INFO & FEEDBACK [Alpha 11] CPU Points and Tiers - How does it work?

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Oct 26, 2019.

?

Did you understand the EXPLANATION on how the CPU and CPU Tier system works?

1. Got it!

46.4%
  2. Not really

16.9%
  3. Do not care / do not see why we need CPU

36.7%
  1. sillyrobot

sillyrobot Captain

One thing I've never seen addressed: is that decay linear, quadratic, or exponential? Assuming the penalty is 50% at 100% over CPU limit, what are the penalties at 150% and 200% over CPU limit?

P.S. that new limit is going to hurt those builders that thought "going a bit over the limit isn't bad at all!"

Tyrax Lightning and StyleBBQ like this.
  2. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    It is currently linear. The 100>50 or 100>20 is only an example. You can of course also get anything from 0 up to 99.9%

3. sillyrobot

sillyrobot Captain

So it is in fact a hard limit? The line will cross zero eventually -- at 200% in my example, above.

*edit* and at 125% over CPU under the 20% regime.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  4. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

And it does, if you exceed it enough; put a few XL thrusters on a CV at T1 CPU and it simply won't move.

5. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I blame the Talon. Really... its all their fault, with their space age hacking tools hidden in those wooden weapons of theirs.

6. sillyrobot

sillyrobot Captain

So CPU tiers aren't really going to be suggestions, they are hard limits at about the point the next tier threshold is placed (or before!). Correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems different than the messaging I saw.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  7. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Meaning:

If T1 CPU max is 6000... 100% overshoot would mean you are at 12,000 points.

Just to make that clear, it doesn't mean you hit 6001 points and suddenly you are at 50% efficiency.

8. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Exactly.

Tyrax Lightning and Frigidman like this.
  9. sillyrobot

sillyrobot Captain

Perhaps rather than saying "penalty at 100% over CPU limit is N%", you should say "The performance drops to 0% at N% over CPU limit". It removes the false impression of a soft cap.

10. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    It is a soft cap, but obviously 0 is always the end.

A hard cap is something like the limit for turrets and weapons, which does not allow for adding any additional item.

Sofianinho and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  11. sillyrobot

sillyrobot Captain

It's a hard cap where you are reporting an intermediate arbitrary point. A soft cap typically offers diminishing returns. I originally thought the decay had to be following an exponential fall-off (similar to radioactive half-life) because it was billed as a soft cap.

In reality, the 20% regime is scaling penalty starting when points exceed 100% CPU threshold reaching a hard cap of 0% usefulness at +125% of CPU threshold.

12. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    It is still not a hard limit then. Just a penalty that is hitting your efficiency hard. :D

13. notmanhattan

notmanhattan Lieutenant

a starter ship is anything thats used on a starter planet / in early game, thought that was self explanatory

also, you seem to have no understanding of my entire point, which was to make t2 the standard size for ships, which makes sense for every player as its the tier accessible to everyone without having to get rare components

what you describe as a "pet issue" is my attempt to propose a solution that would work for nearly all players while still allowing cpu to serve its purpose and allow new interesting content with how players obtain t3/4

i know, being dismissive is fun and allows you to ignore any real issues or have to rub those 2 brain cells together (hard work), but it is very counterproductive to making cpu an actually good system that most players will want to have on, unlike m/v

if you dont have anything more to add to the conversation you might as well go do something else, as the devs seem to be completely ignoring the criticisms about cpu and just keep pushing it for those tasty christmas steam sales, and your pointless comments arent going to fix any of that

Arkudo likes this.
  14. notmanhattan

notmanhattan Lieutenant

its a softcap silly
    hard cap = you can have x things, no more
    soft cap = you can have x things, but any extra past x will make them less effective until they hit 0

Supay likes this.
  15. sillyrobot

sillyrobot Captain

If the cap were 20% effectiveness per +100 CPU points, it would be a soft cap.

It's a hard cap on a scaling penalty. At the 20% effectiveness @ +100 CPU points, the hard cap is at +125% CPU points. Rather than picking an intermediate point to report, tell the population the two end points: from 100% effectiveness at or under 100% of CPU cap to 0% effectiveness at 225% of CPU cap and over.

16. sillyrobot

sillyrobot Captain

It hits 0% effectiveness. Pretty much the definition of hard cap! What happens if I hit that number? None of the affected gear operates. If I go further, they still don't operate.

17. Supay

Supay Captain

Hard caps are generally things you can not go past no matter what. Soft cap lets you go past it.

18. Supay

Supay Captain

Example of hard cap is the speed on planets is capped and there isn't anyway to go faster.

19. sillyrobot

sillyrobot Captain

That's an example, yes. That a simple hard cap. CPU penalties are hard-capped too. They just aren't telling you where but rather telling you where the penalty begins and an arbitrary point along the line.

An example of a soft cap would be effectiveness is cumulatively reduced 50% per 100% over CPU limit.

Hitting the CPU limit = 100%
    200% CPU = 50%
    300% CPU = 25%

20. sillyrobot

sillyrobot Captain

And this is one you can't go past and still operate. I'm glad we agree it is a hard cap.