Player Requested Playfield with no Drones.

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by piddlefoot, Jul 25, 2017.

1. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

This is a playfield I created in testing, to see if you could get a playfield to work without a drone base or drones, if you open the YAML you will find the drone base IS still in the YAML but its set up is different, with this YAML I have found that a lot of the time the drone base does not spawn at all.

When it does it has no drones and sends no troop transports. Its just a building at that point.

Its a very bare playfield with just a couple of civy structures and the mining complex.

Unless something has changed, this YAML works in both SP and MP.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7kp6jqmcrxfago7/playfield.yaml?dl=0

2. Ballard

Ballard Rear Admiral

Please satisfy my curiosity. Why no drones? I rather enjoy flaming a drone now and then.

3. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

In a system with 200 plus playfields theres has to be at least one deserted planet !

Why not anyway ? !

michaelhartman89, TK85 and Exacute like this.
  4. SixxGunZ

SixxGunZ Commander

Hey I'm there with you Piddle, the PvE'ers on my server would love it if drones were not wrecking them all day lol

5. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

I noticed another playfield with no drones in the Invader scenario where all the variables are simply set to 0.

0 is the default setting to turn stuff off.

6. Javarox87

Javarox87 Captain

I created a playfeild for Akira (previously Destiny) that is using one of the "Villages" as a drone base with everything set to 0. I've used the template it as a PVE safe world since Alpha 5. Even with only a little bit of blue crystals and tiny promethium deposits players are heavily attracted to the planet. We called the planet "Serinity Homeworld" on Destiny. Players built entire cities, ship dealerships, large space stations littered its orbit. Even trade became active. It's overall downfall was that players overbuilt the planet. When the max Structure count was hit (200), it was too late. 26million triangles, 46,000 devices. My advice is that when putting this concept on a populated server, put at least 4 versions of that planet in an orbit so your PVE players don't all settle on one. No matter how far it is or rescource poor it is, you can easily end up with Mexico City covering the surface of the planet.

7. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Mexico City !
    LOL , luv the description dude, I wonder when the planets are enlarged if some assets loading optimizations might be due, Eleon have done a bit of work on an order of process for things loading at different times as you approach them, the system is raw and not that old and needs fleshing out as planets change but it could be the key to allowing a lot more triangles per playfield. Works really good client side, the other question would be the optimizations to dedicated code to handle such numbers on the server. Either way, I don't see any other game that's even close to doing it at this scale, with around or over 100 in a server, short of MMOs that have dozens of servers connected as one network.

Javarox87 likes this.