About building HV's.....

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Captain Howdy, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Captain Howdy

Captain Howdy Ensign

I was wondering if anyone had proposed a new thruster block or blocks for the HV grids? It seems to me that a larger thruster than the T2 large would REALLY help me out a great deal. I am a beginning builder, and not very good tbh. It is hard to build "good" in this game and there are different types of "good" depending on what one wants to do.....raid, hunt, pve, pvp etc. Flexibility in building is always a plus no? I always need too many T2 thrusters to build anything more than a small thing that just dies to shielded poi if it gets hit....or it is big and takes a gazillion thrusters to move. Perhaps a 2x2 or a 2x3 block to help design nicer/"realistic" looking tanks at least? lol. I REALLY think that a new tier of HV thrusters would cap off the HV grid nicely and not upset the CPU balance or the HV/SV trade off too much.

DarkMaid likes this.
  2. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

Would be cool to have some bigger thrusters on hv.

I can give you some HV building tips that may or may not help your situation, focus most power on side to side thrusters.
    Not so much front and rear, side to side are most useful for trying to dodge enemy turret fire.
    Less thrusters for front and back, more thrusters to the sides.
    Being a HV you dont need any thrusters pointing up or down so there is that bonus.
    RCS thrusters seem to steer the craft more efficiently when the craft is roughly as wide as it is long in block length, a craft that is long and narrow will steer like a sloppy bus.

Maybe try some tests with lighter steel or even carbon blocks.
    silly as it sounds, if the weight difference give you moving capability enough to avoid most turret fire with strafing, your shields should never drop.
    You can always fall back a little distance to recharge shield before it drops.

learn the replaceblock command and you can change the entire hull from steel to hardened or combat or carbon.

If your playing single player, like I used to do I would edit the config and modify the shield strength and recharge time etc
    I never did like the default shield values in empyrion.

Also I think certain ammo and pentax fuel weigh tons now, so keep as little in the tanks as possible to avoid losing precious thrust power.
    When you raid POI if your finding BA/CV device loot, its not a good idea to put them in sv/hv boxes if you have weight/volume enabled ;)
    Simply too heavy.

Lyceq and Captain Howdy like this.
  3. JupiterVessel Corp

JupiterVessel Corp Commander

Reforge has exactly this. A 2x2 plasma thruster. The vanilla game should add it.

Captain Howdy and Vermillion like this.
  4. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

Only because it is most likely an adaptation of the existing CV L (2x2x4) thruster for small block. He could do the same to the CV XL thruster easily enough too.

As far as I can tell, we cannot do simple thing via config files to make say a 3x3x2 (2 depth) thruster from an existing block (like a short CV XL thruster) because it seems there is no way to scale the actual model (beyond small or large), only the specify the cube space it occupies and I cant find a way to get it to stretch to fit. I had thought maybe ModelScaleLocked might do that, but it seems not :(

For other thruster sizes (and basically variants of any existing blocks), only option is to rant at eleon it seems (or rant at a wall as that is about as useful even if marginally less satisfying :)).

Captain Howdy and Kassonnade like this.
  5. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

We can't make thrusters that "light up" when activated, but I'm positive that we can make some anyway, they will just not have light effects. We can make hover engines though... and hover boosters, you know, that thing that can make a pile of blocks jump very high in a short time...

We can see all devices' "origins" when placing them down : that's the part we have to match with Unity's origin when making blocks, so it shows where the top/ bottom of our model has to be in order to work as intended (minus the anims) in game.

Captain Howdy likes this.
  6. DarkMaid

DarkMaid Commander

Also need a T2 RCS for HV's. Seems every HV I've ever built (other than a bare-bones tree logger) ends up with double digit numbers of RCS's. As soon as the Hardened and Combat steel starts getting slapped on or that first return trip loaded with loot from a POI it's pretty much a given that I'm already thinking about how many more thrusters and RCS's I'll need to add.

HV and SV thrusters could use a 20% buff across the board; or at least give the T2's an even larger performance increase over their T1 prequels. Just as an example: the Destroyed SV from the minefield POI is still my go to SV for all sorts of tasks and after numerous refabs it's now up to 56 thrusters and 10 RCS. Most of those thrusters are T2's but I still have 8 or so Smalls for dimensional reasons. A T2 version of the small thruster would be great (for both HV and SV).

7. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral