Alpha 8 - Repair to Template

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Jun 12, 2018.

1. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Yes, this is what a lot of us have been asking for, given the similarities between R2T and the personal factory.

2. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I agree. It should be simple to do this in the code as a convenience operation.

Please @Hummel-o-War , consider. Don't just dismiss it as 'its a template, not blueprint'.

3. ☣.C.H.U.D.☣

☣.C.H.U.D.☣ Captain

Yup that’s basicly what I think also like posted
    Make them all templates instead of BPs and you could make a shipyard with the repair station or of another item of your choice

4. Sayak

Sayak Ensign

I have a lot of trouble repairing huge and complicated CVs due to "Area is obstructed"

BakerAble likes this.
  5. Aerdred

Aerdred Ensign

I... don't know what this means; is this an issue we can expect to be fixed/addressed soon?

6. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Ok, then > although it seems Templates are the same tech as Blueprint, the handling internally is different. That's why blueprints are still in a remote window factory and templates are integral part of the game. The tech we added for templates might lead to real "factories" but, apart from the handling (Think of BP Parts, Workshop etc) there are a lot of additional GUI aspects to be considered. This is very likely a topic of a major patch. ;)

7. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    ipad autocorrect > will be fixed, eg. already is in 8.1

geostar1024 likes this.
  8. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Hmm, based on this I'm going to guess that however templates are handled internally is much more conducive to some kind of diff operation that returns the blocks that need replacing. I'd further guess that blueprints will have to get converted to templates in order for shipyard functionality to get added to the repairbay console.

9. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I think whats being overlooked here, is the obvious.

Person spawns ship in.
    Person clicks some button somewhere to 'save template for repairing'.​

vs:

Person spawns ship in.
    Computer internally clicks some button somewhere to 'save template for repairing'.​

Really, its all objects and methods, how hard can it be to have the computer click the button after spawn, than bothering the user to do it?

dichebach and MrFubar like this.
  10. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Just because it is a similar approach in the Frontend, this does not mean we did not go to lengths to make this work in the code :D

No worries, i think the blueprints will be added as "ingame factory build" and all this stuff with shipyards has a good chance to get done - but one step after the other, plz.

dichebach likes this.
  11. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

I think there's two different things being discussed here: having the ship's template saved upon spawning it in (versus having to manually click it in the control panel), and being able to change the blueprint of a ship after spawning it in. The first seems like a simple thing to do (hopefully?), while the second, as per your comments, will take nontrivial time to do.

12. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

I like the new repair mechanic for SV's and HV's.

I am finding I like it less for CV's, and I'd like to suggest it hasn't been done in the right way. Landing a CV on a base to fix it is kind of a crazy requirement. I do know you can build a base in space, which works, but there's something about this workaround that seems cheesy. If I can mount a mysterious block on a base that shoots out a beam to repair the ship, why can't I just point that same beam at the base itself to repair the base, or install it on the CV to repair the CV?

I think that for CV what is needed instead of the repair bay is "repair drones" which is a block that you install. When you access the repair console you then are given a choice of which repair bay or drones you want to use (which vehicle to repair). You can then repair the CV itself and this is visually indicated by a drone (like your personal drone) that flies around and shoots a beam at various blocks to repair them. You could even watch this drone do its work.

Then the repair drones can be available not just for CV, but also for BA. As it stands now you can build a 3x3 block floating base in space that can repair a gigantic CV, but there's no way to repair a base even if the base is far smaller than your CV.

Atola, BakerAble, SacredGlade and 2 others like this.
  13. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    - The Repair beam has a range of 8m.
    - You do NOT need a platform to park a large vessel for repair BUT if the vessel is not parked ABOVE the virual "ground layer" of the "repair area", eg tilted a bit so that parts of it might be below that plane, Repair will not start.

14. paxxo1985

paxxo1985 Commander

When i leave playfield in MP the repair will stop. I need to restart the repair. I play in a heavy pvp server and sometimes repair takes an hour or more. I need to stay in the base ONE HOUR because repair otherwise will shut down (94%intact - 6%damaged class 7 capital vessel) and need to be restarted the countdown from zero. If the repair will require 8hours i need to waste my game time near the ship?

This is so FRUSTRATING

Possible solution: speed up the repair 100x or 1000x or manage the repair stuff differently without requiring to stay in the same playfield

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  15. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

It sounds like repairs need the same remote treatment that constructors got, and that periodic checkpointing of repairs that replace blocks (save progress and update ship state every 10 minutes or so) is needed.

BakerAble, SacredGlade and MrFubar like this.
  16. MrFubar

MrFubar Commander

I like this idea, it would solve being able to repair a base to template also. The only thing I would add is make the weapons and thrusters go offline during a repair, this way you cant do a repair while in combat.

Combine this with the ability for repair to keep going when not near the playfield mentioned by others, like constructors function now, and just auto click that save template button when a blueprint is first spawned and I think everyone would be happy with the state of repairing.

The only other thing repair wise i can think is having the T1 repair bay be able to do a repair to template for level 10 SV and HV or less, this way someone who has a starter prefab sv or hv isn't trying to figure out how to rotate the blocks right to figure out how to fix it or destroying it and rebuilding it in factory as happens now. Those low tier prefabs take the most damage because they are made of normal steel.

dichebach likes this.
  17. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I always thought a slurry of 'mini-drones' pouring out of a repair bay block and buzzing around a ship virtually fixing it would be sweet eye candy. The drones wouldn't need substance, no collision detection, and dont really need to be accurate moving from damaged block to block... just a visual 'buzzing bees' sort of thing would be nifty.

But I do agree for some situations... having a 'target this ship' sort of console choice... where you can pick any ship within like 50m of the block (up down, below sideways, tilted, whatever)... it would then send the drones to repair 'that' ship.

18. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Got to be one of the most desired features of the whole development history, and sure to be a crowd pleaser!

Eleon, you never cease to amaze!

ADDIT: and yes, as others have said, a "Repair to Template" functionality for BASES would be INCREDIBLE!!

19. SacredGlade

SacredGlade Captain

Got to agree with others, reoairs should continue whike offline or away from playfield or repair bay.

And the nice to have drones repairing ship effect would be cool

BakerAble, paxxo1985 and dichebach like this.
  20. paxxo1985

paxxo1985 Commander

I tested another thing. Started repair to template (20 minutes).
    Waited 5 minutes.
    Moved from base to POI at 5km distance in the SAME PLAYFIELD (space)
    Did the poi in 5/8minutes.
    Returned to base.
    Repair was stopped and ship not repaired to template.
    This need to be addressed ASAP.
    Really is a FRUSTRATING thing. My friend needed to repair the ship and repair to template says 2h. He quitted.

Empyrion Galactic Waiting

Need to be setted up max time for repair something like 5-10 minutes like before. Is a game damn.
    I need to go now, i need to babysit my cv repair.

BakerAble and dichebach like this.