Challenge build challenge 009

Discussion in 'Projects and Challenges' started by JupiterVessel Corp, Oct 6, 2020.

1. JupiterVessel Corp

JupiterVessel Corp Commander

Due date is nov 10th

Showcase vedio

Cv destroyer-must meet the needs of a single person cv with focus on combat

Please keep rare ore to a limit let's say no more than 1500 of zacsuim and estreum.

Steel and plastic only

Weight and vol + cpu compliant

No hidden thrusters

Cpu limit t3

Lvl 15

If you have any questions concerning the challenge tag me or pm me.

Submit your builds here on this thread or at the zerog discord https://discord.gg/Y6uRRYe

Feel free to join us on the zerg discord. We would love to hear from you. And every month we vote on the next month's zerog challenge.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  2. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

I think the 500 za/er doesnt make a lot of sense in the context of (my) normal gameplay. Either I have very little za (maybe 180 ingots) - enough for T2 shield and armor repair (planetary remant), or I have load of both za and er (because I have mined za and er asteroids) - easily enough T3/L15 CV maxed out with rocket turrets and load of 150mm ammo.

I tend to design blueprint for this with my rocket turret slots empty and avoid space combat until I have find each asteroid. Before that, sure, it can serve as a ground pounder using a load of cannons, but I'm not inclined to go hunting zirax PVs out in space with it until it is properly combat ready and instead make it a priority to find the required asteroids.

Another consideration is that a T3 is going need a decent amount of gold. Often I find some in the planetary remnant, but often I have to hunting for a gold asteroid (which often means I will have found za and er astreroids as well). Usually I end up build a 'project' CV as an L10/T2 which needs a lot of upgrade work - T3, equipment, thrusters weapons etc. I ted to prefer that as mining iron for anotehr CV get really boring fast at that game stage (or any for that matter) :)

For your challenge, I just wonder if you will end up with a load of CVs that are only half combat ready (bunch of cannons, but no rocket launcher that unlock at 12). OTOH, remove the za/er limit, and you get to play with a bunch of T3/L15 CVs in their intended combat ready state.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  3. JupiterVessel Corp

I have a build such a vessel with rockets turrets and it was cable of destory all pois I tried without losing sheilds. It was able to take down end game pois as long as i was patient I used 1000 each of estrum and zacosuim. And it did have warp and t2 sheild, full medical, a farm, plenty of storage, a large hanger. It was actually a really easy build

4. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

Sorry - maybe I wasnt clear - my comment is not about the build or how to use such a ship. Anyone who has been playing this for a while has probably done something similar, but recent game change have created a need for heavily armed mid game ships - hence this challenge I guess :)

I am questioning whether 500/500 has any meaning at all with respect to likely in game situation that a player will encounter and thus whether resulting blueprint that people make and publish end up actually being useful. If the intent is for it to be arbitrary, then fine - that's an answer :)

I figure either make it 180Za (what people should end up with from planetary remnant and probably have by lvl 12), or unlimited because they have found proper deposits (which is likely if they have enough gold too). Personally I find resources are never a problem for these kind of sized builds as I have usually found all asteroid types and if they arnt in the starting system and so accessible via a warp SV, then I have already had to go down a small T2 (as unlikely to have the gold for T3 either) warp CV route to get them.

TBH locating resources is never a problem in this once off planet, having to patience for mind numbing mining tends to be the limiting factor :)

5. JupiterVessel Corp

The limit 1500 not 500. The purpose allows you to get in to space combat alot soon with out saving up for a much more expensive battleship. There is those of us they really love space combat and want to get in it as early as possible. Also on the zero g discord I hold a vote bewteen 3 or 4 options for the challenges, this is the one that won

6. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

Yes - I see that it is now - was it 500 before as a typo here or in the discord?

If not - Im a f****** half blind idiot / reading when I'm half asleep, or not that asleep I guess if I realised that 500 didnt make any sense :)

I have a ship I was going to submit, but when I read '500', I couldnt see the point in doing so.

7. JupiterVessel Corp

Its been 1500 since I posted it. Don't feel bad, I swear every challenge someone miss reads or doesn't read it at all. You at least read it.

Khazul likes this.
  8. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

9. ProcyonLotor

ProcyonLotor Ensign

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  10. JupiterVessel Corp

ProcyonLotor likes this.
  11. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

Another T3 Exploration / Combat CV I have just published:

CD4B - Caelestis-B - it is a downgraded version of a T4/L25 vessel (CD4 - Caelestis Exploration CV / Light Destroyer) that remains fully functionally upgradable to the original. This one is made from steel instead of the original's combat steel.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2278177868

20201106154412_1.jpg 20201106153708_1.jpg 20201106065407_1.jpg

When fully upgraded it can accommodate the maximum turret and weapons compliment including artillery turrets. All turrets have line of sight to a front target. Cannons on the side can hit forward and downward targets.

Lots of signal control, offence and defence separately configured turret groups, all the usual creature comforts and large fabrication area and a large hangar with a 13x7 entrance and two levels so able to house several SVs and HVs. Also has side docking points with side facing docking pilot consoles for space stations and a station and ground mode (retract main turrets, extend point defence turrets, sentries, open back door, extend ramps etc as appropriate).

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    Germanicus and dpburke2 like this.
  12. JupiterVessel Corp

13. xpeppyx

xpeppyx Ensign

Still working on this. I havent played since the auto miners were implemented so it's been awhile. I hate working on the inside. Trying to figure out the new cargo stuff, switches and sensors right now.

upload_2020-11-9_9-31-47.png

upload_2020-11-9_9-32-9.png

upload_2020-11-9_9-32-22.png

Germanicus, dpburke2 and Khazul like this.
  14. sulusdacor

sulusdacor Captain

edit: finished version now on the workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2287144205
    Atlas_front 12.jpg
    (a version out of steel that meets the exact challenge requirements can be found in my dropbox)
    ------------------------

unfinished - unnamed ship
    (mostly lcd's work left to do)
    NewGame_576_2020-11-10_16-51-27.png NewGame_577_2020-11-10_16-57-11.png NewGame_578_2020-11-10_17-05-21.png
    the goal is to get this finished at the weekend and released on the workshop. the workshop version will be hardened steel + steel instead of the steel + plastic here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Needleship, Germanicus and Khazul like this.
  15. JupiterVessel Corp

I like that shape you got there

16. JupiterVessel Corp

Thank you everyone who entered both here and on the zerog discord I will be posting up the next zerog challenge. If you have late entry you can still add it to this thread.

Khazul likes this.
  17. JupiterVessel Corp