Broken Blueprint

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by Timer, May 16, 2017.

1. Timer

Timer Commander

Here I post 1 of the at least 5 capital vessel blueprints I have been working on that are broken. Broken how you ask? It's a problem that has been complained about and I feel has received lit to no investigation from Eleon.

If you load this blueprint, pressing the "O" button will cause a massive FPS drop. Trying to edit the ship with new blocks becomes very laggy, to the point it may even randomly crash. When you reload the game the ship while registering in ents, is basically gone. The only thing that shows is a tag. My cpu usage jumps to about 80-90% and my fan sounds like my computer is ready to take off. The "glitch" seems to happen randomly when placing or deleting blocks. The game stutters for a second, and then it begins to go downhill from there.

I have filed to support about this, uninstalled, clean installed. New Playfields. Re-blueprinted. Sent it to a friend with a much better computer. (While I can play this game on full settings just fine).

The first response I got was, well it must be your computer. Turn the shadows off. The second response after I insisted it was not that as said friend had the exact same issue on his and with a few of his own blueprints. "We know what the problem is but we don't why."

It would be unfair of me to say that Eleon is totally ignoring the problem in favor of just adding new features, as I don't know what is happening behind the scenes. This is game breaking however. What good is a sandbox building game if you cant build? I have a number of hours lost on a number of ships because of this bug.

Thanks in advance.

Frustrated Timer

Attached Files:

2. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

We just spent a few days on that last week, what you need to do is a replace blocks command and sort it from there, you shouldn't have bugger all lag then, unless its huge huge and your PC is lacking in spec.

I will load your BP today and take a look at it.

3. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

@Timer Well, all I can say you're not alone. I have two ships now with the exact same symptoms - one big CV, one small CV. But its different from the issue other people are having now, laggy big ships when trying to fly them or build them. That was introduced with the latest patches, auto rotate issue has been around bit longer. I have both kinds of ships, sadly :/ I have also forwarded my issues to Eleon.

4. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Ok after looking at the ship.

My spec is i7 8 core 5960, 16g RAM, and GTX980 video.

My framerate outside your ship is 80 FPS.
    Inside the ship its 34 FPS.

Heres the real issue.

Plants take a toll on your rendering ability, you have 4 large plant gardens, not something you really should have on a ship for war as it adds lag.
    You have to many lights all set to intense.
    ALL your lights should really go on a sensor so there only actually ON when theres a player in the room, that alone will smash 70% of all the lag out of this ship.
    It has a lot of windows, the more windows you have the less lights you should have on at any one time.
    Dynamic shadows will Drill your system, window slats then show the slats on the ground in shadow, 10 times more work than if its set to low.
    Add lights to that shadow effect on slatted windows and holey frame drops.....

So a few things, I would do a replace block command first then go around and sort corner blocks etc, put all lights on a sensor and I would completely remove the gardens all together if its a war ship, but if its just a carrier then just make the garden half the size.

amurayiwestgate likes this.
  5. Timer

Timer Commander

Ill def try the replaceblocks ty. I did have all of the ship on motion sensor. Then the logic was updated and I had lost the settings. Even with the lights off it was dropping to less than 10 frames/second. Before it glitched out by placing a block it was rotating fine with no lag. So I'll try the replaceblocks and see if that fixes it.

6. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

@piddlefoot The thing is, its not about size or whatnot. Sure that can be issue on its own but this is not about that. I have size 3 ship that has the same problem. And it used to work fine - but something happened along the way.

What you mean by using replaceblocks?

7. Timer

Timer Commander

@rainyday Use the replaceblocks command to switch the ship to a different block type then back. This will "recreate" the blocks and replace the broken ones that are causing lag. At least this is what I'm assuming.

rainyday likes this.
  8. Timer

Timer Commander

@piddlefoot @rainyday
    No dice.

System: I5 4690 24gb ram. GTX 970
    Replaceblocks. Reblueprint. New Playfield. Even lowered graphics setting to lowest.

FPS outside of ship - 100
    Inside ship - 80
    Flying and rotating ship - 60
    Pressing the O button. - 3 yes 3.. im not missing a 0 here
    CPU fan Speed -1000000000000 RPM

Removing the garden using shift right click.. 5 second stutters between frame changes, Garden removed. See all of the above still. It's not laggy. Its not the system, it's not a use of windows or plants or poor decorating taste. It's broken. Somewhere along the line placing a block somewhere broke the blueprint and the ship is unplayable. Please load the blueprint in a fresh playfield and try shift click deleting the garden or other blocks and see if you can recreate the stutters.

Thanks to all for your input. I really hope this gets addressed as I know it's not me.

Edit. For the entire time the ship was in the playfield the fan was spinning quite fast, not while interacting with the ship. Just the presence of it. As soon as I used the destroy command, the pc settled right down.

oojimaflip and rainyday like this.
  9. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

@Timer Yeah replaceblocks not working for me either.

I get that stuttering too when building or just being around the ship. I have around 40-50 fps when inside the ship. But even if my vessel is precisely straight, when I press Auto Rotate FPS drops to 10 (the ship doesn't even move). If I am not level so that the ship changes direction while using Auto Rotate, FPS sinks to 1-3 and if kept pressed game can crash.

10. Timer

Timer Commander

@rainyday

Listen to your system. Is your fan spinning up when the ship is in the playfield?

When I alt-tab out and check the task manager I'm sitting in the low to mid 90pct for cpu usage.

@Hummel-o-War

Are you familiar with this issue. (Even if there is no reply, hopefully the tag gets his attention.)

11. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

12. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Another one of my ships bites the dust. Thats it, I'll start building bases :mad:

Timer likes this.
  13. Timer

Timer Commander

No kidding. Hey we have this great space SciFi building game... As long as you don't plan on building spaceships.

oojimaflip likes this.
  14. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

Same issue, seems to be a compounding problem caused by the current solution to the "bullet-through-paper-physics-problem-formerly-known-as-lagshot" problem. ;)

15. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

@oojimaflip This auto-rotate issue is actually a separate issue from the current lagshot fix related bug that preys on big rigs. This has existed before the lag shot fix. Auto rotate ships fly ok, major FPS drop/crash occurs only when using auto-rotate. But they are similarly glitchy and pausing & freezing when trying to work on with blocks, multitool etc. I have the pleasure of possessing both kinds of problem ships.

Not that it matters much, ships are pretty useless in both cases.

oojimaflip likes this.