[A10.6] HV to SV Docking

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Oct 28, 2019.

?

Did you understand the explanations and how the HV-SV docking works?

1. Got it!

96.4%
  2. Not really. (Please add a comment what you do not understand)

3.6%
  1. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

@TGRF_Trainer , example was being able to hoist HVs into space to dock w a CV.
    My guess is for SP most likely usecase would be taking an HV to the Moon for materials before you have a CV.
    Though to be honest personally I don't see it being a regular thing for me, for the reasons you mentioned.

But other than RP elements as @[RCF]Grodark mentioned I think it's biggest 'use' will be in custom Scenarios.
    Scenario authors can control available resources so could see a setup where it will be impossible to build a CV without one or more Warps.

Main thing though, imo, is that, hopefully, this will lead to even more who to who docking options; nirvana being Any-to-Any. :)

2. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

This sounds a bit like the mid-1960's ...

Germanicus and StyleBBQ like this.
  3. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

My sense of the situation is that we (customers) asked for it. Folks have wanted to deploy SV dropships to the planet's surface. I think they've wanted to use SVs for that role because you've not been able to dock a "Mobile Base" CV to a "Dropship" CV, until I guess this week.

I gather some players want to leave CVs in orbit and go after planets with HVs and SVs. I've been foggy about how that would work for reasons you cited, in particular that I tend to need a CV to haul around dismantled POIs.

StyleBBQ and stanley bourdon like this.
  4. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

My memory is a bit foggy, but I think there was a brief period where CVs could not land on planets?

And since HVs can't fly... the whole SV as a tow-truck became a 'thing'.
    To your second point @zztong , this started way before Mass & Volume came in. And since M&V are still default Off o_O pure default options players only have to worry about combined ship masses, not cargo mass... (poor buggers are missing out on all the fun :D )