 100/200 3 a day. Something like that.

Other thoughts:
    Drones attacking small craft when you're not there is . . . more annoying than fun. It gives you a reason to use hovercraft, but it means I am constantly watching for threats. But I understand you want ground vehicles to have a purpose. Some kind of warning system that gives you 5 minutes to get to your small crat would be nice. Maybe something crafted that sends you a message: "Warning, drone heading towards small craft __" (can we name them ?) or "drone has spotted" . . . would make drones perhaps less annoying? I remember watching Kage848 play, and he was raiding a POI, and he'd keep going "wait, is that something shooting at my small craft?" and he kept running outside to check. It made for a really annoying POI clear.

then again, maybe this is just a way to encourage land vehicles. So honestly it wouldn't be the end of the world if this didn't change. Could you at least add a "X is under attack" option? I hate being afraid to leave my base because I can't be sure the canon won't bug or run out of ammo while I'm gone early game where i can't afford to just put 10,000 rounds in the cannon, and double them up to make sure they're not bugged and can cover all areas.

So I guess TL:DR: enemies on Akua felt about right for a new player with a lot of experience in these types of games (I have 1000 hours in 7 days to die and minecraft) who does their research in advance (I watched 20 of Kage848's most recent let'splays before starting), and may even be a bit too hard for some players, alien POIs are still going to be deadly to me in other systems, but I do not expect drones in other systems to be a challenge in a vehicle (and I will hunt down drone bases ASAP, because I can't afford to lose small craft and they are still deadly to me on foot if they get within range of me). (a slider to adjust enemy health and damage at the start menu would do amazing things --- separate sliders for drones, ground troops (including sentry guns), and fauna would be good too.

Tyrax Lightning and Ehta like this.
  11. Zedd

Zedd Captain

More aliens! (preferably with high-tech guns and ships)

Smarter/more resilient drones.

Less creatures on Omicron...how is there an Otyugh every 15m on a relatively barren planet?!

More creatures on Masperon. Should be tunnels leading to their hive. If you fight with a few scorpions, they begin to scream/emit pheromones and then more rush out, like an ant colony.

Slightly related note....troop transport needs a Core. I was really disappointed that I couldn't commandeer it :(

12. Ehta

Ehta Commander

First of all welcome to the crowd, secondly some pointers if I may. I'm nowhere near the top players but after 250 hours and 12th round of survival going on, I think I might give you some insights which might or may not help :)

I fully agree that enemy difficulty levels should not scale with player level, but rather area's general difficulty, which is something they're kind of doing already. Planets that have rarer materials have drones and creatures, which are more resilient and do more damage and also there's no breathable atmosphere on many of them.

On the weapon side though, I personally think Projectile pistol T2 is the best weapon in game currently. Every single drone on any planet carries 0.5 caliber ammo so ammo is basically free, it does double damage compared to basic pistol and there's no limit on how fast you can shoot, aside from your trigger finger. So you can shoot full 15 bullet clip away in less than two seconds, which gives you much more dps than rocket launcher. Also the bullets are much faster and cannot be dodged. So if you like clearing your drone bases or factories on foot, I'd highly recommend getting one of those. Personally I use projectile T2 for everything aside from doors, for which shotgun or rocketlauncher is faster.

Second thing to try is make or get blueprint( personally I use my Mini-Raid (Blueprint link http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=630185461 )small vessel and adding double gatling gun for this) from steam workshop for small vessel that is little enough to travel inside enemy bases. This means even if there's enemies in a stack of 5 you can still easily kill them before taking any substantial damage. Although I will warn you that in current patch there's a bug, which means that nothing understands to attack your small vessel if you are inside it and if it's inside enemy base. So in current patch nothing even tries to shoot you back as long as you are inside base, so it will get boring really really fast.

