Alpha 8 - New food and food-item drop system

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

Whatever happened to being able to plant native plants from the biome you are in into the ground? Running around looking for stuff is grindy. It would be nice to be able to make a little farm on land. By the time I can afford the resources to craft the wooden plots I am mobile and only run off of temporary bases until I can set up a main base near higher tier resources. There doesn't seem to be much incentive to invest in non-metal plots until you get a CV.

Ephoie likes this.
  2. SmaugBR

SmaugBR Lieutenant

Hi!

I've been stockpiling Spiled Food. Now in Alpha 8, all I can do with it are Growing Plots. Could we have another use for Spoiled Food, like when it was possible to produce BioFuel using it?

...but I like the idea of using Plant Fibers to produce BioFuel, specially at the beggining of a game. I wouldn't like this recipe to be removed either... So... how can you help me solve this? :)

Ephoie likes this.
  3. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

One possible solution is to switch biofuel production back to spoiled food, and introduce a recipe to convert fiber to spoiled food. What I've been using in my custom config file is 1 fiber -> 4 spoiled food, and 40 spoiled food -> 1 biofuel. Biofuel then still costs 10 fiber, and growing fiber for biofuel is still incentivized.

Ephoie and StyxAnnihilator like this.
  4. MrFubar

MrFubar Commander

We really need a way to grow buds, that seems to be the one thing we cannot get any other way then traveling back to a temperate planet to search for it.

5. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Agreed. By the time we've reached the end of the tech tree, we should definitely be able to produce emergency rations with only energy, water, and rock dust as inputs.

6. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

That's great for a singleplayer game but it is bad for a multiplayer game where people thrive on a working and diverse economy.

7. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Not necessarily. Fundamentally, an economy is based on the exchange of goods. There are opportunity costs associated with producing and buying goods. So, even if you could produce everything yourself, you might not always choose to for any number of reasons.

mR_kAt likes this.
  8. Aulus

Aulus Ensign

I think it would have been interesting if you had let all the plants provide ingredients specific to the plant but changed the recipe to take all of one type of ingredient. Like wheat and corn would give you wheat or corn but to make bread you can use either because they are both grain. This provides the same goal of allowing you to have plants unique to each world but allow all good to be crafted no matter where you are without removing the realism of what you get off of a plant.

Ian Einman, mR_kAt and MrFubar like this.
  9. Ballard

Ballard Rear Admiral

I also like to make those e-rations, and I would love to be able to grow buds.

>>>---> Okay, it is time for me to speak truth to Power! We all need to make a sacrifice when it comes to farming.

In the later game when we grow crops, it very quickly comes to a point where we have fridges lining the walls, stuffed full of foodstuffs. I feel that when collecting any goods, whether in the wild or at home, we should never get more than one (1) each with each pull. Getting 4 grain, fiber, veggies or anything else soon results in a massive surplus. I also would not mind if the grow time was longer.

Food drop suggestion - never more than one (1) item per harvest, per plant.

As always with my suggestions, I feel this might be a game set up option. It could be a simple "Food Harvest Quantity - hard, medium, bury me under grain!"

mR_kAt and geostar1024 like this.
  10. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

My thoughts EXACTLY. I hope they can recode the templates to allow MORE than one set of recipes to make a given item. The way they are doing it now is silly and is hard coded into the system, making it a headache for sever admins and modders alike.

11. Ballard

Ballard Rear Admiral

This could be as simple as 'spoofing' the interface aspect of the system. The item might have a name, and icon that says 'wheat', or 'oats' or what have you. But they are classed as "Grain" and then will be used by any recipe seeking grains. In this way several unique items might fit the class requirements for a recipe. If possible then this could have wide ranging impact on the various crafting system through out the game.

Considering some of the hints dropped by Eleon on this forum, I suspect they are already planning something along this line. After all, they did say the current system is a temporary work around.

mR_kAt likes this.
  12. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Sure, but this simply isn't possible until multi-template recipes are implemented.

Agreed. I liked that some wild plants now only drop 1 vegetable or grain, as does farmable spice; right now it's trivial to get set up to eat ratatouille all the time (one of the best foods in 8.0) with just a few grow plots.

Ballard likes this.
  13. MrFubar

MrFubar Commander

I know one of my friends was very disappointed that corn dogs were not a thing anymore. They were all set to make their corndog stand and only got plant protein. I would like to see the variety go back up too, not every planet needs to have every plant but as long as they have something that makes the recipes its fine, some planets might have the oranges, others a different fruit with a different looking plant, as long are all types of fruit can be used to make fruit pie we are good, and it helps make each type of planet seem unique and alien.

In addition right not it seems like every type of plant wants temperate standard yellow sun environment, and you either need to grow them indoors in an oxygenated room with grow lights or on a temperate planet outside.

Those planets with no atmosphere have plants outside, why are there not native plants to each environment type, like snow berries that can grow in the arctic temperature and their atmosphere, or some type of weird plant that lights the heat of a lava planet etc. You should have different plants that require different conditions to grow. We would need some way to adjust the environment of a grow room for indoors but it would be cool to have to keep one room for my space oranges which like a lower temperature and less o2, and a different one for my corn for example. Maybe allow the ventilator to adjust temperature and o2 level for a room. It would also allow growing out doors on other planets than the starters if you used the right type of plants for that planet.

mR_kAt and Ballard like this.
  14. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

It should require bread like in previous versions. ;3

15. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

In our faction on the MP server I was "Bud( or Butt)-hunting" on a daily basis. No Problem with that as regrowth was quite fast. So plucking 100 plant-arses from the ground in 1 h was an easy task and not boring at all. No need for a land of milk and honey;)

mR_kAt likes this.
  16. SmaugBR

SmaugBR Lieutenant

That would be perfect. :)

17. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Wait, ratatouille doesn't require bread. . . .

18. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

Nope, however I altered it in the config to contain bread. :p

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  19. SmaugBR

SmaugBR Lieutenant

Devs, please! :) I'd really like to be able to make Biofuel again using spoiled food and having the plan B of using Plant Fibers :) Thanks ^_^

20. ArthurDent

ArthurDent Lieutenant

the actual yield for pumpkin is 4 and not 6 as the tooltip says, for oranges its 4 and not 8 as stated in tooltip.
    had been using the tooltip info to plan a farm and came up short on produce. so back to the drawing board i guess.