BlockShapes Menu and new Shapes

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, May 14, 2019.

1. Jeffglobal

Jeffglobal Commander

@sulusdacor, suggested this block (and many others...):
    [​IMG]
    Update 5.7.2019: Whoa, I've gotten way better...I apologize for whatever the heck this was...but I tried hard, I promise...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  2. RhodeKill

RhodeKill Commander

Jeffglobal FTW! Your 3d models are awesome and I'm sure make the block shape suggestions that much easier to implement. Thanks for going the extra mile for all of us!

Jeffglobal and RazzleWin like this.
  3. Jeffglobal

Jeffglobal Commander

@spanj , suggested railings for the 2x1 stairs, on a "chillin' and building' stream," but so far, I've only modeled the stairs...I was surprised, you have stairs, but no railing! Safety, not first!
    Here are the stairs, I was almost was successful pulling the textures off the in game assets.
    [​IMG]

baddkarma74 likes this.
  4. Maverick241

Maverick241 Captain

It took me a while to make it. Screenshot 2019-06-26 18.31.28.png

Sephrajin likes this.
  5. Jeffglobal

Jeffglobal Commander

Cool, Idr seeing that block before, I'll make it today... I wanted to add some motion tracking and simulations to my mock ups, can't decide whether fire or water..., but looks like some things I still need to relearn better. I'll make your icon crack and explode.:rolleyes:

Maverick241 likes this.
  6. Our Grid

Our Grid Captain

THIS!

First up, Thank You for all the new blocks Yay!

Honestly, we need more blocks that allow transition from 45 o angle blocks to the 30/60 o angle blocks. Like the post I quoted above, we need a way to terminate a 45 o wall next to a 30 or 60 o wall.

Thanks!

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ likes this.
  7. Jeffglobal

Jeffglobal Commander

Well, no fire, rain or flood, but I'm on the verge of a breakout moment...there's one bottleneck that's the limiting step to almost everything else and I'm approaching the gap...:cool:

@Maverick241 suggested this block:
    [​IMG]
    It's the red one, yo.

baddkarma74 and Maverick241 like this.
  8. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ Captain

@Maverick241 @Sephrajin @Jeffglobal
    This block already exists!
    20190628090920_1.jpg
    Please be carefull with the suggestions, to ask for already existing Blocks makes the process of adding new block shapes due to our demand unnecessary complicated.

Maverick241 likes this.
  9. Jeffglobal

Jeffglobal Commander

Damn, for a second I be lazie! I'll make one file with all the already suggested blocks, and I'll check that and then the blocks in the game first...the workstation I run Cinema 4D on, I also use for Empyrion, but I'll switch and shut down CGI program for a sec, and verify...

10. Maverick241

Maverick241 Captain

Please be careful with false criticism, the block I propose has a different bend than the one that already exists. Please take a closer look.

Screenshot 2019-06-23 08.53.32.png
    For me, the bend just doesn't look right.

11. Jeffglobal

Jeffglobal Commander

Agreed, I actually interrupted my course viewing just now, and came back to verify the picture he used...now's I got's to c wit my on' eyes, to breaks the tie! I'm actually a little rainman like, and I didn't remember seeing that block, (I unconsciously and imperatively count/notice edges, I had to learn to meditate, cause it's not fun when you can't stop it). It's possible I adjusted the phong angle too low and it looks like another block...let me check...I will also be careful about adjusting the phong angle (which tells the software where a "hard" angle is and where to smooth it more...)

Wow the pic in the block menu isn't very helpful, I'll pull it out on my field of blocks...it's possible it's because of that ambiguity...

What's interesting, is now I noticed it may be able to be facetted in two ways, not just the way I did it...I'll check that too. I wonder why they included the one that goes down instead of up to facet. That's interesting all by itself.

Just so you know, Taelyn taught me that hibernate messes up the files in the OS, so I have to do a full start, but he's right, it's about as fast as hibernate. (!)

Ok, so I checked the block in game, and I can see the confusion. The block is flat facetted, ie., it's not facetted at all, but the phong angle gives the appearance of a down facet in game. The block proposed has an up facet, (which is the facet not chosen to be included as Maverick used in his example) which also probably means it's chiral (or handed, like the block nottrox suggested was there already.) It's my graphics fault, my edge wasn't clear enough, gonna see if I can fix that now.

