A6.0 Feedback: AI VESSELS (Planet and Space)

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Captain Jack II

Captain Jack II Rear Admiral

I don't really see anything wrong with that behavior... a PATROL vessel should patrol. It should interfere with someone trying to build a base on a planet. That's exactly what PV's are supposed to do.

You were looting a POI and a patrol vessel took out your unprotected HV. Again, wouldn't you sort of expect that from an enemy?

Mortlath and Diamaht like this.
  2. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Glutton for punishment that I am, I just did a Hard Masperon start without any starter base. Did really well, captured a civilian POI - which was protected by Heavy Drones, and dug in, making my base underneath the main POI.

I had a Cannon Turret taking care of the odd pesky Drone - no "Drone Waves" as such, but reinforcement for the two I took out I imagine.

Anyway, the PV came in, seemingly on top of me in no time and took out my Cannon Turret - which oddly totally ignored the approach of the PV and didn't fire, hence my surprise. The PV then began to shoot up my base, which is fine, but I still hate the fact that both player and AI turrets automagically know exactly where devices are, despite them being 100% obscured. This PV was trying to attack my Generator, a fair target IF it could see it. I could tell it was after my very buried generator - under both blocks and rock - due to the tracer shots clipping through said layers.

For me, this behaviour is starting to get really old now, no way should a turret just know where something is. Really, if the Core, Generator, Fuel Tanks and other devices are not visible, turrets should try to target Windows and Doors and other "Weak" points for structures. Current behaviour either sees the PV doing far more damage than it should be able to by automagically knowing where internal devices are, or the exact opposite where it just shoots the ground dealing zero damage due to devices being buried.

So, the targeting algorithm used in the game and applied to both Alien and Player turrets & weapons is a cheat currently, and needs to be improved. Sure, it'd doubtless take more CPU number crunching for more realistic LoS Targeting behaviour, but it's essential to avoid annoying / cheating behaviour.

In summary, Turrets should only be able to target what they actually see, and not target hidden Devices. Rather they should take out external visible weak points such as windows and doors, or just simply bombard the rough centre of a structure, with a degree of inaccuracy to cover a wider area.

Scoob.

3. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

@Scoob I get what you mean - but then again, for example the heat coming from the generator makes for a good target to aim at, right?

4. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Maybe, but until some sort of advanced sensors / targetting is actually implemented, then that's a bit cheesy :)

I'd rather see proper Line of Sight stuff, i.e. exactly how a human player targets manually. An additional annoyance of the targeting AI is how it will "see" an interior turret (Sentry) on a POI and try to shoot at it through other blocks, ignoring the giant ass turret a few metres further away that's currently hurting it.

Scoob.

rucky, rainyday and Captain Jack II like this.
  5. Diamaht

Diamaht Lieutenant

Yeah I would have to agree with this. After about three or four hours in game most of us have all the resources we need and not much taking those resource away. I love the idea that harder planets will blow my stuff up and make life hard for me. The harder the planet, the more difficult it should be for me to get a foothold and the more it should cost me. I love the idea of being on Akua having to create an SV or CV that will even get me into orbit of Masperon. Or if I decided to start there I should be hounded every second by PV's since the Aliens certainly don't want me there.

I suggest adding even more PV's to harder planets. I want to dog fight alien SV's or tank fight their HV's. Please add more.

Others have talked about looting timers, honestly IMHO (and I know I'll get some hate for this) I would prefer that PV's just blow up when defeated, I have my mining equipment for gathering resources. PV's should just be this games mobs that I get to fight and be challenged by. They should be the thing forcing me to pull back and repair/craft/build because they are hard to deal with. Maybe have them crash and then we can go to the wreckage and get loot (just like drones).

Kassonnade likes this.
  6. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

Imagine my surprise...

The patrol vessel had been a challenge on Ningues for many hours of play. I finally was able to build an SV and took the fight to the AI vessel, stripping it of its turrets, then clearing its bottom thrusters. There it sat, on the ground.

So I started to crawl around on it, looking for a way in. After some number of minutes, it made a funny sound and lifted off the ground with me on its back! Luckily my jetpack arrested my fall when I jumped.

So I recall reading about the AI vessel repairing itself. I guess I assumed it would return to base for that.

Captain Jack II likes this.
  7. Captain Jack II

Captain Jack II Rear Admiral

Welcome to Empyrion?

TheTinyMan and zztong like this.
  8. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Commander

How can said vessel return to base if you blew off it's thrusters? Thing can't even take off it's stuck on the ground there is no thrust to lift the mass of the ship off of said ground. See what I mean?

9. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

Exactly. The thrusters just reappeared and up she went.

10. Morrigan

Morrigan Lieutenant

I wish there were crew defending the ships.

Mortlath likes this.
  11. john.73738

john.73738 Captain

To me it seems that the PV's seem to be extra tough to take out. My CV got tore up trying to take out a PV in space. My CV has 4 mini gun turrets and 2 artillery turrets. While I limped away it seemed like the PV was snickering.

This is Ok, but it would be nice to have a auto repair robot like the auto miner. Time for redesign of my CV and try it again.

12. john.73738

john.73738 Captain

Another thought, why do AI vessels have to be enemy? It would be great to be able to have player AI vessels. Imagine fighter cover for your CV.

Mortlath and Morrigan like this.
  13. space_egg

space_egg Ensign

Hello, i am new to this forum and i would like to share few "issues" i got in 6.5 version of the game considering AI CV on Planets.
    1. CV takes damage but it is "transparent" so SV or other CV can go right trought it and damage internal components.
    2. AI Ships de-spawn too fast, not leaving room for salvaging or looting.
    3. On Omicron there was "base like" SHIP spawned on top of spawning platform, but it did not move.
    4. After neutralising AI Ship and landing SV on, there is a small issue, SV keep floating after AI ship is gone.

P.S. Mod please give me direct link for suggestions and general-bug reporting, i want to list all bugs on same place, maybe someone will find something new. Keep up the good work guys.