Alpha 8 - AI: Animals & Troops

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Jun 11, 2018.

1. MrFubar

MrFubar Commander

I know i saw it in other threads but not sure if anyone posted it here, but the troops have a very small agro range, most of the time you can just shoot them with a sv without them firing back at all or the ones right next to them agroing, making it no risk even if there were 30 rocket troops i can just land stand on the top of my sv with a pulse rifle and pick them off one by one with no risk.

2. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

This all great and a great way forward but adding to this:

- Animals react to vessels and noise generation by turrets

I think it's also important to have:

- Animals react to Animals
    - Animals react to Zirax Patrols
    - Zirax Patrols react to Animals

And in general:

- More Animal diversity and spawn frequency
    - More Zirax diversity and spawn frequency
    - More Aliens diversity and spawn frequency

dichebach likes this.
  3. Ravis

Ravis Captain

Ai seems to be getting stuck in walls alot just around pois and unfortunately means they can "see" you and seem to be able to shoot through walls again. Both spiders bugs and troops.

dichebach likes this.
  4. MrFubar

MrFubar Commander

Please fix AI with regards to stairs, ramps and elevators. Right now you can stand at the top or bottom of a set of stairs and just pick off non ranged enemies at will since they cant go up the stairs or ramps.

Spiders should be able to climb anything even vertical surfaces, but all other enemies cant handle any type of constructed block at all, you can just stand there and pick them off with no risk at all. They need to be able to travel up ramps and stairs, some of the creature based enemies like those dog things the talon have should jump if a player has a jet pack why cant they naturally jump.

Things like scorpions should get stuck at an elevator or vertical wall but should still be able to handle ramps and stairs.
    Humanoid enemies like Zirax and even nightmares and assassins should be able to use the elevators as well as stairs and ramps right now the melee only nightmare and assassins are easy pickings if there is a ramp or stair near by.

The AI getting stuck in situations like this along with the short range of agro for patrols outside (able to shoot them without reaction or the rest of the group standing still as you kill them one by one) is one of the most glaring problems right now that everyone sees nearly every time they fight.

dichebach likes this.
  5. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Do you encounter certain NPC that cannot walk up ramps? I just tested some scenarios and some Nightmares came up the ramp.

Maybe it is NPCs that are on "Terrain" that do not walk up to a base block? (This is not possible atm)

6. MrFubar

MrFubar Commander

I know the talon and their creatures get stuck in talon village trying to exit their village onto the ground. I thought they got stuck on a ramp in the base also but could be wrong there.

I also remember scorpions getting stuck in the reactor poi while trying to walk up stairs, we were able to just stand at the top of the stairs and shoot through all of them 1 by one, without those stairs that group would have been a problem.

Not sure of others specifics, but I will keep an eye out to record the situations.

7. Ballard

Ballard Rear Admiral

In my last attempt, a couple days ago, the NPCs were still unable to come up stairs. I stood half way up the steps and slaughtered them mercilessly!

Abandon Mine - Scorpions and nightmares both

8. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Stairs or Ramps? Both are a bit different in terms of colliders.

So if you can find NPC XY cannot go up stairs, but ramps (wedge blocks, not the actual "ramps" that can be extended and retracted) this would help :)

9. Ballard

Ballard Rear Admiral

Abandon Factory. Enter that small side building that leads down some stairs to both a visible and a hidden spawner. As long as you stay on those stairs you are quite safe. I will let you know if I encounter a solid block ramp and how it goes.

10. RickyRockFish

RickyRockFish Ensign

Love the AI behavior of flee of fight but I have a bone to pick about pathing. Does pathing fall under this topic? If so we need to fix pathing it is really bad. with a little knowledge of AI pathing in this game you can do really hard content with starting minimal effort. I.E. how mobs to not climb or go up inclines. Do not cross POI boundaries.

11. Ebins

Ebins Ensign

With the 8.5 Alpha, I've found that it is very easy to kill prey. All you have to do is chase them towards a body of water and then they'll stand there and let you snipe them all. Found that out tonight when I was out xp farming.

12. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

That's odd as, for me at least, animals are running out into the water and wandering freely around the bottom of lakes! I've had the new Arachnids chase me all the way out into water, as well as a group of Talon Guardians.

They stop at the shore if I'm in my HV, but the moment I get out of the HV - standing on its roof - they dash after me. Their speed does not appear to be impacted by the water, so a swimming player would be at a major disadvantage.

Scoob.

13. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

Creatures def. needs to have 'base/POI' detector fixed, or something in collision boxes - even that little green bug can get stuck on 'wracked base'. When you shoot them some stay not moving, some unstuck and run away. At this moment I would like more if they could have 'no-go zone' around POIs and/or bases, then to move around like nothing is there.

When animals/creatures come toward base/POI they keep walking and then get stuck and clip with blocks. We have this unnecessary clipping problem for ever (and I hate 3D object hitting & clipping on each other, it's so immersion breaking in any game for me :))
    Make them avoid 'placement area', they don't 'attack' object anyway - make them turn 90 deg. when they hit 'zone', or move around it.

BTW, new Desert Worms are GREAT looking and this Pangolin should be aggressive beast (maybe you could change its name in Pagolin, 'cose pangolin is kinda real thing ;))

14. Ebins

Ebins Ensign

That's strange how it's different for us both. I was able to chase the duckbill flocks (forgot their ingame name) all the way to the water's edge and they just stand there as I snipe them from on top of my hv. The insects act the same, but normal otherwise away from water - they'll either flee or rush towards me. I have yet to have any predator chase me. I did come up against that new water mob a couple of times. Tried killing it but when it gets low in health it flees into the water pretty fast.

15. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Yeah a bit odd for sure. I've not tried with any other critters yet - so just the Talon Guardians and Arachnid - but I think this might be tweaked in the next Experimental update.

Scoob.

16. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

The groups of troops are really good.

I never know when to expect them so they catch me off guard sometimes when i get to a location, the first times even more so XD

I like to dismount my vessel and trade small arms fire with them. especially the ones hiding in wooded areas.
    Good fun.

The critter behaviour is awesome, I keep finding alien bug 1 near my base, i must have spawned it in a fav place for them :p or they like my base, always on my front or rear porch gesturing to me.
    I like to play with the spider ai, its so much better than what it was, teasing them sometimes and them teasing me lol.

I did have 1 instance where a player on my server was chased out into the ocean from land by a predatory critter that should not have been able to but i cannot for the life of me remember what critter it was.

dichebach likes this.