Blocks and Devices wish list

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Siege Inc., May 27, 2017.

1. WolfEyes

WolfEyes Captain

Um... I already do that. lol Well, I usually have to put more than one because I use the airtights to seal off "engine rooms" on ships and bases and other such potentially hazardous areas. Sometimes I will seal off the cockpit as well. That's the sort of thing that was done in the scifi books I read growing up so I tend to follow the old school way of doing things. And I usually place my ventilators between rooms, but sometimes I forget until I'm almost finished with the build and have to place them in ceilings.

I didn't intend to get rid of the non-airtights, just separate them from the airtights and give us the same styles for both. Sometimes I need a see through door that is airtight and sometimes I need a solid door that is not airtight. Heck they don't even need to separate them really, but if they don't, it might cause some ( or a lot) of disgruntled posts by players because they thought they had put in an airtight and it wasn't. :oops:

So, sorry about the misunderstanding there. :)

2. ion_storm

ion_storm Captain

Separate them like Windows and Armored Windows...

Sephrajin and WolfEyes like this.
  3. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

My current wishlist:

Devices
    • More sizes of solar panels. I'd like the large ones to have a 4x4 flat version, and also one that is 4x4 angled at 45 degree slope.
    • Add an alternate version of refrigerators, armor lockers, and O2 stations that is flat so it fits flush with the wall. I have a hard time making a sleek looking SV with an armor locker in the side of it. The mobile constructor doesn't have this problem.
    • Support beams: Should be possible to create a beam out of sathium or zascosium that comes in different lengths - 12, 16, 20, 24 - and has the following property - if both ends are supported with 100% structural integrity, the entire beam is at 100% structural integrity, thus putting some across the middle of the building can help build larger open structures without putting columns in the middle of it.
    • Cockpit blocks with windows in the bottom of them or that are designed to allow more of a downward view - take a look at helicopters like a black hawk, you can see what is below you - kind of useful when you're trying to do a vertical landing
    • T2 RCS for SV and HV - odd that we have like 10 variants of thrusters but no improved RCS
    • Higher level mobile constructors that have fewer limitations on what they can build - I should be able to build a nice HV using only my SV constructor, or vice versa - or build all the parts I need for a base
    • Armored cockpit blocks
    • Combat steel blocks for HV
    • Better fuel tanks and O2 tanks for HV & SV (larger versions that hold more, like there are for bases)
    Blocks

These are the limitations I encounter most commonly. The first three I think are really important and a lot of people have probably encountered the need for them, but I didn't know how to explain them well so I drew pictures below.
    • Corner blocks to join ramp blocks in outward corners (see below)
    • Corner blocks to join ramp blocks in inward corners (see below)
    • Corner blocks to join slop blocks in inward corners (see below)
    • I will call a wall block that is rotated so that the wall is on top a "ceiling" block for now - need a block that is a ceiling block merged with "cylinder thin" - used both as a beam to support the ceiling of large structures, and also so that you can hang it down from the ceiling and mount a light (right now you can't mount lights on a thin ceiling)
    • A block that is equal to 1/4 of a cube (basically a half block, again sliced in half so it looks like a thick beam) - used to join two sides when you're building an outer wall using half-blocks
    • A block that is equal to 1/8 of a cube (a mini-cube so to speak, that is half the width of a full cube) - used to join corners when you're building an outer wall using half-blocks
    • A block that is like a half block with a "ramp bottom C" on top of it
    • The logical inverse of that (which is like a half-block with a "ramp bottom C" carved out of it)
    • A wall block in the shape of a quarter circle (used as a "cap" for "Round Corner Thin" and "Round Slope Thin" etc.)
    • A block with the size of a "beam" but cylinder shape (basically like one of the cylinders in the "Cylinder Fence" block)
    • A block like "Cylinder Fence" except cut in half (so it has only half the cylinders) - used as pipes, or as half a cylinder fence
    • A solution for building 45 degree walls - if you turn a "Slope Thin" on its side, you can use that as a wall, but you cannot join two of them together smoothly because there's a notch out of it. That could be fixed if there was a block the size of "Beam" chopped at a 45 degree angle.
    upload_2018-6-20_23-18-9.png

4. WolfEyes

WolfEyes Captain

That last one? There is a block to fill that space. The one on the bottom in the middle is also one of the existing blocks.

The one for the last image will be the second block in the top row. (Cut Corner) The bottom middle is the first one on the fourth row. (Ramp Wedge Top) The corner in the first image is the one we need.

Of course, my eyes could be playing tricks on me but check those two and see if they aren't the correct ones.

5. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

I don't think any of them exist, but I'm at work now so I can't double-check. The problem with my pictures is that your brain can "misinterpret" which way is in, and which way is out, so it might be hard to see the problem. I'm not an artist but I will try to render this:

upload_2018-6-21_12-24-28.png

The red represents the back side of the cube that you cannot see. A cut corner has flat 45 degree sides, but it is flat on top. An inward corner would also have 45 degree sides but is not flat on top, instead the two 45 degree sloped sides meet together in a crease. Take the "Corner Long A" block, and imagine cutting that shape out of a sold block (logically inverting it) - THAT is the shape that is needed.

Put mathematically, if the back bottom corner vertext is (0, 0, 0) and the back top corner vertex is (0, 0, 1), we need a shape that has an edge going directly from (0, 0, 1) to (1, 1, 0), instead of an edge going from (0, 1, 1) to (1, 1, 0). That shape can be used to make an inverted pyramid which can be useful both right-side up to join two roof slopes at a 90 degree angle, or used upside down to build an inverted pyramidal ceiling which is where I usually need it and have to settle for the cut corner which is ugly because it doesn't join them right.

