Alpha 8.5 - Feedback: New Status Effects Handling and Info

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Status Effects Update:
    - Using now better status effects for Shower and Survival Tent (set neutral body temp)
    - Added “WellFed” effect that slowly regenerates health if you have more than 485 food (Note: this is the current setting, we could change it to 85%). This effect is negated by Indigestion and Poison Food
    - Added count-down timer to status effect icon panels to show how long a status effect will remain active. If the effect has no time limit (e.g. Broken Leg), a message 'No time limit' will display
    - Added 'Radiation Immunity' effect. For a short time, radiation will not build up in the body
    - Added the possibility to suspend effects for a limited duration. For example, the new 'Poison Antidote'. This type of effect will temporarily suspend the negative effects of Poison Food (others to follow). The Poison will still be present in the body and its effect time will still count down, but no negative effect will be applied.
    - Added messages to inform players of when a particular effect will 'evolve' into a worse effect: "Dermal Parasite will evolve soon into Endo Parasite!"
    - Added several additional console commands for working with status effects (additional information, removal of a specific effect or all effects, effects attached to the player will also show the next stage, if applicable
    - Added possibility to attach particle effects to players when an effect is active (f.e. Fire now ignites the player model)
    - Added possibility to attach sound effects to players when an effect is active (f.e now you can hear the player burning if on fire)

2. xmacleod

xmacleod Lieutenant

I want to start with saying I've been playing for some time now and really enjoy nearly all of the changes that have happened so far with the game.

On this topic however, I'd like to voice my opinion against having the timer on negative status effects specifically. Positive effect timers I could do with or without, but one of my most intense survival events so far has come about due to the uncertainty of the negative status effects. It really is a boon to the experience to not know what bad thing is going to happen next (as well as not knowing if a thing is going to simply "go away" or not).

Let me relate a quick story in support of my opinion. A friend and I were on a Class 4 planet on a fairly new server. We had a base and an HV with a medbay, and only a couple of various med kits. We set out to a POI literally halfway around the globe from our base. Right at the beginning, I got a Poison Bite from an alien scorpion. Having few med kits and a medbay parked nearby, I decided to try and wait it out using the med bay for health regen. Unfortunately, the Poison Bite didn't go away. Instead, if memory of the details serves correctly, it turned into Sepsis. Now I know things are bad, so I pop one of our few med kits. This cured the sepsis, but left me with Fever Attacks. I had no cure for that, so I tried to wait it out while drinking a ton of water to keep my body temperature down. After several minutes and 5 heat strokes later, this didn't go away either, and next thing I knew I unexpectedly had Organ Failure. Initially, I emptied my inventory and armour to sorted boxes planning to die, but at near zero health I hit the medbay one more time. I decided I wasn't going to give up and die, and I drove my HV back to base across the globe in my veritable underwear, making frequent stops to hit the medbay up for what I could only imagine to be like dialysis. I made it back home, and needed to continue to live off of the HV medbay until I could put together resources and make an exam table to fix my organ failure.

Now that was a powerful gameplay experience to me, and it never would have happened if I knew exactly when and what would happen to my negative status effects.

How many others would miss out? Or am I a minority in enjoying this sort of gameplay?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Frigidman, RazzleWin and ECubed like this.
  3. elec

elec Ensign

I love the game and to make it even better i have a bit of feedback about that point.

I really like all these status effects and the ability to handle them. But due to the fact that you can respawn near the place of your death makes the whole part of the game meaningless.
    You got downed by an NPC or you have a broken bone or some other sickness? No problem just kill yourself and get another life for free. Get your stuff back with you player drone and everything is like nothing has happened.
    That's really not how it is meant to be from the game design, right?

At least give us a server/game option to disable the "respawn nearby"- option.

It is already so easy to make a own plausible respawn point. If you as a player are going on a critical mission you can just carry a clonemachine, a base starter block and a solar cell as well as a condensator. You can place these things anywhere you like and done is your legal respawn point.

(English is not my native language so please don't slap me in the face if my criticism sounds a bit too hard.)
    Thank you very much!

4. runlykhel

runlykhel Captain

Getting more than one effect per attack by the same alien is too much.

The whole point of this complicated injury/medical system becomes moot once you leave early levels.

@exmacleod it sounds like you had quite the adventure there, and I don't know if you are in minority or majority, but think about if you had to do this a few times; that is why others have gone the just die route or spawn in med packs, it gets old quick and is around only at the beginning levels, after which you have all the med packs you need either bought or built.

In my opinion to make this whole medical thing work throughout the game, not just early level, would be to simplify the list of effects, to only get one effect from each alien you were attacked by, and have the pharmaceuticals only do a holding action on the status until you could get to your medical machines (could even just be the med bay), or the effects could diminish over time, or each time you took a pharmaceutical.

Lol...at the very least could we have a medicinal spread sheet added to the PDA.:rolleyes: