What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. En_Ma

En_Ma Commander

Sifting through images is quite a difficult process, I seriously doubt Eleon has the manpower to undertake it. And it's not something you can crowdsource because you need accountability.

For client-side images or textures... please no. We all know that the moment they allow client side textures we'll see starship covered in giant dicks.

--

But not to derail too much: today I had real trouble mirroring both side of my ship, and even worse ones counting blocks to get the right angle to the slopes.

However I did some interior decoration, and I managed to get something nice. The pink was to know what I was doing while adding/subtracting stuff, but I think I'll keep it.

I even came up with a name :) here's the first stages of the HappyFun Mobile.

001.jpg

The scaffolding was an afterthought to spruce up the hangar a bit more, but I'm liking that as well.

Left the greenhouse, now with added balconies, then engineering and medical under it. Both the greenhouse and medical have exposed ventilators, so they can do double duty pressurizing the hangar.
    Engineering has a non-airtight door, since it's already plenty radioactive and hot in there, you should wear EVA or shut down the section anyway if doing maintenance :)

Starwing6, rucky, rainyday and 2 others like this.
  2. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

Why bother with textures when they can just build a giant dick? Or worse?
    -Someone thought it would be hilarious to upload a goatse-CV. You can guess where the hangar was. But don't bother looking for it, it's long since been removed (thank goodness).
    Just saying, texture modding wouldn't make anything better or worse.

Also I'm still waiting to hear what it was your friend actually said, because I have no idea what sort of 'challenge' you're responding to with this base... ship... thing?

Starwing6 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  3. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Anubis was a decent success, but I want to see if I can do the same thing with level 7 and an even smaller resource count while also having obvious upgrade paths...

First attempt:

NewGame_31_2017-08-15_18-34-02.jpg

First attempt.... waaaaaaay too much wasted space and higher resource counts than I wanted. Still, learned a lot.

4. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

Meanwhile over in "ALL THE THINGS" land my space station is up to size class 137. 1.1+ million iron ingots and counting.

5. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

While you know I am an eternal fan of the 1x2 slopes and angles, they chew up far too much area and iron to be efficient for low-resource builds.

Tyrax Lightning and Fractalite like this.
  6. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Uh god, not even gonna finish attempt 2...

NewGame_31_2017-08-15_18-57-01.jpg

Yeah, figuring that out real quick.

How the heck to do this WITH a hangar...? Tricky, very tricky. Almost have to place every single block solo.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  7. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Attempt three might look a little goofy, but lesson learned. Part of my limitation was insisting that the cockpit had to be placed in front of everything...

NewGame_31_2017-08-15_19-19-27.jpg

Starwing6, Tyrax Lightning and En_Ma like this.
  8. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

The challenge I have set for myself in Empyrion today is to build a CV that is <3000 iron ingots(ideally <2000), is level 7, only utilizes 1 small CV thruster in every direction, has a "reasonable sized" hangar, a place for a warp drive/warp fuel tank, obvious directions of expansion, and does not look like a mass of blocks or a generic box - i.e., function AND form. Is proving to be very challenging.

Ranger, Starwing6, rainyday and 2 others like this.
  9. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

When I get home from work, I may just take you up on that challenge...

10. N99024

N99024 Captain

I remember when I was working on this, for some reason I've been drawn back to working on it with this recent update.
    20170815165149_1.jpg
    Edit: turns out I can't work on all of it anymore

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  11. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

Working on my space station and I got distracted testing a bug with the new paint/texture symmetry tool.

It's not quite there yet but this is going to be so badass when they get it working right.

Starwing6 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  12. Darkscis

Darkscis Captain

Well I have only done one big build so far and I just went gung-ho on the outside using normal blocks with absolutely 0 thought and consideration for the inside. That was a learning experience obviously. I tend to get a concept shape/idea of a part or a few parts... build that and then go from there.

My new method seems to be working nicely for me at least, build the concept part I liked and then finish the rest of the ship section by section - ie fully working in the interior compartments and passageways as I go. This means I only need to do the outside once and I can adjust and beef up areas where required. I will probably find a flaw with this method down the line but hey, it's still a learning experience! My fear is that because I am building the exterior based on my finished interior compartments, the exterior will be bloated/out of shape/hard to get looking right. It's a catch 22 really.

My other problem is, I know exactly what HV and SV's I want parked in my hangars, but I haven't built them yet either....so I have to guess at the hangar sizes. If I get those wrong ...

rainyday and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  13. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

AND THEY SAID IT COULD NOT BE DONE!!!

NewGame_31_2017-08-15_21-49-05.jpg

NewGame_31_2017-08-15_21-49-15.jpg

NewGame_31_2017-08-15_21-49-30.jpg

NewGame_31_2017-08-15_21-53-00.jpg

Oops! Missed a spot of paint.... and it is very bare-bones. Still, I am very happy with this. Even has decorative frills and such. Will assemble some picks and such and then toss it on the workshop. Link coming in a bit.

14. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

Nice! Only critique I'd offer is to move your ventilator somewhere a bit less conspicuous, since its position looks like it would hinder HV/SV parking.

Fractalite and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  15. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

This is why we need to add Character animation where you can sit in chairs. I would have my character sitting on the deck with a shot gun. lol Then jump in my HV pick up truck and go alien hunting. l;)

16. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Good point, I think so too but I would love to hear what he devs have to say about all of this. I'm sure the questions been asked but I've never read a response on it.

17. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Umm... Drones... you've been playing too much Paper Mario 1... the Koopa Bros. are NOT good Role Models for how to go about trying to defeat us Players... :p

Idea: One could conceivably use a rear-placed Cockpit 2 (in all its absurdness) for Piloting a CV & 'pretend' that ya can fly the CV with Alt View engaged & technically be Piloting by Monitor Info so no need for Glass using Cockpits. I do this for Internal hidden 'Battle Bridges' that are for backup ability to Pilot my CVs in case my Primary Cockpit that uses Glass & Cockpit 1 that I do my primary CV Flying & Dogfighting with gets defeated in battle. Also have a Med Bay in each 'Battle Bridge' so I can Respawn right into them. :D

IMHO there is only any real point to a Glass Cockpit for CV Flying if one is using the CV Manual Fire Weapons & needs to be able to Dogfight... otherwise one could just used a Internally Buried Cockpit 2 only for flying a CV around.

No way in hell I can eyeball what Internal Space i'll need for stuff... so I build Inside to Outside.

Agreed. Maybe the Ventilator could be moved to sit on top of the Core?

I would keep a Shotgun JUST for holding while sitting in a Chair! :D

rucky, banksman45 and Fractalite like this.
  18. Suzuka Sakurai

Suzuka Sakurai Lieutenant

I been working on a house on creative & a prototype CV & SV I'll post pictures soon ^w^

19. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Welcome to the forums!

Yeah - I assume you mean the thruster, and I moved that little bastard around excessively. No good place for it. The design calls for 4 placed in the corners of the room, so I am hoping that will not be too much a hindrance for people.... I am a pretty good pilot, but others are more, cavalier. :) Sound critique.

Haha, true - but only for ships with PVP in mind. This is DEFINITLY not a pvp ship... unless you have a deathwish.

For those wanting to try it(highly recommended as a starter)

STEAM LINK:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1112017070

20. Its Just Steve

Its Just Steve Captain

@Fractalite that's a sound looking thing you've done!

@Tyrax Lightning I've been compiling thoughts and ideas for my next CV attempt and having the cockpit on top nearer the back like a warship should fit in with the rest that have stuck in my brain.

@rucky Bad news that your manic miner or drone hunter mark III have not completed the journey with me to my mountaintop base on Venus in my Exploration of Sol scenario run. I have the Explorer queued up now though with higher hopes. It's been fun blindly spawning in your designs on the run. Like buying a car with no research.
    The miner was taken out twice by the PV in my efforts to get away and got stuck in one if the many forests.
    The drone hunter though was fierce to fly but proved too much in some respects and once targets were subdued it was traded for something more utilitarian for the cleanup. I may purchase the mark V for the first journey to a neighboring gallery however. It looks, special.

rucky likes this.