And the other corners I proposed are basically half-slope variants of these same things (to be paired with the 26.6 degree angle ramp blocks) . They aren't useful only for buildings though, I've also wanted them for ships. I think some of them have been requested by others before but got lost in the shuffle.

The ramp corner blocks were in this guy's proposal:

https://empyriononline.com/threads/waysons-new-block-shapes.11187/

(I like a lot of these by the way, and I really wish block shapes were moddable or extensible somehow so people could submit new ones.)

Half block corner is also in these:

https://empyriononline.com/threads/when-are-we-getting-our-missing-block-shapes.35956/
    https://empyriononline.com/threads/missing-half-corner-block.29962/

I've seen them more than once and I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs them.

6. WolfEyes

WolfEyes Captain

@Ian Einman
    I did say my eyes could be playing tricks on me. :p

The drawings are a much better perspective.

The two blocks I mentioned are there where I noted they are located. I checked before posting. The cut corner is there but the one you drew next to it isn't.

There are a lot of "missing" blocks I'd like to see in the game, instead of having to redesign and redesign and redesign and then finally giving up because the blocks you need just aren't there and then having to scrap the build completely because it just isn't going to happen. :(

7. Seven Strikes

Seven Strikes Ensign

Please make an upgraded Ore Scanner & Detector all inclusive. Saves 1 inventory slot and upgrades scanner distances.

Ore Scanner (T2)
    Max Range 2,000

Will show underground ore rocks within
    a range of 40-50m.

Tryst likes this.
  8. TrashMan

TrashMan Commander

Walkways you can paint symbols on.
    Walkways that are walkway+railing combo (one side, L shape and two sides). Yes, I know you can place the railing in he air next to it, but that takes up 2 blocks of volume and is ankward, especially for smaller designs

ion_storm and ITguy1981 like this.
  9. LeVentNoir

LeVentNoir Captain

Space solar panels:

Give them real sizes such as, 10x6x1 (or even 15x9x1 !). However, also give them a property that they have zero structural integrity and thus can only be placed on space bases.

Basically, I want a *huge* solar panel array, and 15 5x3 panels don't stack up to "look right" given the size of a base such as the Haast-Crowsnest. Besides, far from planets, a fully solar base should be an option.

Siege Inc. and spacefarmer like this.
  10. ITguy1981

ITguy1981 Captain

I would like to see doors that are only airtight when they are closed. I think it would be nice to have air loss when doors are open. This would make use of actually making and using airlocks.

11. ITguy1981

ITguy1981 Captain

It would be nice to have walkways with railing on one side and both. I dislike having to use two or three block spaced depending on if the railing is against the wall or like a bridge.

WolfEyes likes this.
  12. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

- What noone liked? I guess noone understood.

I think what @cLAy_piGeon wanted to say is this:
    Please let the HV constructors craft all REQUIREMENTS to 'make' a hover.
    Likewise, let the SV constructors craft all REQUIREMENTS to 'make' a SV work properly.

And by 'make' I mean to make the item to replace the missing one of the vehicle.

Say, you explore with your warp-capable starter SV for the very first time a new planet...
    Now, for some reason *cough lagshot cough* your warp engine exploded, luckily you have a SV constructor…. oh wait….
    Well, despite having the mats at hand, go build a base first!

Oh and.. .yes some blocks are missing, but some are not.. and i'd like to have a 'transition' block (for those 2 on the demo-wall)

20180629004335_1.jpg

ion_storm, Germanicus and WolfEyes like this.
  13. WolfEyes

WolfEyes Captain

I use those big heavy armored doors for airlocks. ;)

14. WolfEyes

WolfEyes Captain

I think there are a couple more transition blocks that are missing. I'd do up an image like you (wonderful idea! works perfectly) did but I just don't have that much time for the next few days. I discovered them missing by accident. Now if I could just remember which blocks I was working with at the time. lol

Sephrajin likes this.
  15. zingo7

zingo7 Lieutenant

Ohhh this was the thread!

Think i made this for nulls oh well

https://empyriononline.com/threads/bits-and-bolts.38564/

Anyhow how far are we in these blocks making a reality?

Also we really need blocks that connect existing blocks- not all blocks connect them- In pallet we have like a separate directory- only few connecting blocks.

Is there a reason this is delayed? AFAIK the triangle lag has been long fixed and there is no more bottleneck in physics renderer- You can have all the blocks in voxel you can!

[​IMG]

Ofc it will be some time before we can make a replica of something like this(curved blocks etc next level, angled blocks, incline blocks etc)- but we really need the basic stuff! :)

Tryst likes this.
  16. Tryst

Tryst Captain

I would love to see a decent block editor so we can design our own blocks. If it also allowed us to upload the designs as a collection to the workshop, others could benefit from the designs you make.

eLLe and WolfEyes like this.
  17. TrashMan

TrashMan Commander

Siege Inc. and Germanicus like this.
  18. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Siege Inc. likes this.
  19. TrashMan

TrashMan Commander

No, 3-barreled. I need that mighty feeling of BIG GUN.

Siege Inc. likes this.
  20. ITguy1981

ITguy1981 Captain

Great idea for blocks. Many times I have started building a base with a unique shape and then get to a corner and find there is no transition block to pull the two sides together. If you make a square and then use ramp blocks from each side there are no ramp blocks for the corners.

ion_storm likes this.