INFO & FEEDBACK [Alpha 11] CPU Points and Tiers - How does it work?

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Oct 26, 2019.

?

Did you understand the EXPLANATION on how the CPU and CPU Tier system works?

1. Got it!

46.4%
  2. Not really

16.9%
  3. Do not care / do not see why we need CPU

36.7%
  1. Anyone that can play the game and type on a keyboard CAN edit files. They may not want to, but they still can.

I understand it can be daunting for some.
    For anyone that doesn't want to edit files themselves they can turn to the community. We have a lot of helpful people willing to lend a hand.
    Even still it can be completely disabled if they don't want to do any of that.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I agree with a lot of what you say, but Empyrion is in a genre of game where having many game options is the lifeblood of the game. The ability to fine tune or enable/disable features at will is a good thing, since Empyrion is partly a sandbox game allowing players to choose how they want to play. That's one of Empyrion's greatest strengths. There are people who will change up their games, sometimes starting on an easy planet, sometimes a hard one. Sometimes they'll play with mass/volume, sometimes without. Sometimes they'll play with auto miner depletion, sometimes without. Options are good, and allow for more varied game play and repeatability.

Every time you start a new game in Empyrion, you can get a different experience. Game options help with that so I'm glad they made it optional. For me personally, I'll probably always have it enabled, along with mass and volume. For others, they won't. And that's okay.

3. Arrclyde

Arrclyde Rear Admiral

You do not understand me quiet right.
    For a good game, every option needs to be available within the game and should be easily accessible without being relying on others. And since not even 10% of any player base is active on a forum one could say that it is their own fault. But for a game developer it might be interesting to have a accessible game and easy to understand gameplay options to provide to a very wide audience.
    Because it doesn't matter for a few people like us to know all the tricks and options for people who do not want to ask for help but can wride a resession, how bad the game is.

I am not saying it will come that way. I just throw it in there for consideration.

runlykhel, Tyrax Lightning and TK85 like this.
  4. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

The sizes are likely to stay yes (2x1x1 for T2 and 3) (1x1 for T1)

5. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

If you install T2 you get 400K max (not 200+400=600)
    When you install T3 you get 800K max, even if you remove T2. If you leave T2 it will run as backup

Its not T0+T1+T2+T3=max. The max is what the Tier gives

6. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Haveing a full editor in game for the config file is undouable. To many options in the config file for it.
    The file is very easy to edit by hand. I get it not everyone wants to do this. Might at some point we write a tool
    for it like the SSG but thats simple low prio atm. If anyone in the community wants to write a tool sure fine!

If players really want to edit it and dont know how as @krazzykid2006 says more then enough ppl around who can help.
    Ive my self already said a couple of times players can ask me to do it for them ;) Its not like it takes hours work

7. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Maybe we can add custom configs as a Workshop item in the futur.

8. Azule

Azule Ensign

Just a simple question, can i place additional extenders on a ship in case of destruction during a battle? I know it will give no benefits when placed, but would kick in when another module is destroyed. I am assuming these things will soak up a good deal of power, is this the case?

runlykhel and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  9. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    See the Question section on the 1st page! ;)

Answer: No, you cannot add MORE of the same Extenders than required for the tier.

10. Dramegno

Dramegno Commander

I heard on Spanj's livestream something about a document with tentitive cpu values floating around somewhere, is there a link somewhere that I am missing for it? I don't 100% mind if it is out of date as long as it is 90% accurate to current planned values.

11. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Sorry this document is only for internal eyes

You will see the new numbers once the EXP gets released

12. Dramegno

Dramegno Commander

okay thank you for clearing that up for me.

13. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

oops read the wrong column.
    Try to keep an asteroid miner stable enough to mine when mostly full without lots of thrust it is an unpleasant and un-fun experience. How do you purpose getting the results of your asteroid mining to the planet to use it? No, I do not want a space base. What smaller craft is it that lift 100o's of tons.

