Speed Run Competition (You can try it too!)

Discussion in 'Media - Screenshots, Videos, Streams!' started by LiftPizzas, Jan 15, 2017.

1. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

I decided to try a friendly competition and see how fast we can go from escape pod to destroying the Masperon Drone Base (fortress) core. I finished in 6 hours 22 minutes. I'll be trying to beat that time now!

Everyone is welcome to try and see how fast they can do it. Post your results if you complete it! :) Settings are:
    - Omicron start
    - Medium difficulty (leave all the defaults it sets)
    - Seed 730915625 (or do a different seed if you like)
    The only rule is that you have to stay on Omicron (as in, no going to space or to the moon) until you've destroyed the Omicron Drone Base core.

I recorded all 6 hours, nothing is cut out, and it's uploading now, the series should be done tonight. It's broken into 19 parts of about 20 minutes each. There's a playlist if you want to watch the whole thing in sequence. :)

You can get your time during the game by opening the console with the ~ key and typing "time" and it will tell you in seconds. Do this as soon as you destroy the drone base and it gives you the congratulations message.
    (You can convert the time to hours minutes seconds here https://www.tools4noobs.com/online_tools/seconds_to_hh_mm_ss/)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  2. DuLux

DuLux Captain

I just accidentally stumbled upon your CTF challenge by looking for empyrion videos. Yours is one of the latest.

I may attempt this challenge tomorrow.

Fun to watch so far!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  3. Bigfeet

Bigfeet Captain

lol, wich is it now, masperon drone base or omicron's :D

4. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

It's both.

You have to destroy Omicron's drone base before you are allowed to leave the Omicron playfield.

Then you have to destroy Masperon's drone base.

-----

The idea is to beat Omicron without going out and mining a bunch of Neodymium, Sathium, Erestrum, and Zascosium to build high-end equipment. Especially Sathium. Otherwise everyone will just skip directly to endgame, put all efforts/resources into a CV to leave Omicron while avoiding all engagement, finish in 10 minutes, and miss much of the mid-game gameplay.

The idea of Masperon's fortress is that it's the least easy POI in the game.

My suspicion is that another side-effect of this challenge will be to reveal many exploits and quasi-cheats that might need countermeasures to make the game more fun.

5. Dilli

Dilli Lieutenant

Started on this today. Got to level 5 and made my starter SV, mined a lot, took down some POIs for quick levelling.

Soon hit level 10, build a mining HV from the workshop (One of lifts just to play safe :D ), mined a ****-ton of minerals. Have everything now for the CV blueprint with the exception of the sathium.

Replaced the gatlings on the SV with rocket launchers, blew the crap outta the omicron drone base, (using same system as lift did, but deliberately dropped down the gap on the side of the base and blews corners up until I found the core), stopped off to grab the epic projectile pistol from the loot crate.

Time taken so far, just over 10500 seconds, or 2h55m.

I should be able to grab the sathium pretty quickly, and get the BP underway for the SV whilst gathering some pentaxid, then it's off to blow the snot outta the P1

I'd expect this to be done inside 4h30, will update tomorrow.

LiftPizzas likes this.
  6. DuLux

DuLux Captain

Right after spawn I saw some POIs but... upon arriving at the POI a troop transport showed up.

Started over.

Then I used all my damn bullets on 4 drone battles... far more drones that I saw in your first 10 minutes. Should have looted the boxes in the middle FIRST.

I'm not sure why I'm receiving all these drones and troop transport. I tried staying away from the base that is nearby.

Oh you're on 5.1
    [​IMG]

I won't be able to participate in this exact CTF unless I can work out my blueprint issue I have when using experimental.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  7. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Awesome! I knew my first attempt time would be blown away pretty easily. I expect to be able to do it in 4 hours or less next time. I am guessing that eventually 2 hours could be a reasonable goal if you play everything right.

And yeah that drone base on Omicron is way too easy now that I know that tactic. It'll never take more than a couple minutes. But you do have to at least get a vehicle to be able to approach it... I think. (Maybe a motorcycle suicide run would work? LOL)

That works too. As the game is updated all the time, people will be doing it on different versions. Mayeb some versions will allow a new tactic that's faster, others will nerf some easy tactic and screw everyone's times. There will be some build that was the best for this speedrun and we'll be looking back like, "remember build 862 when you could do it in 20 minutes? Yeah I 'member, those were the good old days."

Phoneus likes this.
  8. DuLux

DuLux Captain

I can tell you that for whatever reason-in version 5.0-the Troop transports are triggered when you get to the Excavation Site and there are at least 3 times more Drones. Also, no snipers or Pulse rifles for me in this version.
    Tricky with a pistol and limited magnesium.

btw where can I get your BareMinimum BPs

9. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Heh that sucks bigtime! LOL

I will see if I can publish the bare min BPs on the workshop today. I'll leave a note here when they're up. :)

10. Russell

Russell Commander

Yep. I had the same experience on Masperon. Easy stroll onto most POIs with occasional drone. At the dig, wave after wave of drones and TTs. Even repeated drone attacks after replacing the core. I guess on Lift's challenge it might be best to go for the other POI that showed up early.

