A6.0 Feedback: PLAYER ARMOR & BOOSTERS

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Jun 6, 2017.

1. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Chugging bottles of water does wonders to make brief sojourns in 200 C temperatures not instantly fatal. An SV with a nice large shutter door makes looting or mining much more enjoyable, as well.

Personally, I hope that we eventually get some kind of fuel pack slot for heavier suits that would allow active heating/cooling.

Mortlath and rainyday like this.
  2. Dinkelsen

Dinkelsen Captain

That would be cool. Before that they should revisit their energy system. Being able to carry thousands of fuel packs on your body is convenient, but creates a lot of problematic situation. Like refueling from inside the cockpit...

3. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

That could be partially mitigated by having the player's inventory contribute to the ship's mass when the player is in a cockpit/passenger chair, and setting the mass of fuel packs to favor them being in fuel tanks.

Mortlath likes this.
  4. Supercrab

Supercrab Commander

Hmmmm it will be nice if you can make a "repair station t2" or something. using the repair station t2 you can repair things fully. and a "repair station t3" that can make things invincible, but repair station t3 can only be obtained by raiding a really hard base or found in a "very very ultra rare container"

Mortlath likes this.
  5. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

The degradation system is badly implemented to start with but it has a purpose. It tries to keep rare items rare. Your proposal is equivalent to removing degradation all together. Then we would be back to common rare items.

It also trivialize the survival aspect of the game.
    Checkout how to improve degradation

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    geostar1024 likes this.
  6. Supercrab

Supercrab Commander

well then maybe not do the repair station t2 idea and make the repair station t3 only be able to make a certain number of things invincible. Or maybe make the armour duration more strong, every time i raid something, my armor goes down really really fast, even with armor boosters and medium armor. i also dont get shot that much. anyway i dont like going in settlements, searching like crazy just for medium armor.

7. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

Well the problem here is that medium armor should not need to be scavenged to start with.
    This is a terrible game mechanic to encourage exploration.
    Fix this problem not the symptom.

Did you read my link? It covered your exact issue. In field repairs using weapon/armor repair kits.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Supercrab and geostar1024 like this.
  8. frank walls

frank walls Commander

I know this has been posted before in other places, but after spending some time in single player the heat protection for armor really needs to be adjusted. There are current fire suits that protect you from prolonged exposure to tempuratures up to 1500 degrees F. How is it that high-tech space suits can't do that?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  9. Supercrab

Supercrab Commander

Yes!!!! and yah i read you link, good ideas!!! hope they use it in the game.

10. MechPilot524

MechPilot524 Captain

This system is a good start. Some of the options need tweaking and some of the stats are confusing or counter-intuitive. For instance, there is "jetpack rating". At a glance, a player would look at it and think a better jetpack rating would indicate better jetpack performance. However, this is not true. We need to decide what is a "standard" jetpack performance, and say that is a rating of 1. A rating of 0.5 is half as good, a rating of 2 is twice as good. I am not convinced it is linear or multiplicative at this time.
    In addition, it does not tell you which jetpack property it improves, although it seems to help just about everything. It would be more interesting to see each of those properties being something we could boost.
    The high number of options this entails would likely make necessary an interface update, allowing a player to view a specific category of statistics: mobility, damage protection, environment mitigation, etc.

It's a bit annoying to have to use a locker to change armor, but there are lockers for SV/HV and it does force the player to make a choice. If anything, add Suits, which don't require the assistance of a Locker to add and remove, but aren't as effective as Armor.

I believe it can and should be expanded to include greater options, with multiple distinct categories (eg Space, Combat, Exploration, Storage), with high-tier hybrids (such as Space Marine armor geared to absorb hits as well as survive outer space, or Prospector armor) as well as god-tier specialized armor. A player should be able to choose between a very solid, versatile armor or an extremely solid, specialized armor - it feels like that choice doesn't really exist, yet.

I also believe the Boosts can be reworked into Mods, as well as interchangeable pieces. Mod parts of your Armor to alter its performance and add special perks - install an appropriate Jetpack mod to improve impulse power, energy storage, or power regeneration. Mod your center pieces to have increased blast protection. Mod your inventory to have more space, or instead add a personal energy shield *hint hint*. Mod your boots to have magnetic properties or fall damage mitigation. Mod your helmet to contain a rebreather to halt oxygen consumption, a lifeform scanner to more accurately track targets, image analysis system to mitigate soft cover and/or poor lighting. There'd be a certain amount of slots, if there are any, based on item tier and class. Basic mods can be crafted but the good ones must be salvaged from mini-bosses or looted from a POI. Heavy and light armor have less mod slots than medium armor due to their specialization, but medium armor can be adaptable or even unique.

11. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

I Like that the armor requires an armor locker to change/configure. This make your choices mean something. If I could interchange boosters at will it would make for a boring outing. This is also true if you are using mods. I believe in the motto "Think, Prepare, Survive". This game is partly a survival game and you should have to make these types of choices. I don't want armor to end up like the factory. A wardrobe in my pocket.

This is what I was wanting from the start. It would still require a locker to configure/equip.
    Checkout some of my old posts.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    Mortlath likes this.