My size class 1 asteroid mining CV uses 50 M thrusters and 4 L thrusters and it is difficult to fly in space when full and just able to stay flying in 1 g. It has no constructors. Just the thrusters use 1200600 leaving 599400 for the cargo (without storage what is the point of mining) warp and shields just enough guns to keep dornes at bay a cockpit a ramp to get in and out. Hoping with the new turning mechanic I can leave out the RCS to make room for the CPU extenders. This is a runaway at the first sign of trouble miner I can see no way to build a battle miner with the above thruster numbers in their current state.

Not all of us play the same game with the framework that is provided.

14. Arrclyde

Arrclyde Rear Admiral

I understand that it is pretty much undoable to have an extended config options editor.
    I inow it is pretty hard to change perspective. I know how to edit files, where to get my informations from. But as i said, not everybody is like that. If it turns out to be too much of a hussle people won't go on the internet to the forum and ask for help to get the game running. Most people say "sh!t game" and leave.

I am not saying that it is wrong. I just say you might want to concider this before the final release version to have the best experience for the smallest common denominator. The ones that like everything more complex, complicated and hard tend to be more willing to change files that the average player of computer games.

I don't say it is the only right way. At least according to steam spy this game has between 500k and million sales. I could be wrong that ot didn't change much within the last 3 years. But i don't have any real numbers so it is just a guess. So say it is the middle of the numbers, 750k. How much of that number is here on that forum? I guess 2-3%.
    So my question: who do people should ask INGAME in their single player game without doing excessive research on the forums?

I hope you don't think that what you have suggested here is your solution for every problems can have with changing things in their game or the ones they have to deal with due to user unfriendly UIs and option settings.

Yes i know, it is pretty tedius to deal with lazyness and unwillingness of customers. But that is how things work. If it doesn't work how they think it should, most people will ditch it and move on.

15. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

As we said, we might write a tool, or a community member writes a tool or we allow shareing the configs on the workshop in the future.

3 solutions and all 3 work.

Most of the players are around on discord actually :) 832 online atm with a total of 2900

16. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

You make good point. You have to search for those POIs in space.. Why not just keep it simple? Like most games and how Empyrion used to be. If you can gather enough resources via mining or deconstructing POI bases or other ships then you can build what you would like. The size of your ship should not be part of the Progression in this game. The game itself has too many other ways to add good content then to make the size of your ship part of the overall game. This will do nothing but annoy most builders. Who really enjoy the building aspect of game but who would like to use the CPU system. If you want to build CV ship the way you want , you will have to go searching for tier 3 and tier 4 in POIs or go try to buy the parts to craft them.

runlykhel and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  17. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I think will too.

18. Arrclyde

Arrclyde Rear Admiral

That is a wooping 0.4% of all people buying this game in early access via Steam.

I think that might work. I am just asking if it might be possible to think about mechanics and options and if they are the ideal solution. Just asking. From i have seen, i actually miss the work of an experienced User experience designer.
    Don't look at me. I am also someone not minding handling a complicated system and do not see what problems people have with things that seem so logical to me. :-D

Edit: so whats up now with the new flight model? Did i miss that threat, or isn't it up as if yet?

19. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Soon ;)

20. Softwalker001

Softwalker001 Commander

Is Minecraft a Survival game??

Having played it for 10 ish years before finding Empyrion I say NO. Yes there is food and critters but its more focused on building.

In the last Q&A it was stated the idea for EGS was Minecraft with SPACE. And I Thank Them MASSIVELY for it.

If I want to play a "Pure" Survival game I have 2x10^999999 choices. They are interesting for about 3 hours each.

I have nearly 2000 Hrs in EGS and still play daily.

So PLEASE do not ask the Developer to enforce YOUR view of what YOU think this game should be. Just because "Survival" is in the name.

To the Devs thank you for a KICK A** Game.

SoCalExile and Tyrax Lightning like this.