INFO & FEEDBACK [A11] New Flight Mechanic and Techniques

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Oct 27, 2019.

?

Did you understand the explanations and how the new Flight Mechanics and Techniques work?

1. Got it!

55 vote(s)
    74.3%
  2. Not really. (Please comment on WHAT exactly you did not understand!)

19 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

I'm wondering if my early CV brick I use to work in the starter planet. With w&v will even work now. I don't spawn this thing in. I build it from scratch collecting the thrusters from the broken ships scattered around the place. Some I grab for just parts to build the higher end stuff that needs the mats I can't get on the starter planet.
    I find this works well for me right now. That's why I asked if we needed to start a new game. I wanted to test these things before I committed myself to starting a new game. As we don't have to start a new game and it will only be the trading station in space I will miss out on. I can at least test the ideas I have been making for 10.6. I've been working on bare bone stuff only. A luxury item for me on my cv brick is a medic station. :)

2. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

They have been very specific that the experimental branch, this time more than before, will be used to test the features. I can only suggest you make a blueprint of your stuff if you want to use it in the experimental version, and don't hesitate to use cheats to level up and test the different tiers for CPU, for exemple, or to spawn devices for building.

And for the sake of eliminating false-positives on bugs, I would also recommend starting a new game.

You can also copy your actual folder somewhere out of Steam to prevent your game from being updated, if you really want to continue on your old savegame. Just start the exe from there, and make sure Steam is started for authentication prior to this.

3. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

Thank you for the advice. The games I have started are only test games on the exp version already. I'm just waiting for the update.

As to having to start a new game I already asked the question and @Hummel-o-War had answered as per this thread https://empyriononline.com/threads/does-10-6-need-a-new-game.90879/

The designs I want to keep have already been saved. Once I've done my test on my designs I will then start a new game and test other things as were all being asked to do. :)

Kassonnade likes this.
  4. <Darth Sidious>

<Darth Sidious> Lieutenant

in order to avoid getting stuck inside the structures when moving at high speed, I would suggest to transfer the data first to the collision boxes (the dimensions of the structure) first, and then replace them with detailed ones after loading the structure.

5. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

It's encouraging to see parity between SV and CV technical max speeds; it'd be nice if HVs also could reach 70 m/s on planets.

How is the drag coefficient calculated? Is it a local block-by-block calculation (which will inevitably result in spiky bricks), or does it instead consider the overall dimensions and aspect ratio of the ship?

6. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

I think I understand, but maybe I don't. I would have marked "not sure." I think it will become clear when I get a chance to play with it.

Right now, it sounds like a pizza box oriented to be parallel to the ground without dumping the pizza flies forward and to the side pretty fast, but will be slow to lift off, assuming equal thrusters on all sides.

If I cut the pizza box so that it looks like a triangle from above with the point forward, will its forward top speed be faster?

How would a "rain drop" design perform? (Rounded big front with a long tail.) Aren't rain drops supposed to be pretty aerodynamic as they fall?

EDIT: I guess I mean a "tear drop" shape. Raindrops, apparently, can get complicated.

Kassonnade likes this.
  7. SkulkLife

SkulkLife Lieutenant

I'm afraid that changes reduce the freedom of building. This way players can't fly well with alien ships or other type of ships. :( We will see a lot of similiar ships, not unique builds.

Can we add extra RCS to the vessel?

8. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Yes you can

SkulkLife likes this.
  9. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Not as well as a dart. A tear drop shape arises from a balance between the surface tension of the liquid in the drop and the pressure of the surrounding atmosphere that it's passing through. The optimal shape for an object passing through a fluid is generally long and very thin, with a continuous taper down to a point at the leading edge. The exact details of the optimal shape depend greatly on the cohesion of the fluid to itself and the adhesion of the fluid to the object.

zztong likes this.
  10. cGeternal

cGeternal Ensign

Sorry if this has been asked.
    How will all these factors work as a ship goes through changes (combat for example)? Would it lose drag as blocks are blown off or gain as the front end is flattened out in a glorious explosion?
    Will we be able to place thrusters at angles in order to maximize the new thrust mechanic?