On the ground vessel/ small vessel / cap ship balance, I could recommend using small vessel for clearing ion cannons out of everything you see, after that you can just make capital ship and fly un-disturbed anywhere on the planet. Drones and creatures currently won't attack your cap ships or bases directly (they will however shoot at you if they spot you from either, so if you are standing next to cap ship or base drone shooting you might actually shoot your cap ship / base by an accident as well. Also if you have docked small vessel on top of cap ship and fly next to drone the drone might start attacking the small vessel on top of the cap ship) This is particularly hazardous with rocket and plasma drones in later areas :D

Drones attacking un-manned and un-powered small vessels is a slight problem atm,(there's also "funny" bug atm where bases ion cannons keep attacking your vessels even through the terrain if you agroed them before parking it) so make your small vessel small enough that you can either fit it underneath or inside the base you are raiding or blast large enough hole that you can get it in. This gets your ship out of the harms way, while you can concentrate on the clearing of the enemy base. For this I use My Mini-A ship which is small enough to get underneath or inside in almost any base. Also all of the Official starter ships that you have as standard in your blueprint library (quick key: F6) eat tons of resources and time compared to what you actually need for survival (you can make a working cap ship with under 50 blocks!) so I can understand frustration of having to mine few thousand ingots of iron because ion cannon got one hit on your cap ship. Here's for example the kit I personally use as a base for every single survival game I play: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=647246285

I only use cap ships to ferry my small vessels between planets and use small vessels to do both inside clearing and ion cannon clearing on every planet I go. All the ships I use are generally very cheap in both time and resources to make so I usually have one Mini-A ready in the blueprint library just for the back-up plan if my original gets busted for reason or other. Also for the start of the game I used gatlings and as soon as you can do first cap ship, dock one small vessel on top of it and go get few drillbits worth of two rarer materials so you can start making railguns, they're seriously easy on ammo cost and do decent damage. Easiest way is just to leave cap ship on the orbit and use small vessel to explore and find deposit that is far enough from enemy bases that you don't have to fight base as well as drones. Then just shoot down the drones, dig big enough hole sideways from the deposit, that you can get some "roof" over the area where you are digging and park your small vessel inside. OR o'course if you find area which is far enough from any base (400-600m or more) and only guarded by drones you can make open bottomed cap ship and just park that on top of the deposit and mine away, on any planet :D (here's one very cheap option on both materials and resources: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=645753532&searchtext=Earth-plug )

On the note of making bases, I usually am too lazy to make them myself so I'd highly recommend just taking out enemy cores from Either power plant on Akua or Xenu temple on Omicron (depending on which one you started) and removing antennas with remove/repair tool so your base won't hog loads of fuel to keep useless decorations. Then just pop your own core there and add more blocks until you are happy with the amount of space you have inside. Roof is most important thing you can get, since that will cover you from drones. You can make walls even out of glass and just chill inside while drones make rounds on the other side :D

And you are absolutely right as soon as you get first small vessel with even one railgun drones will be more "meh" than challenge. Actually as soon as you get your first projectile pistol T2 drones will be just, "hey free parts, with home delivery", while inside enemy bases you can occasionally still get one shotted (which is why I keep 1 to 5 spare guns with 250 rounds in cargo box so no matter where you die you can just get new gun and go get your backpack)

TL / DR
    -You, good sir are absolutely right :D
    -Drones are useless after you get projectile pistol T2
    -Drones are even more useless as soon as you get small vessel with a railgun
    -Drones and creatures won't currently engage capital ships or bases (they will however attack player or small vessels attached or in vicinity of them, which might result in collateral damage)
    -Drones won't shoot your small vessel if you park it inside enemy base when attacking it
    -Ion cannons shoot anything that moves, even through terrain, but can't aim very close or underneath them so always park so near that they cannot shoot you. (If you just destroy core from enemy base and leave cannons intact, they will still shoot your ships as you fly by, same applies if you put your own core there and use it as your base, the ion cannons will show in list of components installed at your base (quick key "P") but they will still shoot your ships)
    -Clearing bases after first planet is currently pointless, since there's nothing in the line of rewards that is worth of time used (as soon as you get two last rare materials anything you craft is better than anything found as a loot)
    -Ability to adjust the difficulty levels would be good but I suspect this will be covered once we get more planets with more variety on how "difficult" they are
    -Edit: sorry for a lecture, I've got a bad habit of making overly long posts :D

Flermpick and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  13. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Am I the only Minigun fan in the game? :(

Also, why the hell are any of you ever NOT killing all Base Turrets before entering the Base to Raid it? o_O

Lastly I still stand my ground that the Rocket Launcher is the fun way to blow Doors open.

