Alpha 7 - FAQ and Feedback: Blueprint Spawn

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

Maybe instead of building a platform, you would have to blanket the construction site with enough "Construction Drone Docking Stations" to support the size of the ship. Folks on a planet might put "Construction Drone Docking Stations" on towers or built them into platforms. Folks in space might build them as satellites or attach them to some kind of drydock frame.

Game wise, the area surrounded by the "Construction Drone Docking Stations" would be compared to the size of the ship.

Maybe?

banksman45 and jmtc like this.
  2. jmtc

jmtc Captain

@banksman Hummel hasn't answered, but apparently has edited the original post to omit the 'massive plate' reference. I believe that I misunderstood the intent of Hummel's original tip due to the semantic similarities between the words "platform", "plate" and "base".

I think that we do need a simplified list of rules for spawning ships to be published, just so that we have some idea of what is actually allowed or disallowed. Such as, "ship landing gear must be positioned over base blocks", "spawn area must be larger than ship area", "a base block must be present under every ship block", and so on.

banksman45 likes this.
  3. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

That sounds like a good idea because I'm wondering what the next shipyard update will look like? Will it be construction drones or some type of advanced repair ? I love the idea of building in creative mode and bringing my creations over to survival. Now Since I play Single player mostly it's not that big of deal but it would be nice if they added something like your idea to the ship yard.
    Or maybe a Shipyard core .
    A basic core for SVs HVs
    A advanced Core for CVs
    A Rare core made from rare materials for extra large CVs.

4. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I agree it would be nice to have some type of directions on spawning now.. I can make the platform work if I play with it enough but the "Connect to base" I can't get it to work at all. Honestly I love this idea but it needs some serious cleaning up.

jmtc likes this.
  5. jmtc

jmtc Captain

@banksman45 I think the original suggestion of using "connect to base" was intended by @Hummel-o-War to suggest that players didn't have to create a "new" base (in the in-game BA sense) just for spawning ships, but could instead link a landing pad/platform to their existing bases (BAs).

The semantics of the statement were not very clear, and I took it to mean that the area of the ship (in the mathematical sense) just needed to be lower than the mathematical area of the BA; and that the "connect to base" mode could be employed to increase the logical size of the BA for this purpose. I believe that my interpretation was incorrect, and that Hummel was not actually suggesting that a non-solid spawn area is allowed.

I also support the basic idea and welcome having shipyard facilities. We really just need some clarification on the rules being used to know how best to employ it.

banksman45 likes this.
  6. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Yep, removed this part as it was not clear enough. Sry for the confusion.

banksman45 likes this.
  7. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Finally got a shipyard that all my CVs can spawn on if I position them just right. The trick I use is, slowly lowering the Ship down on the platform while I left click on my mouse really fast so once the spawn area goes from red to green I can catch it before it goes back to red again. If I don't I get the message that an object is in the way and there is nothing in the way..
    I can't wait until the devs makes this process easier. I know the devs will fix this but for right now I guess I'm building a spacebase with a huge shipyard. Good thing I don't play multiplayer because this thing would never get built in MP. lol Screenshot (1397).png

look how tiny my SV looks on this thing. lol

Screenshot (1400).png

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    dichebach likes this.
  8. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Hummel just so you know I may complain a lot but I love the idea of a Shipyard I just want it to work for ships of all sizes.
    Can you give any hints on what shipyards are going to look like once you guys finish developing them ?

9. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    There is no final concept yet. I personaly would vote for kind of a 1-block console (Accesspoint) which blocks a "spawn area" (not a massive device).

So you add the console where you want and maybe can move around the spawn area (like with the sensors, but with a fixed size). You then can "cover" the spawn area with blocks if you want - or keep it.

But that's a concept of mine (which i think is the easiest to utilize and handle and least limiting)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    IanX, IronCartographer and banksman45 like this.
  10. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Now that is a way better idea. Hopefully they will go with your idea.

11. Izzin

Izzin Lieutenant

One of the things introduced in 7.x was how we process raw materials for BP's.
    We used to just "store up resources" now if your BP does not require "Sathium" for example, and you put a module into the factory that has sathium, you get that resource in your inventory.

This IMO is very over powered. I never have to leave Omnicron, I get all my rare mats just putting T2 items from POI/Cap Vessel into factory and get all the resources back. Its like a poor mans recycler.

It should not be easy to get a full stack of 999 of the rare resources that we were being asked to leave planet for before level 10.

--Izz

12. Vorg

Vorg Lieutenant

I think it may be related to the new snap to function intended for ships. Bases can no longer be sunk more than about 50% of their total height into the ground. Kills Bunker designs.

