What is the LEAST FUN single-task action in the game right now?

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Diamaht

Diamaht Lieutenant

This for sure is one. Perhaps make items you can pick up go to an open hot-bar slot first, instead of inventory (Same goes for work lights)

2. Throttle Kitty

Throttle Kitty Lieutenant

I would LOVE for my bike to go to an open hot bar slot! Anything I click +shift to pick up should go to my hotbar actually!
    Including things I can normally pickup without +shift! Holy crap would that be a handy feature!

Also, if I couldn't pick up the bike at all... I don't think I'd ever, ever use that hunk o' junk! |>.>

3. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

I've always assumed that picking up the bike was just a hacky fix for a few tricky situations, like it getting stuck in the terrain for instance.

4. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Also useful for carrying the damn thing while swimming through an Ocean ya'd NEVER be able to drive the damn thing straight through. :p

Gromit and oojimaflip like this.
  5. Gromit

Gromit Captain

Or even sideways as my bikes have a tendency to want to always do.

The bike definitely needs some love.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  6. Tyrax Lightning

& some REAL Horsepower Engine Boost, & some Tires that are not totally bald smooth. :/

Gromit, itdocman and blooddragon606 like this.
  7. blooddragon606

blooddragon606 Captain

Most hated task: mining with the T1 drill.
    2nd most hated task: mining with the T2 drill.
    3rd most hated task: The dirtbike

I really, really miss the yellow-striped F&F tool mainly because I would use it to create pathways and walkways in and around a deposit, particularly a large one. I realize the T2 drill can do F&F, but for some reason the devs have seen fit to ignore the ore that it extracts when creating a level surface.

I take pride in making mines look planned and pretty and accessible. I do not like mindlessly digging jagged holes in the ground, and I don't like wasting good ore.

Having read other gripes about the dirtbike, I have nothing to add.

8. Nomadical

Nomadical Ensign

Least Fun: Landscaping. F/F is terrible. :(
    The aoe is too large and it goes to 'block' levels rather than 'leveling the terrain'.
    Want to flatten the terrain back around the poi core? Tough.
    Second Least Fun: Survival. There is none. Food doesn't really matter once you put down a couple crop plots. Oxygen is just an annoyance and once pressurized bases are a thing, it won't matter.
    Different foods with different effects would bring some purpose to it.
    Hydration - Why isn't this a thing?
    Temperature - Why isn't this a thing?

Looking forward to POI Reclamation and AI attacks with 'built' ships. REALLY looking forward to it.

Third because I'm already typing? : HV Drills are just... Is it possible to mine with an HV without it being a fat kid flopping around a pudding factory and leaving a nasty scar on the surface?

9. crimsonsplat

crimsonsplat Ensign

#1 The bike. Picking up the bike. Finding the bike in my inventory. Driving the bike. Steering the bike. Stopping the bike. Sliding for hundreds of yards in the bike. Picking up the bike off the rock it got stuck on. Swimming to retrieve the bike at the bottom of a lake. Not having a first gear on the bike for hills. Sound pitch and volume not matching speed for the bike. Backing up to get the bike out of a tree, stone, or other blockage.

#2 Structure item menu is HELL. The invisible back button (that I never knew about). The difficulty in finding a specific light in a long list. No summary of how full/empty fuel tanks, cargo boxes, harvest boxes, oxygen tanks, etc. are. No option to keep custom groups while auto-assigning newly placed (or replaced) items.

#3 Painting and texturing large structures. Inability to make some sides match (can't rotate a texture without rotating the block). Can't change symbol colors.

#4. It's H_2_O, not HO_2_!!! Or HO_10 is more like it...

#5 Food decay is too fast, and hunger grows too soon. (Careful balancing needed to keep food from being trivial, or maybe add bonuses).
    #6 Getting out of the cockpit in my CV, and being thrown off the ship. What, did the Constructor lead a mutiny?

#7 Finding that elusive "Cargo ship with valuable loot" when it doesn't show up on radar.
    #7a Chasing that odd double chevron (not the TS station!) down on the new system map thinking it's the Cargo ship, but nothing's there.

#8 All these alien structures look amazingly like Human-built ones. (Ok, not an activity).

#9 Placing waypoints without hacking a file. (i.e.: Finding my way back to a point in a playfield).

#10 Single-player: once you reach sufficiency in all resources, there's no progression (i.e.: start adding NPC factions and game story/questing).
    #10a Multi-player -- same thing (and I realize these are two different challenges). Ok, not an activity either, but none of my friends want to play anymore because there's nothing to do BUT build. While I agree that balancing the resource challenges is critical, story progression is going to affect them, so it's duplicate work.

