Feedback Required A critical examination of the tutorial by new player.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ephoie, Aug 14, 2020.

1. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

I disagree here. The duration before a backpack evaporates is quite clearly marked on the backpack. Call it "time before local wildlife runs off your stuff", or whatever makes sense to you, but I don't have an objection to this. Reading just plain helps.

Now, as for motorcycles, I do agree. Having them fold themselves back up into kits is kind of silly. Your HV's, SV's and CV's don't compress themselves into handy storage cubes when left unattended.

I agree here, and it's one of the reasons we're not a final release candidate version yet.

You seem to have mistaken the PDA for a Star Trek Comm Badge. The PDA should store data, that's it's function. The teleporter is a device that doesn't have that Star Trek "beam me up" from anywhere functionality. The PDA should not create this. It should, however, store more detailed records of mission interactions.

Ahh the Portable Constructor... I'd love to know how many k of forum data this thing has generated. Some people love 'em, some people hate 'em, and more than a few people abuse them. I've never tested its holding capacity, but I have seen a few people who build fields of these things, and I've heard the rage of folks who can't accept that they don't require fuel to operate. I don't have an issue with them, and seldom build more than 1 per base, if that. This is a whole different topic for a different thread.

Agreed on the motorbike. I've cb:reset more than once over evaporated backpacks. However... we do have difficulty settings that can be set that impact what happens with backpacks, and again, this is just a matter of reading and comprehending to know.

Ephoie likes this.
  2. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Because that alarm sound it makes isn't obvious?

3. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Based on how many times I've watched streamers completely miss it? Hah. :D

4. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

I don't watch streamers. If I'm going to see the game being played, it's going to be because I'm playing it.

That said, I have seen recordings of a few, and most of the the ones I've seen, the player/streamer is just shy of pathetic at the game they're showcasing.

5. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

In the referred posting, I was requesting that the Dev consider adding a function into the game backend, mainly where PDA's are programmed and set up; a function to teleport players be added. A storyline could be made where a player could be teleported to a specific playfield or location upon activation or completion of a task in the PDA... this is more directed at the creation of Missions, and storytelling, for the creators, more than its a direct function for players to just "Star Trek" themselves about at whim...

6. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

Then make that a thing...

If the zirax see a bag, they shoot it, or grab it.... then you got to find the guard with your stuff! Fun~

If another player finds a backpack, lucky them....

Backpacks and bikes shouldn't just go *poof*

Ambaire likes this.
  7. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Funny thing though - the Transporters of Star Trek could be used so much more effectively, if only ship captains thought about it. Consider:

Security Officer: "Captain, we've got hostile forces in Corridor 21-Alpha!"
    Captain: "Transporter room, lock on the them and beam them into the brig, or out into space, I don't care, just get them off my ship!"

Tactical Officer: "Captain, the [insert enemy here] ship is not aware of us. Their shields are still down."
    Captain: "Transporter room, beam an armed and active photon torpedo directly into their bridge."

We already have both Teleporters and Portals that can be used to move a player along - and some storyline missions actually do make use of at least the teleporters. I don't recall seeing a portal used anywhere, though I have made use of them in some of my own scenarios, and unlike Teleporters, Portals do not have any range limitation I've ever found. Why not use what's already there, instead of re-inventing the wheel. It's not going to get any rounder.

8. GlitchedVision

GlitchedVision Ensign

one thing I would wish for is more information than the generic warning alarm that happens when you power off a BA/CV or a drone attack is incoming, multiple things trigger this same sound effect and as a player with limited vision, I have to use deductive reasoning to figure out which it is. having a voice line perhaps from a personal AI that reads out specific important information would go a long way to solving this. Also, for some things there are absolutely no sound cues, like base/cv running out of oxygen and being switched to suit reserves.

9. Jirik

Jirik Ensign

You should get the klaxon alarm and a popup saying base\cv is depressurized if you run out out O2 at least i do.

But yea at the very least different alarms for different things would be nice, preferably a device that could be configured i/e: Klaxon for base attack, A voice warning for low power and a horror scream for "pizzas done".

10. GlitchedVision

GlitchedVision Ensign

with my level of vision, it is difficult to see these messages when they appear as they are in an inconvenient part of the screen. Common practice has most important static information around the corners of the screen, which is good under normal conditions. When you have limited vision though, it can become a strain. I use a 42 inch TV as a monitor and my lack of vision means I pretty much have to leave noseprints on the screen to read smaller text without zooming in. This makes either an adjustable hud or more robust auditory cues an absolute must for me to be 100% accurate in my situational awareness without second guessing anything. Unfortunately the game possesses neither of these vital features. It doesn't stop me from adapting though and I'm usually pretty quick to figure out the meaning of the latest generalized alarm, though this is only because I know the mechanics quite well and can sort of predict certain times I may hear it when performing certain actions. This eliminates most guessing and means I will only randomly hear it during a drone attack or when I let fuel/o2 run out, and the second 2 are just a quick P press away to check/resolve. It would be nice though to be able to cue up customizable alerts to inform you of various other things, like when a long crafting job you've cued up is ready to be put to use.