INFO & FEEDBACK [Alpha 11] CPU Points and Tiers - How does it work?

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Oct 26, 2019.

?

Did you understand the EXPLANATION on how the CPU and CPU Tier system works?

1. Got it!

46.4%
  2. Not really

16.9%
  3. Do not care / do not see why we need CPU

36.7%
  1. Albert

Albert Lieutenant

I am excited to see how the CPU system works, and welcome the change! But I think bases should definitely have more CPU than a CV.

2. sillyrobot

sillyrobot Captain

I'm returning after about a year away and am somewhat puzzled by the plethora of different constraints that now limit design. As I understand, there is a maximum distance from the core a block can be placed, weapon count limit, mass restriction -- both on ship mass and passenger/cargo carry weight, and now seemingly onerous CPU limitations unless the players gets particularly lucky with raiding to acquire multiple T4 augments for each craft/base desired (and still limited even then).

How many different dimensions of constraint are worthwhile?
    How many restrictions will a player need to be mindful of as one attempts to construct a ship or base?
    Is the system getting so complex that more casual players simply won't bother designing/building much? Is that a problem in a game geared around building as much as this one is?
    Is designing variations to account for no augments, T2, T3, and T4 augments for the same craft type likely to be worthwhile and satisfying to the player architects?

I do understand the mass and CPU constraints might be capable of being disabled, but devs should expect/hope the players want to try the default behaviour. The answer shouldn't be "just turn them off" or "just change the config to allow what you want" in a game where a marketplace exists to share designs.

Paganizer, ldog, Andreykl and 11 others like this.
  3. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I'm excited to start designing blueprints using the CPU system!

4. [RCF]Grodark

[RCF]Grodark Lieutenant

So far I find the projected numbers to low unless you lower down the CPU of everything in game by a ton
    I know the current numbers we can see are not whats in 10.6 but it seems that right now all my ships need tier 4 and they are simple specialty fighters and less than most people make for SVs my CV is also in danger and it;s nothing really but basics 10 cargo controllers 1 ore and wood 1 ammo no extenders landing gear warp shields reactor fuel storage like 3 O2 t3s 1 of each medical station repair armor o2 station mining lasers pulse lasers and 4 30 mm cannons 2 sets of small elevators and like 4 doors 6 passenger seats 12 large blue engines this is really basic needs for a base CV

ldog, Andreykl and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  5. TK85

TK85 Captain

Not sure if I understood this correctly.

I start my BP (CV for example) with Core (Tier 1) and have 200k CPU. Do I install Tier 2 (400k) and get 600k (200K + 400K) or 400K?

Then I want to install Tier 3 (800K). If I remove Tier 2, how much CPU will I get? Will these 800K be added to Tier 1 (200K), giving me 1,000K?

Installing Tier 3 and maintaining Tier 2 I get a total of 1,400K? (200K + 400K + 800K)

runlykhel and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  6. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Your ship's total cpu is equal to the highest functioning tier. Tier 3 gives your ship a total of 800k, having lower tiers has no effect except as redundancy in case your tier 3 extenders are destroyed.

7. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

If you get the balance correct for CPU values on components the only sane way to allow freedom within the CPU system is to allow changes to the values of each level. By suggesting that players can change the system to suit their playstyle by changing each and every entity with a CPU suggests two possible things to me. One you do not think that you can balance the CPU of each item correctly. Two you want to make it so difficult to adjust that almost no one will try. Both of these sadden me for the future of the game.

8. TK85

TK85 Captain

Ok. How does this work then:

"You can start with either tier. But also note, that only a FULL tier will provide you with the CPU Points for this tier."

That I can install the Tiers in any order I want, but it won't work, or it will work in part unless I have all the Tiers installed up to that Tier? Example: I have CV Tier 1 = 200K CPU. I install Tier 3 without Tier 2, I still have 200K CPU or I get 400K (or 600K) CPU and I only get the 800K if I install Tier 2?

I think it's important to clarify this because it will affect combat. If I have the first 3 Tiers installed and I lose Tier 2, for example, how much CPU will I get?

Can I install the same Tier more than once for redundancy in case of loss? Because if I have 800k CPU, I lose Tier 2 in combat, and the available CPU drops to 200K, it's a very severe reduction, the efficiency will be greatly affected. Pretty much a death sentence?

