Blocks and Devices wish list

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Siege Inc., May 27, 2017.

1. ITguy1981

ITguy1981 Captain

I think it would be nice to have different types of enclosed elevator blocks so we don't have to waste a block spaces around the elevator block closing it in.

2. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Siege Inc. likes this.
  3. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Or, at least have the option of force fields for them.

4. zingo7

zingo7 Lieutenant

Hehe and here i was requesting elevator block like 2 years ago? :D

Bdw which Dev is in charge of adding blocks?

5. Xzanron

Xzanron Lieutenant

My biggest wish for blocks is to make a clear distinction about what is a block and what is a fixture.

Blocks take up space and you cannot have one in the same space (cube) as another. Fixtures don't take up a "block" space and are instead mounted on surfaces, and can be mounted anywhere on a surface! 4 switches in a row, with a light below them and an LCD panel above them and a potted plant in front of them.

One of the most frustrating things I had to learn when I first started building was to make everything much bigger than I considered "proper" so that I'd have space for lights etc, or having to pull down a ceiling because I'd made it too low for the grow lights and the plants to both be there.

Even now I still need to rebuild entire sections of a base because I happened to use a wall (because that's all I wanted) instead of solid block, which I needed to use to ensure I had enough space for a light or switch and that wasn't floating in mid-air.

zztong and Ballard like this.
  6. EstebanLB01

EstebanLB01 Lieutenant

Can we have the texture to fill that square with the same pattern? Also, oposite angle for the other yellow stripes textures
    [​IMG]

7. rkthomson

rkthomson Ensign

I'd like to see "pop-up turrets". The ability to "hide" sentry guns or other weapons inside a shutter door, and have the door open and the weapon move into position when activated. It would need to take up 2 blocks with one internal and one external.
    -Resting State: Gun is inside the "internal" block hidden by the shutter door. Outside the shutter door is an unusable block.
    -Active State: The shutter door opens and the gun moves outside filling the "external" block.

I've seen a number of CV's and bases that could greatly benefit from this. For example, having a luxury home, without guns surrounding everyone unless they are activated, in which case they all pop into position. I'd say do something simpler like a sentry gun as the sole option to start, and then expand the options if it's popular.

EstebanLB01 likes this.
  8. jd1969

jd1969 Lieutenant

I wish we could rotate and place the blocks by 45°, that would be awesome!
    And more round blocks so we can built nice Towers.
    And all Basic blocks in thin and half too.
    All shapes of Basic blocks for Windows too :) thats all for the Moment :D

Builting with Windows can get very frustrating sometimes :( - I do not mean my Operation System :rolleyes:

Edit: I like those new Windows you added, forgot how you called them. Sealed?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Germanicus likes this.
  9. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Are there fewer corner and special blocks now (Alpha 8.1.1 1743) than in previous builds of the game?

I built myself a new CV and made the top sloping using the Ramp Top and Ramp Bottom, but then I could not figure out any of the corners that were suitable.

Here is the corner in question:
    [​IMG]

Here is the closest fitting corner block I could find.
    [​IMG]

Suggestion: give the block type/ shape name with the multi-tool when you point at it; at least in Creative mode.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    =NeO= likes this.
  10. That shape hasn't been in game yet, and we've been asking.
    No shapes have ever been removed after being added that I'm aware. Nothing was removed with 8.0

dichebach likes this.
  11. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Cool, thanks bro.

I _DO_ seem to recall there being some corner/edge type blocks in a previous build where, you could right click the block in the first menu pane, and it gave you second menu specific to THAT block with a couple options so that you could make it right-handed or left-handed . . . I forget which specific block it was. It almost seems like there were a couple of blocks that had that kind of functionality. I couldn't find it in the current menu . . .

Granted, this could be faulty memory on my part. But I DEFINITELY had the impression coming back to the game after a long hiatus (six months?) that the menu on the basic blocks were simpler. I seem to recall that there were previously two pages, the second one was not a full page but it had some stuff on it.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  12. zingo7

zingo7 Lieutenant

I have to agree to above posts- we lacking some crucial blocks!

These are my headaches- and i mean literally! I stand there for 5 minuted figuring how to make it pretty with the shapes i have. If you have lots of such places after an hour you feel lightheaded and dizzy- from all the thinking out the box- to make a defect into an effect!

These are my biggest headaches:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The question I have! Why there is nothing being done about this? Who is in charge of new block types? I know for a fact i requested some of the blocks 2 years ago! I'm not sure making these needed blocks is very complicated and it'll brake the engine- no way. If someone says that that's an excuse.

