A12 EXP - The Galaxy

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Apr 21, 2020.

1. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

You can get stuck at any sector that does not have pentaxid, such as many asteroid fields. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that either.

Pach and Demonic like this.
  2. VISION305

VISION305 Rear Admiral

Pach you are the "captain obvious" of these forums.

I thought I would bring up the issue in case they want to think on it. This hasnt happened to me but I could see how it would happen. Especially to new players or even veterans who arent paying attention. This can very easily happen.

EDIT: A ship warning when you are low would be nice. I mean any vehicle has "low gas" warnings. Im not saying this is necessarily bad or good. Just a caution that maybe it has been overlooked

3. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Yes I think this would be nice.

4. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

Space is dangerous. There shouldn't be an automatic "oops, I didn't think ahead!" safety net everywhere for everything. Early game, yes, to help new players get started.

But by the time you have a ship you can warp around in, yes, you can get stuck somewhere. That can actually be a lot of fun and adventure.

One of my more amusing adventures was back in the day of one-way warps. I didn't realize it was one way. Imagine my shock when I couldn't get home again! It was one of those "D'OH!" moments.

Worse, the path I was on, I had to have a CV warp to get out in the other direction to loop around. I was in an SV.

I eventually got the CV and got back.

But I learned a lot about what I COULD do because I suddenly NEEDED to, to survive.

Doesn't the warp-fuel bar color-code based on how low the gauge is?

Or are you asking for an audible warning, rather than a visual one?

Vermillion and Germanicus like this.
  5. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

I don't know whats more obvious:
    The fuels, O² and Pentaxid Tanks show from standard Blue to Orange to Red how much is left.:)
    Ok, yes, if you fly without watching your instruments...nobody to blame but yourself. :rolleyes:

There is already a "Warning Sign" when you attempt to jump a longer distance than your Pentaxid allows. Red box across the Screen.;)

Flying with a Blind Fold can only lead to disaster.:rolleyes:

In current Days Air Travel you call it a "Pre-Flight-Check"

Pach, ravien_ff and Vermillion like this.
  6. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I have always made it a habit of keeping an extra stash of supplies.

Pach and Germanicus like this.
  7. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Same here ->
    Reserve Mat for Ammo Prod, a Full Pent Tank plus reserves just in Case, also additional supply of Water, O2, Fuel...etc
    Exp1252927_2020-06-06_12-20-03.png Exp1252927_2020-06-06_12-19-48.png

8. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

Same. I never process the last bit of penta in my cargo boxes: if I do, I'm immediately off to a moon or penta asteroid to get more.

Germanicus likes this.
  9. VISION305

VISION305 Rear Admiral

Not really the point i wanted to make. It is obvious to people who have been playing for ages to keep backup stashes or even check before jumping. It is still poor game play mechanic to allow the player to be perpetually stuck at a star with no way out. That can be worse than dying in the game. Without a teleporter you cannot do anything. That's it, dead end. All the hard work you did playing the game gone. Now you have to open up that console and spawn in pentaxid.

We already have ever intrusive messages popping up to the player. Why not pop one of those up letting them know that they are very low and may be stuck if they jump?

I can think of several solutions without the obvious "Get gud" or "too bad" comments. This conversation isnt about that. More about game play mechanics. I am just mentioning it. If Eleon wants it that way then whatever, not my problem. If this is what we want - players getting stuck at stars with no gameplay allowing them to leave then so be it. It will have zero effect on me.

iliapugach likes this.
  10. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

If you are 14 or 16 Years of Age and have no Survival Game Experience at all you are probably right with your assertion.
    But People who chose on STEAM to play EGS do it because the know a few Bits about the Survival Stuff.

About 1-2 Years ago you could actual jump to a Planet on a one-way Route with no chance of coming back the same way. Instead you had to take a long detour over several Planets to get back from where you had started.

This is not the case anymore.
    Here, just for you, Message PLUS sound, telling you... but read for yourself;)

Exp1252927_2020-06-06_18-26-59.png Exp1252927_2020-06-06_18-27-16.png Exp1252927_2020-06-06_18-27-28.png

Pach likes this.
  11. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I did say a low fuel/o2/pentaxid warning would be nice. :D

But unfortunately as a sandbox survival game, if there's a way for players to get themselves in a bad spot, they will find it. Ideally things like this would be covered in a tutorial "don't warp without enough fuel to get back!"

The goal I think it's to give players the knowledge to recognize and avoid the traps before they encounter them and tutorials can be a good way of doing this. A mission like "your first warp" that explains how warping works and the dangers of running out of fuel might prevent new players from becoming trapped.

But ultimately players are responsible for themselves and will do what they want even if it means getting trapped on a high gravity planet. :D

Pach, VISION305 and Germanicus like this.
  12. VISION305

VISION305 Rear Admiral

It literally wont let you jump. Im talking about the times where you have the exact amount to jump to a new star and then have no way out. Like I said, if this is what we want, then so be it. Not really my problem.

13. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

And again...Those who go into Space WITHOUT preparing themselves for the worst case are the only one to blame.

14. VISION305

VISION305 Rear Admiral

Let me ask this, why is pentaxid the resource for jumping? Why cant it be fuel? I get that pentaxid is more rare. It is a cool idea. But most other games I have played used fuel as their warp resource. Grabbing fuel from the sun would be a possibility. I know Elite Dangerous does it that way. I know it is possible to get stranded out in a star in elite dangerous but you have ways of getting out.

1- You could get help from other players
    2- you could burn your ship by flying into the sun then dying causing you to respawn at the nearest station.
    3- In Empyrion your ship and all your stuff would be lost? That is some serious stuff lol

15. VISION305

VISION305 Rear Admiral

another solution, make the star sector an actual playfield. Add some asteroids, and there is always one with pentaxid somewhere. You just have to find it.

16. VISION305

VISION305 Rear Admiral

But this isnt really my point like i said. The player could be fully prepared. They just didnt notice they would be jumping to a dead end. One tiny slip up. Getting comfortable jumping and not noticing they made a dead end game breaking mistake. It is bad game play design. I know it is alpha and that is why I bring it up as a warning. But if this is what we want. Like I said not my problem.

17. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

No, it's SURVIVAL game play design.

There are tons of ways to die in survival games.

And EGS... is a Survival game. Empyrion Galactic Survival

Germanicus likes this.
  18. VISION305

VISION305 Rear Admiral

By the way sorry for the 4th post in a row but I had to say something about this new planet type i found. It was breath taking guys. Well done.

If you dont want the spoiler dont click it.

20200606112423_1.jpg 20200606111500_1.jpg 20200606111126_1.jpg 20200606112101_1.jpg 20200606112134_1.jpg

iliapugach likes this.
  19. VISION305

VISION305 Rear Admiral

I am all for it. But warn the player. The game should let players know in some way or another that warping is very dangerous and can lead to being stuck in a situation where you have no choice but to restart or use console commands to get out of it. I know it is early alpha and this is probably going to change. But either way. I just was bringing it up. I am all for survival elements. That is what I like about the game. Survival adds to immersion which makes the world more believable.

20. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Players need a "Kobayashi-Maru-Scenario". How else would they learn from their Errors but by a full grown Blunder?

Butler Alfred asked Bruce Wayne a very good Question: "Why do we Fall? To learn, how to pick ourselves up!"

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Vermillion likes this.