Alpha 7.1 - Feedback: HV/CV MultiTurret

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Oct 31, 2017.

1. ion_storm

ion_storm Captain

No, if SV has both, it will really hit HVs badly...

2. Track Driver

Track Driver Rear Admiral

ion_storm likes this.
  3. Trig

Trig Captain

I think the multi-turrets are good, but could be far better if they could be assigned to the hot bar and entered immediately by pressing that key. Especially for solo players. As it is, going into control panel/devices and re-entering the turret every time you need to move the craft a bit is really tedious, and probably annoying enough that it turns people away from using Multi- and Drill- turrets.

4. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I have an idea. Instead of turret make this tool as follows. ..

You do know how the hose on a vacuum cleaner/gas station/waterhose works right? Good. Make this tool like a hose. One end attached on the CV/HV and the other free to be moved around either by means of the player or with a new type of drone, attached on the end of the hose, for game design purposes. It can of course have a length limit like the multiturret does. In this way it serves the bellow rules :

1) It is always attached on the vehicle (CV/HV) so it has more efficiency than the hand multi-tool. Might drain power/fuel to operate instead of charges.
    2) It is flexible to be moved around more freely than a fixed turret.
    3) Its length can be variable.
    4) Also the ability to repair/deconstruct etc may be variable as well.

So many problems are being solved instantly. Others might arise of-course. To be frank, browsing the Unity asset store, I haven't seen anything similar, so it might be a headache for the developers. Or maybe just another challenge?

zztong likes this.
  5. Track Driver

An interesting concept. If it could be done, it would open a myriad of possible machines. So far, I haven't seen anything with extendable AND flexible bits. For the present, I don't see how a hose or even a jointed snorkel would work with this system.

I wish it could.

I hope it can

6. Track Driver

I like the idea. I suppose the way it could work is, when you select the turret in tool belt or hot-bar, the control keys operate the turret. Selecting open hand (or an empty slot) returns control to the ship. This would be an improvement.

I still prefer to have drill and repair modules on SVs

7. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

We haven't seen other more mandatory effects in this game I believe, like for example wheels and lights that turn on and of automatically like beacons.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  8. 68plex

68plex Captain

The Norton Bomb Sight on WWII bombers enabled the bombardier to take control of the plane while in use. Short of the other suggestions, we need that sort of thing with the multiturret. Increase the 'up' rotation, and extend the range. This would be suitable to me.

Funny fact: Last night I deconstructed my own cockpit with some rather poor aiming :)

9. OopsLoops

OopsLoops Lieutenant

Maybe, I am thinking the same thing.

If when using the turret while sliding(By WASD move) CV, I think that a small repair CV will have high utility value.

Looking at the discussion here, it seems like a simple and good way to me. It should be a good thing for other turrets and solo players.

68plex and binhthuy71 like this.
  10. MechPilot524

MechPilot524 Captain

It's good but you can't use them on planets, which is a major downside. That makes CV turrets and multiturrets slightly useless.

OopsLoops and Track Driver like this.
  11. Track Driver

Why avoid the obvious? Drill and MT modules on SVs work better on planet and in space than CV/HV turrets. They are more maneuverable in space and more stable on planet surface. All this takes away from CVs/HVs is the function of mining and repair/deconstruct which wasn't originally theirs in the first place.

ion_storm likes this.
  12. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

I'd think an SV would be the preferred platform for a forward mounted multitool, not a turret. HVs cannot reach much of what needs to be disassembled so they don't need any form of a multitool. If we're going to give roles to HV/SV/CV, then I don't think a CV needs a multitool feature, turret or otherwise.

I think an HV with forward mounted drills should be the preferred method of mining on a planet or moon, where there is significant gravity. It obviously won't work for an asteroid in space where there is not significant gravity. An SV with forward mounted drills should be the preferred method of mining in space.

Track Driver and ion_storm like this.
  13. ion_storm

ion_storm Captain

I haven't yet seen a single meaningfull reason why MT shouldn't be a SV fixed module...
    Instead we'll wonder what further complexity to come up with just to keep the turrets, but a little bit more usefull, but still nowhere near the fixed SV "guns"...
    And they're not the only things going this way...
    Sounds like pretty backwards engineering to me...

Track Driver likes this.
  14. 68plex

68plex Captain

Yeah there's plenty of good suggestions in this thread. Devs just need to pick one and implement.

15. Track Driver

I agree with everything except HVs for mining. Now, it may be that I simply haven't built my HV mining rig correctly. But my experience tells me that the HV is too sensitive to surface irregularities that seem inevitable when drilling. Even initial penetration proves unstable at times. I even added outrigger hover engines to no avail. Since it appears that everyone else is fine with HV mining, I must be doing something wrong (quite possible).

zztong likes this.
  16. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

I wasn't thinking in terms of current HV performance, but instead of roles that made sense to me based on the current in-game technologies.

As far as HV performance is concerned, I agree completely that HVs do not offer enough control over the drilling outcome. I agree there should be some kind of "gamey" aspect to handling one, but that a person should be able to carve out caverns with a controlled outcome, such as having a level floor and boxy sides without constantly rolling around or nose-diving toward the core of the planet.

17. Track Driver

Theoretically, then, the HV would make a good mining platform. But as you have apparently observed, it doesn't. Perhaps in my lifetime, if they hurry, the devs will figure something out.:rolleyes:

zztong likes this.
  18. GauHelldragon

GauHelldragon Commander

Why is this turret so high level anyway? It doesn't seem like it can do anything a multitool can't.

19. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Yea I recon its pretty crappy to be honest, top tier drill turrets should pull as much Ore as 6 HV T2 drill or they defeat the purpose of being the highest teir tool.

CV is just as bad.

Multitool is handy but like others have said, you need to be able to control ship as well, not jump through menus all the time just to change seats.

Track Driver likes this.
  20. Wakfu

Wakfu Commander

how about giving it splash damage? so that it eats like 4 blocks wide or something?