Osfognarg and Ehta like this.
  14. Ehta

Ehta Commander

Yes you are :D It eats waaaaaay to much ammo(and you have to make every single one of those!) for the crappy dps it does, compared to pistol T2 which you get ammo for free from everywhere and can shoot as fast as you can click! :D

On the second pointer I can't say. I used to do my clearing on foot so I just left small vessel 300 to 500m away from base before attacking it, but that didn't really work since either drones got it or if you managed to agro ion cannons they would just continue shooting your vessel through the terrain. After that I just made my small vessels agile and small enough that you can just dance around them or park underneath and get rid of 'em before you go in. Haven't had any problems ever since on either issue, and then I got even lazier and made tiny small vessel which can fit inside so you don't have to walk inside the base either, alas nothing shoots it back so it's not really that fun or challenging atm :/

And yes hand-held or SV rockets are best for making imposing entrances, alas I'm quite sure that bots don't have the eye for it :D

Osfognarg and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  15. Tyrax Lightning

I suck at both using Pistols & at clicking speed. I'm more of a tough guy muscle head brute force kinda dude. With that said, if we ever get our way & Lasers get changed to Channeled Damage, it could well make Laser Rifles useful if not awesome & then Laser Rifles could well someday steal 1st Place Fav Weapon from the Minigun in the future. (Which I wouldn't really mind, the Minigun is a L15 Weapon vs Laser Rifle a L20 Weapon after all.) Even then I still might use the Minigun as my 'Hunting Weapon' cause Hunting Dinos with it is still damn fun, plus Laser Scorched Salami/Dino Stew Royal might not really taste very good. :p Also can the Pistol T2 Stunlock Enemies like a bawss like the Minigun can? My Minigun kills those damn stacked up groups of Alien Soldiers while they sit there & jiggle around & can't move or insta-gib me.

I also like Rocket Launchering the Outer Base Turrets cause the Aliens are often being caught by me being idiotic & building their Bases near Mountains & one can foot it up the opposite side & use the Mountaintop as cover. Doing this i've sometimes been able to laugh my way up a Mountainside & effortlessly get within 140ish Meters from that side's Turrets & blow them up then Jetpack onto the Base Roof & blow up the rest of the Base Turrets. XD

Osfognarg and Ehta like this.
  16. Osfognarg

Osfognarg Lieutenant

Personally, I like the T2 sniper rifle. Yeah, the ammo doesn't show up all that often to make it free. But I can pick off guys a looooong way away, before they can even get to me. For turret removal, I use the laser rifle. 18 shots and it's gone. I chose the laser rifle because of it's range and the fact I don't have to use up my valuable magnesium on ammo for it. And the third weapon I carry is the rocket launcher for door removal. And the occasional wall. :)

17. groo101

groo101 Commander

clearly the planets were seeded by someone, maybe the people who inhabit empyrion, i wish there were more mob types, and more drone types, includng player drones, rideable mobs and tameable guard mobs.

i tend to like the levels but maybe a little less omniscience for the drones. also if there is a wall that keeps you from seeing mobs, they shouldn't be able to track you through it. and a little less accuracy on drone weapons at longer ranges would be nice.

18. Tyrax Lightning

To be fair, Drones are Machines, so they might have fancy schmancy gadgets, like Radar, Thermal Vision, & such. Agree with your point when it comes to Enemy Soldiers though, unless they get to cheat & have fancy schmancy Helm Upgrades MONTHS or YEARS before us Players got to. (Even then they still need Balancing work on their AI.)

Also agree with ya on Rideable Mobs (I especially wanna ride Dinos! Could be a fun something to do while I wait on Mass Processing/Constructing!) & Tameable Guard Mobs. (I especially want Armored Golems for my Heavy Tanks & Goddamned BatsCrawlers for my Cavalry/Disposable Grunts. Allied Drones would be nice too. :)

19. THE_M3MER

THE_M3MER Ensign

Too many drone bases, I can't find a single area on omicron where there isn't a drone base.

20. =TCR= Big_Red

=TCR= Big_Red Rear Admiral

That's strange because I usually find the POI's grouped together. All with in eye site of each other. There are only like 6 or 7 POI's not including any downed ships.