9. I do agree with you. Luckily we have the config file. I'll probably be removing the looting requirement myself and replacing it with craftable components.

10. This was explained in the questions above.

Whatever the highest tier you have installed is the tier you will have.
    If you just have a core you are tier 1.
    If you have just a core and T4 extenders you are T4.
    Since you don't have T2 and T3, if you lose a T4 extender you drop back to T1.

Install all the tiers if you want redundancy (lose a T4 and drop to T3 instead of T1)

11. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

One suggestion was made recently but I forgot who made it : if some devices are deactivated/ shut down, their CPU "consumption" should be removed from the total CPU in usage.

For example, all thrusters active + all doors + all generators + whatever else active = total CPU.
    If player shuts down thrusters then this removes thruster CPU values from total, and other devices can be activated/ turned on.

CPU would not be a "fixed" value because it would only take into account active devices that require processing power when on. Limits still apply, but players can choose what to turn on or off to stay under the limit.

Andreykl, Evolvei, StyleBBQ and 4 others like this.
  12. TK85

TK85 Captain

Oops

I had to go back to see it. Went unnoticed.

Now all Ok.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  13. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat Captain

This seems like a mistake. Whats the thought process behind not having it act like it will on release?

14. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

My guess is that they know their numbers are so bad that if it acts as it will on release nothing will work at all. look at the thruster rework 1 XL thruster uses half of the total available CPU at tier 4. There is no way to build a functional ship if it has an XL thruster in it. 8 large thrusters also use up the entire CPU allotment. These numbers come from the just-released thruster balance hummel posted.

Tyrax Lightning and jmtc like this.
  15. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

What a hot debate...just as when the W&V System came up;):D.

16. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Well they use up 1/3rd of the CPU, so you could put two on a ship and still have about 500k CPU left over, but yeah that does still seem excessive. The CPU values will be balanced during experimental, so catching things like this is good.

17. That 500k (ish) left over will be used up though by the other smaller thrusters that will be needed for the other thrust vectors. Not to mention RCS which we know will be expensive as well (just not how expensive yet).

After just thrusters and RCS it doesn't seem like there will be any CPU left for things like constructors/storage/etc.
    Without room for those things, what is even the point of building a ship with those thrusters?

I bet I can hit that limit and still be a class size 1 and have basically zero other devices.

18. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

The whole usage of Truster - L and XL - is for those who want to make Planetary Landfalls. Not staying in Orbit and go down to the surface with smaller crafts. While in Space and only in Space I do not need those super large, power hungry Truster.

19. Mad Raven

Mad Raven Ensign

EGS is a survival game, and as such, should absolutely have restrictions and systems in place that give a reasonable level of realism, as well as balance.
    The Nay-sayers will constantly be attempting to prevent you from putting such systems in place, as they always want to take the easy route, no matter how unreasonable it seems (carrying 500 tons in their character's inventory for example).
    This is evidenced by the fact that most EGS servers refuse to run weights and volumes, or have cheesy workarounds (just stick it in your unlimited character inventory!!!). The same will, unfortunately, happen with this much needed system, because Eleon feels the need to capitulate to these players, and this will ultimately hold this game back from becoming what Eleon intends it to be.

CPU is a much needed step.
    This implementation will allow for better future balancing, and more varied and specialized designs (which means more reason to farm minerals).
    Personally, I feel that Eleon needs to stop putting in on/off switches, and make the game what it's meant to be, and alpha players need to stop whining about intended mechanics being implemented.
    The majority of gamers HATE change, and most WILL NOT accept them unless you force the issue.
    I can't tell you how many times I've watched ESO players yell "Im quitting" because zenimax forces a meta change in an upcoming expansion....and when that expansion drops, they are still there, paying their $15/mo and adapting to the new changes.

The fact is, you will get more done and gain more respect as a company by delivering YOUR product the way you want it to be played...as long as you don't extort your playerbase.

Average, Albert, GenghisBob and 6 others like this.
  20. Arrclyde

Arrclyde Rear Admiral

That is a good idea for serverowners and for singleplayer. I might do this too, but what is with all those people that can not and do not want to edit game files?

idx64, runlykhel and Tyrax Lightning like this.