[update: doesn't matter the phong angle, they change in slope is subtle enough that it's just hard to see both facetted ways! In my comment following, but I get why it screws the builders nonetheless.]

It's good we all check each other. That's for the feedback. Overall, it's my f'up. The distinctions we are making now are subtle enough that you just can't through it into a gif and think it's ok!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  12. Jeffglobal

Jeffglobal Commander

@nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ , @Maverick241, I see what's going on now. It's actually an issue with a block that "shouldn't be in the game 'as is.'" It's a non-facetted block that appears like the block Maverick showed in his pic and what he wanted instead, it's actually because of the place chosen (or not chosen in this case, so it's an "error" and the phong angle gives the appearance of a facet), to cut the front facing face.

The three blocks are from left to right, "consistent" with facets for blocks in the game (notice cut), the second is the facet as Maverick wanted, and third is the block in game that "appears" flat, but gives that weird facet if textured (!).

Proposed v Actual.jpg

There are only 2 or 3 blocks that "violate" the facet rule in the game, I labeled them red in my block compendium in my creative save...so I 'infer' those were an oversight? Idk

I learns somethin' new everyday!

13. Jeffglobal

Jeffglobal Commander

An EGS YouTuber requested this block into the ether, so I'm here to ask for it too. Given the person requesting is so prolific and masterful with the building system, if he wishes for it (at 37:46 in a video of his), if we didn't know we needed it, we do.

[​IMG]
    ...never know if you don't ask...
    @Hummel-o-War, if you missed it, cause I certainly did, comment#29 on this thread has clear 3D mock ups of blocks most of which I didn't do. The poster's name is @Kard, lots of good ideas. It's not noticeable because it's behind a spoiler pick, it's not a spoiler...!

I was wondering where I could submit equip ideas, i.e., "updates" of equip that haven't been done yet, and/or versions consistent with the ones that look most substance painter realistic like, making all the machines and other things consistent across the game, e.g., the new storage containers, so your graphics guy could see if any of the ideas could be useful to him?

I noticed a significant upgrade in graphics quality with the A10 PR, so he did ALOT of work.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  14. Jeffglobal

Jeffglobal Commander

[Update] I phixed the phong issue, @Maverick241 and @nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ , this way you can see the freakin facet. It was a technical issue I forgot about, down to vertex normals, which is how the phong works...
    [​IMG]
    "Can you see me now?"o_O

15. Jeffglobal

Jeffglobal Commander

DoorSWsm.png How about mo' doors? This one and the few more coming are in the exact dimensions of the games vanilla doorways. This one was inspired by Star Warz, the 1978 edition...

Which textures should I use on these blocks the most? I wonder, anyone have suggestions? I'm not decrypting their texture file in the game, I'm just making my own from screen caps...should I do the blocks in the steels, or the concrete textures, or go raw?

16. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

Missing:
    20190705005804_1.jpg

17. Jeffglobal

Jeffglobal Commander

For some reason that looks familiar, I may have made a mock up already, let me check...hmmm, at first I thought it was this block,
    AllarionnBlock1_0000.png
    but it's not...I thought I saw it though...I checked the game, and nope, not there either. I definitely thought I made this one already...will do it today...I think I "mismade" it for the block above, and didn't realize this one was needed too...ty for the input.

If possible next time, please color the sides missing in high contrast colors, and empty yo' hand. When I look at your pic, my eyes crossed and me brain had to uncross them in software...not fun...but I'll suffer for my Art!

18. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

The issue is, it would require a 'pyramid' (0nly 1 top Corner), with 1 side as 45° slope, another side as an upper 22.5° slope.

What you posted, is existing…
    However, we'd Need 'this block' with just 1 corer up, not 2.

Jeffglobal likes this.
  19. Jeffglobal

Jeffglobal Commander

The block is interesting, Sephrajin, it can be facetted in two ways, making unique blocks...and this definitely reminds me of a previous build, but I can't find it, so it must not be this block!

Meh, maybe better without the music requesting Eleon to bring them to life...also Instagram's reduction of resolution phocks with my phongs, making the edges less sharp than I'd like them to appear...such is life.
    Is this the block(s) you were looking for? [waves hand slowly and deliberately]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Sephrajin likes this.
  20. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

Absolutly!
    Thank you :)

Jeffglobal likes this.