13. dichebach

dichebach Captain

I agree with the spirit of your concern . . . but at the same time. I LIKE that there is at least some method to recycle stuff and what is the point of all that stuff in the POIs if not to be used by the player after all? I dislike when a game fudges its internal mechanics so the idea that you do NOT get back what it took to build something is not entirely satisfactory.

A couple of compromise positions: (1) the resource amounts are reduced. Lets say, if the item used up 10 ingots of sathium you only get back 4 to 6 or something like that. This idea I like entirely; (2) the resources remain "locked inside" the factory. This idea I dont' like at all, but it is one thing . . .

Kassonnade and banksman45 like this.
  14. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

What I think would be cool is if we didn't have to leave a Planet for resource reasons except extremely rare resources. I feel like every survival game uses resources as a reason to do everything which is fine for normal survival games but a game like Empyrion which has Enemy Alien NPCs, Drones , Ai Controll ships I would think you could do more. I wished the devs would get more creative. . It would be cool if you had to leave your planet for Combat reasons. That if you didn't go to the Enemy Alien's Star system and fight them they would invade your Star system and take over your planet. That would make it a way more interesting. You could have updates every day on terrority map showing how many star systems have Enemy Aliens taken over and how close they are to your Star system. Could you imagine mining resources and building a ship while having to watch a Galaxy map to see how close a fleet of Alien NPCs are to your star system?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Kassonnade likes this.
  15. Niewitch

Niewitch Lieutenant

I cant spawn my CV. There is allways message "there is object in a spawn area". There aint any objects and platform is totally flat and way bigger than ship ???

banksman45 likes this.
  16. IronCartographer

IronCartographer Captain

Sounds like the makings of an interesting scenario. The base game is more of a sandbox (once you conquer the initial survival challenges posed by your starting location), but scenarios are being added with time... :)

IanX and banksman45 like this.
  17. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I don't know if you can create a Scenario that has AI fleets taking over star systems and finally working it's way to yours. It would be nice if that was possible but I think the devs would have to add something like that. Our galaxy map once it's turn on would have to be turned into a territory map and keep up with the progress of a AI fleet.
    Nothing says survival like working against a clock. Maybe you would get a couple of days to get your stuff built and prepared before an invasion . Maybe have an invasion clock on your screen. lol It's still a survival game but has a little more substance to it than the typical survival game .
    If it wasn't added to the base game then maybe another game mode. Just something to make Empyrion a little different than the typical mine for resources survive stuff then leave your planet to do the samething over and over. I feel like NPCs aren't much of a factor in this game, they do more defending than anything else. I would like to see them become more offensive and aggressive not just on a planetary level but on a solar system level. I'm just throwing that out there, I'm sure the devs already made their mind up on what they're going to do with NPCs and multiple galaxies

18. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Others are having the same issue.. Hummel said the The devs are working on solution for it.

19. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I was finally able to dock all of my CVs using the page up and page down keys to slowly lower my ship down until I hit the spawn point.
    I think until this feature is made a little easier there should be a tutorial on how to spawn larger CVs in because honestly if this was my first time playing this game, I would have no idea how to spawn in a CV. Now I did have to spend time finding a spot on my platform where the spawn box would flash green before I used the page down key to slow lower it down.

20. How do I disable this with single player offline yaml settings? Tried it, and don't like it. I dislike it so much that I've rolled the game back to 6.7.

I'm not necessarily opposed to a shipyard type of system, if making shipyards actually adds additional functionality to the game, and allows us to do stuff that we can't already do, such as repair ships according to blueprint specifications, as well as streamline some other features such as upgrading all steel blocks to combat steel for a cost + construction time, etc.

I'm looking for more features added to the game, not arbitrarily imposed limitations on stuff we could do previously. If this is a step toward a shipyard system, then you've already failed with your first step, because the community is pretty split over this. And as far as I know, I've got no way to turn off spawn limitations for single player.

You all should have waited on something like this until you actually had a functional shipyard system, and this would have been far better received. There is no need to rush out a change like this. You would have had me sold had you simply waited until you made shipyard mechanics that could repair ships according to blueprint specifications, which is something people have been asking for.

Reviews bombed into the 'mixed' category on steam since 7.0 dropped, and given what's occurred, I'm not really surprised. All I'm asking is for you to just be smarter about balancing changes, and don't rush out ideas as patches before they've come to fruition. Use experimental for that. You all totally rushed out the spawn limitations thing at the very last minute. That wasn't very bright. At least give us the option to disable this in single player offline for those of us who don't enjoy limitations imposed with no functional benefits.

I didn't put 200+ hrs in Empyrion because it's a good survival game. I like the game purely for it's sandbox elements. All I'm asking for is options to disable mechanics I don't like, and I'll be a happy camper with no complaints outside of really minor stuff. I didn't like repair/durability originally, but you put an option in the settings to disable that, so I got no complaints.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.