Edit: #11: Flattening mode sucks. It's more of a "excavate holes" mode, even if you sweep it quickly across an area repeatedly. Also, could we get a "landscaping mode" to restore grass, if not trees?

#12 Require water in concrete again. The huge increase in hit points makes it unbalanced compared to wood, and currently there's no reason to bother with wood at all other than aesthetics. And you don't need much water at all either, now.

#13 This belongs well above, maybe #3 or so -- replacing missing blocks with (T2?) Repair Bay, and allowing multiple bays per base/CV. Maybe with geometric power curve? 2x bays = 4x power need, etc.? Plenty of other good ideas

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  10. Sky

Sky Ensign

Mining is now just tedious since being nerfed. It just isn't fun spending countless minutes (and hours for a CV) mining away in an ore for little relative return.

11. 53cr3t1v3

53cr3t1v3 Ensign

Agreed on the early mining. If we could start with 1 good Automining device, for iron if nothing else, so we can focus on collecting other less used ores that would be enough for me. It's just so time consuming early on to try and get everything.

Although some people may enjoy that part of it...

12. Ballard

Ballard Rear Admiral

My motorcycle got shot out from under me during an incautiously close ride past Epsilon fortress. I never replaced it. Early game I'd rather collect food, later game I have my HV. I'm pretty much done using the bike, it just annoys me.

I would SO love to be able to repair the damage that the horrible flattening tool did around my bases. I'd love to plant grass again, sighs.

13. medicineman

medicineman Captain

Navigation.

14. GoldDragon

GoldDragon Captain

I thought so, too. Then got infected in the Drone Base. In a hovertank with only 3 hover engines. That sank like a stone in a lake.

And no antidote for Parasite Infection. I made it back to base alive ONLY because of the bike.

15. Tyrax Lightning

Hover Tanks need more then 3 Hover Engines dude. Ya wouldn't ask a RL Tank to stroll along the ground on Car Tires would ya? ;)

medicineman likes this.
  16. GoldDragon

GoldDragon Captain

It would depend on the configuration of tires, number of tires, size of tank, etc.....

17. Sacksquatch

Sacksquatch Captain

One thing that chaps my ass is how it takes longer to eat from inventory right-click than to eat from hotbar.

For example: Say you have 3 salami on the hotbar. It would take like 3 seconds to eat all 3 from the hotbar, but like 9 seconds to eat the same 3 salami from right clicking in inventory.

This is a feature that I don't even use, because I'd rather take the time to throw it on the hotbar than deal with the long ass delay between right clicks.

Zedd, oojimaflip and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  18. Bezerker

Bezerker Ensign

Since its about going into a single action i would have to say hydrogen farming. To start with the placement vector of the generator is weird so its really difficult to build some sort of base around it.
    And as second point the balance of oxygen vs hydrogen just feels so off its not even funny. For every 5 crafts of fuel you got 50 oxygen bottles so after filling up a few fuel tanks with the fuel you have enough oxygen to last till the end of days.
    I know that in real life hydrogen molecules are very small compared to oxygen but they also contain the most energy so why you would need 10 bottles of compressed H for a single craft of fuel is a riddle to me even in terms of real life comparison.

This indirectly also hurts a key part of the game imo. At the moment the only reason to have a base is..... uhm scrap that hydrogen generators dont even need a base to place them.
    In a game with an abundance of resources you end up dropping 15+ hydrogen generators just so you can make fuel and end up chucking away nearly all the oxygen because its a waste of space.
    In a game with low resources you dont build a real base but just a few blocks with a turret and go to a CV strait away and still have to decide if you even have enough prometium pellets to power the hydrogen generators or just stick with large packs instead.

Fix?
    -Dumb it down a little and use the H2O formula making 2x H to 1x O bottle to ease the farming pain.
    -Make the generator a base item so it has the right orientation for some nice building layouts and give a base a function other then drone magnet.

19. itdocman

itdocman Lieutenant

I agree that hydrogen bottles are a pain to farm, though I still maintain that much of the problem would be solved if O2 bottles would stack to 999 like all the other resources... Somehow we're able to stack hydrogen bottles to 999 but not oxygen bottles? Anyway, sorry, this isn't what this thread is about...

20. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Lieutenant

Ypu'll be pleased to know that in 5.5 update (currently on experimental) that there is a hydrogen only generator!