11. Bigfeet

Bigfeet Captain

We'll see, said the blind man , and flew in to a tree.

xelthor, Supay and Kassonnade like this.
  12. Coreador

Coreador Commander

As excited as I am for all this aerodynamic stuff, what is the big deal about flying a single back facing engine SV? I've been doing it for a few versions already. Granted, it isn't pretty; it bounces on the ground a lot and is hard to fly since you need to point it at a forward up angle and kinda judge the thrust angle to stay aloft. And landing is pretty much a crash. But it works well as an early scout that can move at full SV speed, and it's very cheap.

Just don't take it into space... it isn't so much fun there... although I have successfully "landed" at the Polaris space station a few times.

Looking forward to making one that actually has aerodynmic-ish lift, though. And I have wanted that HUD forever...

Do different planets have different drag/lift behaviors (i.e. to account for different atmospheres)? It would also be interesting from a ship design perspective if drag/lift dropped off with altitude, although I get it if this is too complicated for the simple model desired for this game.

On Torque: Engines can now generate torque if they are off from center of mass (makes sense), but does this mean we also now require balanced engines (like we need balanced hover engines) or the ship is going to spin out of control? Or have I just played too much KSP?

Oh, right, it is next week now. Do we have a release date?

13. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I have a question, does this mean that we are going to need to place thrusters in a more realistic pattern?

This is the underside of one of my older CV's, in real life it would not fly because of the thruster placement.
    It would just flip itself over and slam into the ground.

Just asking so I can get started on reworking the thrusters on my older builds.

20191028195014_1.jpg

xelthor and Siege Inc. like this.
  14. Coreador

Coreador Commander

That is exactly the question I mean about balanced thrust... with much prettier illustrations.

15. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
  16. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Nutshell, my ship did not flip and flew normally.

17. Coreador

Coreador Commander

Question: Did 10.6 fix the behavior that only down thrusters work to counteract gravity? I.e. if you ship was sideways the sideways thrusters would not automatically fire to keep you from falling to the ground? It seems now like I can hover a ship that has 6-way thrust in any orientation without player input.

And on further testing, I can even get out of the pilot's chair and go outside and the ship continues to hang there upside down. Cool!

One caveat: When exiting the chair I clipped through the floor (facing up) and was standing on the outside of the bottom of my ship (instead of being inside and falling to the ceiling). Seems like you get out of the chair and spawn "up" from the chair.

18. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

Ran into the Max Speed limit face first. This very simple HV can only go 9.8 m/s. That's much too punishing to me.
    Thinking about it for a few hours my vote would be that the -lowest- Max Speed for anything should be 60% of the Tech Top Speed.

[​IMG]

The HV has four starter green hover combo engines, 6 m/s^2 acceleration , mass is 3.50 ton, 1.00 gee planet
    Taking off the top Ore/Wood Controller block changed Max Speed to 9.9 m/s. Removing the harvester saw Max at 10.1 m/s.

Bigger pic & stats page are in Flight Handling feedback thread (it's not really flyable due to wonky turning) here;
    https://empyriononline.com/threads/a10-6-experimental-feedback-flight-mechanic-s.90921/#post-370991

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Captain_Brian and krazzykid2006 like this.
  19. Coreador

Coreador Commander

Maybe they need to tweak the thrust values for those early combo engines to account for the new drag behavior. I agree that your ship is small and should be able to move better than that. I haven't had a lot of trouble with ridiculously low speeds with HVs or SVs, but I never used those basic HV thrusters.

20. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

I think the thrust from the starters are okay. In 10.5 I built a little race car using just the 4 and it was a complete blast to drive. It massed 2.73 tons and only had ~7 m/s^2 thrust but turned really well and could really soar off a hilltop.

Guessing they've tied max acceleration to max speed some way, and that's just not gonna work.

Did a little bit of testing with a very basic 'bike'. 4e starters. Front profile an upside down T, just three wide and three tall, four blocks long.
    Max speed was 13.3 m/s.
    It did turn quite a bit better using arrow keys; still totally wacked using mouse.