I really enjoyed the challenge series @LiftPizzas - one of the best I've seen. Thanks.

11. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Ok they're posted on my workshop. Basically two versions of each. One absolute minimum to function, one still cheap but more reasonable functionality. (I suppose I should do the cheap constructor base with walls too.)

I named them all "speedrun _____" so that they'd appear together in the blueprint list. :)

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198220196789/myworkshopfiles?appid=383120

Phoneus and DuLux like this.
  12. Dilli

Dilli Lieutenant

LiftPizzas likes this.
  13. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Cool! Thanks for posting results! :)

(BTW that SV, in the description says unlocks at level 5, but in game says level 10 required.)

14. Dilli

Dilli Lieutenant

Very odd, I've just checked the blueprint list in game and it says level 5 for me, and I definately spawned it in at level 5 and flew around with it.

20170118042514_1.jpg

15. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Ah, I see, they fixed that in build 804. "Fixed: SV Thruster M does not count towards blueprint tech level"

(The lowest SV thrusters are level 7, so as of 5.1 you won't be able to build any functioning SV until level 7.)

16. DuLux

DuLux Captain

I gave up and took the opportunity to learn more about how to play the game LOL.

I learned a hell of a lot from watching your CTF!!

17. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

If you want to see more attempts, Haladmer did his in a couple of livestreams.

18. kingbillyIII

kingbillyIII Ensign

After numerous attempts and strategies I finally put up a good run (competitive) I think. I posted a few screenshots of my progress with the time. All in all I really enjoyed this challenge my time finished at 3 hours 11 mins.

20170121012701_1.jpg 20170121013617_1.jpg 20170121235429_1.jpg

LiftPizzas likes this.
  19. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Ok I made attempt #2, with all the pre-planning in an attempt to minimize my time. As Professor Harold Hill would say, "oh this is a refined operation, son, and I've got it timed down to the last wave of the brakeman's hand on the last train out of town!"

Final Official Time:
    2:14:38

Here's the javascript I wrote to create the timer. It only displays the time, so that you can use it as an overlay. Note the font I use is (http://www.dafont.com/digital-dismay.font) and is donation-ware. If you don't have this font it will use a default instead so the timer will still work, it just won't look as cool. ;)

Also, press Enter to start, and Space to pause/unpause. Edit the timerOffset in the file to start at something other than zero seconds. Pausing for long periods will lose accuracy.
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <head>
    <style>
    @font-face {
        font-family: myFirstFont;
        src: url(digitaldismay.otf);
    }

div {
        font-family: myFirstFont;
        font-size: 48px;
        color: #00ffff;
        background-color: #000000;
    }
    body{background-color: #000000;}
    </style>
    <script>
    var paused = false;
    var startTime= new Date("0");
    var zero = new Date("0");
    // allow setting of an initial time so we can start our timer with say 1 hour already on the clock
    timerOffset = 0; //enter number of seconds to add to starting time
    startTime.setSeconds (startTime.getSeconds() + (timerOffset*1000));
    function secondTick() {
        if (paused) {
            timerOffset--;
        }else{   
            //find time elapsed by taking current time - start time
            zero = new Date().getTime() + (timerOffset * 1000);
            zero -= startTime;
            zero = Math.floor(zero/1000); //from milliseconds to seconds
            var s = zero % 60; //seconds
            var m = Math.floor(zero/60) % 60; //minutes
            var h = Math.floor (zero/3600) % 24; //hours
            m = checkTime(m);
            s = checkTime(s);
            document.getElementById('txt').innerHTML =
            h + ":" + m + ":" + s;
        }
        var t = setTimeout(secondTick, 1000);
    }
    function checkTime(i) {
        if (i < 10) {i = "0" + i};  // add zero in front of numbers < 10
        return i;
    }

function keydown(e){
        e= window.event || e;
        e= e.charCode || e.keyCode;
        if (e==32) paused = !paused;
    }

window.addEventListener('keydown', keydown, false);
    </script>
    </head>

<body onkeydown="if (event.keyCode==13) {startTime = new Date().getTime(); secondTick();}">

<div id="txt">0:00:00</div>

</body>
    </html>

gekl00 likes this.
  20. Dilli

Dilli Lieutenant

Well, I've started another run, I'm about 1h35 in, and I'm a little ahead of you at this point. I have the omicron base down, and have built the CV without leaving the planet yet. I just need to shoot up to the moon and grab some pentaxid, and I'll be ready to head over to masperon.

I'm actually recording this attempt, uploading the videos today while I'm at work, and hopefully I'll finish the run tonight. I'll post the videos up here when it's complete, just bear with me as it's pure gameplay footage, and no commentary.

LiftPizzas likes this.