INFO & FEEDBACK [A11] New Flight Mechanic and Techniques

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Oct 27, 2019.

?

Did you understand the explanations and how the new Flight Mechanics and Techniques work?

1. Got it!

55 vote(s)
    74.3%
  2. Not really. (Please comment on WHAT exactly you did not understand!)

19 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

It almost sounds like you're trying to explain something.

2. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

It's funny.. I wonder what changed with the ELON becauase the DEVs added Wheels to the survey back in 2016 and now it seems like they're not only not open to it but are 100% against it without any reason given. I don't want to hear from the players who don't like it because they always voice their opinions on it but it would be nice if the Devs themselves would give their reasoning behind the change. It seems like the dev team now are totally different people from the ones we had in 2016.

Kassonnade likes this.
  3. Zaflis

Zaflis Commander

It's much more difficult to make fluent driving mechanics. The physics for suspension and all that is very tricky even with Unity's ready building blocks. Not even the motorbike is made perfectly yet, and i'd say they should start with that first when it comes to wheels. Where is handbreak turning, and have you ever seen the front wheel rise up from ground?

banksman45 likes this.
  4. TGRF_Trainer

TGRF_Trainer Commander

Wasn't there something in one of the live Q&As where they listed their primary reason as not having the capability to do tracks and the like? I seem to recall that.

5. TGRF_Trainer

TGRF_Trainer Commander

I have seen the front wheel lift off from the ground. It's difficult to do, but if I keep hitting the spacebar, it does happen. You can drive on the rear tire alone for a space if you hit it right. Have to agree with you on the turning though.

StyleBBQ likes this.
  6. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

More than that : hit an obstacle at high speed and sure the "front wheel" will lift, and the whole bike with it, and take you to orbit. ! o_O

As for driving mechanics, once again we were not asking for real or accurate physics. What @Vermillion mentions could do the trick just fine and simulate wheels. They just have to make them "mobile" so they turn when steering, the whole vehicle can just hover like already possible with HV but with a static height, and wheels "rotate" to fit with the ground, with a collider smaller than the visible "tire" to look like the wheel is biting in the ground/ dust/ sand.

But just looking at how the player avatar is "skating" over the ground shows that even simple things like this are not deemed worthy of "adjustments". How many times did we ask for 1st person cam on the bike or smaller turning radius ?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  7. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

This has been my point from the start I don't care about 100% accurate physics. If I cared about that I would be playing Space Engineers right now and not Empyrion. Not to mention that Planet Nomads which is a Space Survival building game like Empyrion is using the UNITY engine and has wheels. The wheels in that game aren't super realistic like Space Engineers but it's perfect for what most of us want. The only real differences between Planet Nomads and Empyrion is Empyrion has a Star system with multiple planets and Planet Nomads doesn't

Kassonnade likes this.
  8. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I have to go back and listen to that Q&A because I'm pretty sure I missed that part. I was more focused on the CPU information than anything else .

9. Softwalker001

Softwalker001 Commander

If I remember correctly they said they had no plans for wheel/tracks, and were considering replacing the motorbike with a hoverbike.

StyleBBQ likes this.
  10. Softwalker001

Softwalker001 Commander

Hmmmm
    That would be a solution to needing mass thrusters in the down direction.

Antigrav plates. Gives you lift so you can orient to exit Gravwell.

StyleBBQ likes this.
  11. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

@banksman45 , what @Softwalker001 said re no wheels/tracks, maybe go to a hoverbike. At least that's my recollection. I nodded off a few times though... :)

banksman45 and Softwalker001 like this.
  12. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Haha ok thank you both. After I heard the CPU part I pretty much stop listening to most of it even the part that was really good news. When he said a Rotor and piston system like Space Engineers is planned for Empyrion. Someone had not posted where he said that on the forums I would have missed it.

StyleBBQ likes this.
  13. Demonic

Demonic Captain

Not sure which forum I saw it exactly, but afaik Hummel said there WON'T be a rotor/piston system like the one from Space Engineers, instead they want to include more blocks/devices with moving parts - so those devices would maybe rotate / extend / detract.

If anyone knows where the specific statement is, could you link it please?

StyleBBQ likes this.
  14. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Wow so was this within the last two weeks?? It was said that Q&A that rotor piston system was planned but I understand it was a little bit of a language barrier there. So he could have misunderstood the question. Ok so no rotor and piston system where you can design your own moving parts? Just these animated blocks like the Hangar doors?? Wow okk.... Everytime when I start feeling like I've been too harsh on the changes in Empyrion lately I get another reminder that I haven't. haha oh well

15. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

Found it;

16. Demonic

Demonic Captain

Yeah, I think we are better off without the SE way of using rotors / pistons. Sure, it could be a good addition, IF done properly, but as Hummel said they probably won't be able to do it without some major issues. And I deffinitely preferer NO rotors/pistons then SE bugged ones.

Thanks!

banksman45 and StyleBBQ like this.
  17. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Since they're planning lifts, foldable wings and other animated blocks then not having rotors and pistons won't be such a big deal Hopefully they're going to add SV and HV cockpits that open as well.

StyleBBQ likes this.
  18. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Thank you!!

StyleBBQ likes this.
  19. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    I can confirm that statement I made ;)

20. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

@Hummel-o-War , there's one sort of in-between I'm curious about. May already have been answered relating to the boarding ramps...?

Do you have any guesses on whether some kind of lifting platform will be possible?

Something that could lift an HV up into a CVs belly. Or act as a ship elevator in a base.

Basically fluff, I know :) yet it seems like this kind of thing might be distantly related to the docking bits, so I'm curious if it might become possible down the road.

Edit: sorry Hummel. I found where you'd already answered this one;

Good to know (remember at least, heh) that it's on the list!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019