Backwards server compatibility

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by plainsight, Oct 14, 2022.

1. plainsight

plainsight Ensign

I'm sure a lot of players feel the same.

Want a suggestion? Backwards build compatibility with server. I completely understand the major updates, but when you get these hotfixes which are just bytes to update, why change the version number and make it completely incompatible with server and lock players out. When you question why administrators don't just update right away? Its called life, having a job and other things to do which doesn't always afford the time to wait around for every minor update.

2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Some builds are, but most of the time both client and server need to be on the same version. That's up to the server admins to update and the players playing on the server to have some patience.

3. Ronewird

Ronewird Commander

just put the previus version on the server on steam game propriety betas. So we can still ply the game when we are waiting for the upgrade od the server. Just the VERY LAST VERSION of the game. Is not a question to be patient, is just to put the last version on the option so we can revert and keep playing, is not the end of the world.

4. Fenra369

Fenra369 Commander

Honestly I'm ok with this. Unless Eleon wants to decouple client and server versions (bad idea), it's just easier to do it this way. As a server renter/owner you have more than enough tools to automate your server updates so you don't actually need to do anything. Your admin simply needs to learn how to use the tools available to them.