13. dichebach

dichebach Captain

I've always thought that the most ingenious use of their programmer/artists time would be to create a "blend block" type. Basically, you select this block type, then you select the face of an existing block, then the face of up to two more additional blocks and it renders a smooth plane between those two or three existing planes! My trigonometry is a bit rusty, but I vaguely recall doing equations that were not unlike this . . . as a bonus, the block could have two settings: render intersects with curvature or with angular points: basically do you want the blended zone to have sharp edges or rounded edges.

Not an easy thing to do I'm sure, but given such things exist in lots of graphical applications it is obviously doable. Hell, ANYTHING involving pixels is doable with a computer!

Seems like this one thing would solve a LOT of problems.

14. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

A piston type “Lift” block with option to extend 1, 2, or 3 block heights.

Will need CV, BA, SV and HV varieties as these would be incredibly useful in many situations.

Just a few things these could be used for:

Vehicle lift rack to repair under vehicles.

Lift to raise weapons turrets.

Raise or lower landing gear.

Change heights of mining lasers.

Grandirus likes this.
  15. TrionWolf

TrionWolf Ensign

Pistons and rotors for sure

16. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Kind of surprising that they have yet to do things like pistons given how obviously influenced they were by Minecraft.

Sir Winston likes this.
  17. Grandirus

Grandirus Commander

- Harvest things with mouse when the "Hand" icon is selected. It will speed up harvesting.
    - Sorting of inventory items.
    - Fuel for bike (or it consumes O2? hehehe).

EDIT1: - Maybe the "Eletronics" icon should be some Integrated Circuits, Resistors, Capacitors, Transistors. It will be cool :D

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  18. jd1969

jd1969 Lieutenant

but even if we had the right blocks for that, we could not place them because of the other blocks are blocking the space! - what also have to be changed...

19. WolfEyes

WolfEyes Captain

With the correct shapes there won't be any bounding boxes blocking the placement. There is another thread where this is demonstrated but I can't be arsed to dig it up this early on a Saturday morning.

[​IMG]

I haven't gotten to #4.................................................................................... yet. ;)

jd1969 likes this.
  20. ttr

ttr Ensign

This came up with different topic, but relate to this one much more. Also, I've tried to quickly read va all 13 pages of this thread but I might missed some points, so apologies if some of those where posted.

- portable constructors are OP IMHO as they work for free - I would suggest to make them work day only (as in built in solar panel) and painfully slow to add some realism and complexity, while you could drop in power cell/biofuel to restore normal functionality (but that fuel will last for quite a long) - on many games I do 2-3 of them, place them in begin are of game and drop wood/ore to be processed for free, while I do other stuff (and my constructor in HV is disabled to save power). In fact I'm using them also in mid/late game in same way - process ore in my base so not using too much power when I do not need. Alternative is that they are hand-crank (you need to use stamina and time to wind them up) or use fuel.
    - internal/suit constructor falls into same issue for me as above - at least it could use stamina when we're crafting anything
    - did not play with furnace but as I understand it just manufacture ingots quicker and use more power. Would be more sense to also create bit more ingots ? It would work in way that constructors are way less efficient (especially the portable one) so they are more wasteful
    - can we add base/CV block that can harvest atmosphere and slowly replenish o2 tanks (unless there is one and I missed it) - fans placed externally could work like this?
    - can power ammo be rechargeable in some station (eg repair station) - they will use power from base and take long time
    - fuel for bike and possibility of using pistol/rifle while on bike (bit of GTA style but could save in some situations)
    - (sudo) conveyor system - in simple way, if next to producer you have a certain block (storage,fridge,ammo box) it would move produced end-product from constructor/food procesor to it. More advanced would be filtering system on container - obviously if enabled said container will use more power
    - timer logical gateway (trigger single signal or switch from 0 to 1 and back every x second) - so I've tried to build one using SR and delay but this caused "loop error" - I've accidentally to manage to make one using door and delay signal, but now I have door that open/close every few seconds. Why? Approaching lights, nice flashing lights on my turret tower/landing pads - or just fancy directional moving light (you would be surprised how much fun you can have with a single door and 200 flare lights at 3am :p)
    - deconstructor (i think was mentioned) - current workaround is BP very small HV and I'm putting all not needed tools/devices to BP and create one and then salvage all blocks (the moment when You realize you have 2 storage boxes of this crap...)
    - drones (pre-designed) - this might be good only for SP - but having ability of drone-port (CV/BA) and create small drones that will automatically haul cargo to/from auto-miners AND small support(mini gun) drone for protection of transport ones OR assisting player (help for mid/late game)

Grandirus likes this.